Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 14, 12, 3:18 pm   #1
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SIN
Programs: SQ*G
Posts: 52
MR from Singapore?

Hi guys, I'm still new in the forum and been reading stuffs..

I'm currently based in Singapore and a Krisflyer member..

Tried looking for MRs but I can't seem to find any MRs from Singapore?

Anyone?

Cheers!
Traflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 12, 3:30 pm   #2
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Internet
Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver
Posts: 809
Looked at Australia? There seems to be amazing prices to/from there right now. Maybe Jetstar? (you need to add an optional extra to earn QF miles)
Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 12, 3:33 pm   #3
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Programs: | *G | STE+ | HGP ♦ | SPG Pt | MR Au
Posts: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traflying View Post
Hi guys, I'm still new in the forum and been reading stuffs..

I'm currently based in Singapore and a Krisflyer member..

Tried looking for MRs but I can't seem to find any MRs from Singapore?

Anyone?

Cheers!
You are not going to get any MR worthy (under 4 cpm) runs from Singapore for KF on SQ, that earns you RDM.

Sorry to dash your hopes.

The lowest, I've seen are 5 cpm fares, but not on *A.

Last edited by DHalltheway; Aug 14, 12 at 3:39 pm.
DHalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 12, 3:45 pm   #4
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SIN
Programs: SQ*G
Posts: 52
Thanks a bunch for the responses!

I'm currently on KF as I travel quite often on SQ for work purposes only..

I have done some reading and research on KF and it seems that KF isn't that "beneficial" compared to other major US airlines, but too bad I'm not based in the US..

Wanted to try this mileage "game" but couldn't seem to find a better frequent flyer and more affordable ones since I'm based in Singapore..

Any suggestion?
Traflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 12, 3:58 pm   #5
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Internet
Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver
Posts: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traflying View Post
too bad I'm not based in the US..
Doesn't mean you can't join their programs. e.g. there's nothing stopping you joining AA, Delta, etc.

Since most members reside in the US, most (published) MRs involve US cities, but not always!
Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 12, 3:21 am   #6
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SIN
Programs: SQ*G
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
Doesn't mean you can't join their programs. e.g. there's nothing stopping you joining AA, Delta, etc.

Since most members reside in the US, most (published) MRs involve US cities, but not always!
Well yeah I still can join their programs..

Any suggestion if it's better if I move to another frequent flyer? Currently I'm an Elite Silver on KF because of the mileage I got from traveling for work..

But I will need one that will also accept my SQ mileage since I will need to travel on SQ for work purposes..

And I'm also looking for one that I can redeem the mileage for airlines that I usually take, maybe SQ or CX or others?

Cheers
Traflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 12, 3:10 am   #7
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: SIN,HKG,BKK
Programs: TG*G , Le Club Platinum
Posts: 55
Hi Traflying, i'm on the same boat as you! Currently am looking for a run as well.
The closest i have ever achieve was HKG-SIN-LHR-SIN-HKG on SQ. worked out to 9 cpm.
rkth90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 12, 3:18 am   #8
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: SIN, dreaming of SFO and YVR
Programs: BD *S, SQ nada
Posts: 745
Then you are looking at other FFP and not KF. I suppose you do know that you earn miles flying on SQ and credit those to other FFPs.

SQ's KF doesn't give you a min mileage either.

In my experience, there are hardly any MRs in Asia, let alone from SIN. I'm still looking for 1. Alternatively, if you have the spare capacity, try to slot 1 in if available when you're in US for work/leisure.

Most folks don't have a clue what an MR is, and they think I'm mad for convuluted flying much less an MR.
kaysquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 12, 3:43 am   #9
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Programs: A3 Blue, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors Gold, Starwood Gold, Priority Club Platinum
Posts: 342
Traflying,

I'm a Singaporean who was based in the US for the past 2 years, and I'll say that UA miles are one of the best mileage currencies around. They are a part of Star Alliance, as is SQ, and can therefore be used to accrue miles from SQ flights (except for the SQ fares that only earn 50% or 10% on KF, which do not accrue on UA at all). UA miles don't expire (unless you have had 18 months of account inactivity), they can be used to redeem award tickets on multiple Star Alliance airlines on the UA website, and UA does not charge fuel surcharges UNLIKE SQ. I recently redeemed 70k UA miles on a one-way ORD-DUS-FRA-ICN-TPE-SIN on a mix of LH F, TG C and SQ C. Total price: US$52 for taxes and fees, US$25 for booking over the phone, and US$75 for changing the date, i.e. US$152 all in. SQ will never give you something this cheap even when flying SQ C or SQ F longhaul.
sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 12, 2:42 am   #10
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SIN
Programs: SQ*G
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkth90 View Post
Hi Traflying, i'm on the same boat as you! Currently am looking for a run as well.
The closest i have ever achieve was HKG-SIN-LHR-SIN-HKG on SQ. worked out to 9 cpm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaysquare View Post
Then you are looking at other FFP and not KF. I suppose you do know that you earn miles flying on SQ and credit those to other FFPs.

SQ's KF doesn't give you a min mileage either.

In my experience, there are hardly any MRs in Asia, let alone from SIN. I'm still looking for 1. Alternatively, if you have the spare capacity, try to slot 1 in if available when you're in US for work/leisure.

Most folks don't have a clue what an MR is, and they think I'm mad for convuluted flying much less an MR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sporadic View Post
Traflying,

I'm a Singaporean who was based in the US for the past 2 years, and I'll say that UA miles are one of the best mileage currencies around. They are a part of Star Alliance, as is SQ, and can therefore be used to accrue miles from SQ flights (except for the SQ fares that only earn 50% or 10% on KF, which do not accrue on UA at all). UA miles don't expire (unless you have had 18 months of account inactivity), they can be used to redeem award tickets on multiple Star Alliance airlines on the UA website, and UA does not charge fuel surcharges UNLIKE SQ. I recently redeemed 70k UA miles on a one-way ORD-DUS-FRA-ICN-TPE-SIN on a mix of LH F, TG C and SQ C. Total price: US$52 for taxes and fees, US$25 for booking over the phone, and US$75 for changing the date, i.e. US$152 all in. SQ will never give you something this cheap even when flying SQ C or SQ F longhaul.
Thanks a bunch for the responses!

I see, too bad, I have travelled quite some miles (abt 30k) on SQ since early this year and all the miles were in KF..

I can see that UA is also a good deal since there are many Star Alliance airlines that are parts of UA.. For me, the most important thing is that I can redeem the mileage on airlines that fly from SIN, since it's where I'm currently based..

Is there any way I could transfer my 30k miles from KF to UA account?

Do you guys think it's better to keep my KF account or to open a new UA account for my next travels (which will also be on SQ)?

Cheers!
Traflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 12, 3:09 am   #11
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SIN
Programs: SQ Gold, TG, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), SPG Plat, Hyatt Gold, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Posts: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traflying View Post

Is there any way I could transfer my 30k miles from KF to UA account?

Do you guys think it's better to keep my KF account or to open a new UA account for my next travels (which will also be on SQ)?

Cheers!
1. No, you cant transfer KF miles to UA
2. I think UA Mileage Plus would be a good choice for you as some one has already mentioned
3. It is easy to earn KF miles from credit card issued in Singapore, and the earnings you can get from these credit cards in SIN are better than I have seen anywhere else, so do look at that as an option to earn KF miles. There is a thread in this forum on which credit cards are best for KF mileage accrual in SIN, so please have a look at that.
4. Sometimes there are good deals on TG, even in Business class, and these can be used as quasi Star Alliance mileage runs, although as someone mentioned, mileage runs in this part of the world are not cheap in terms of cpm
SingaporeDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 12, 3:23 am   #12
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SIN
Programs: SQ*G
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingaporeDon View Post
1. No, you cant transfer KF miles to UA
2. I think UA Mileage Plus would be a good choice for you as some one has already mentioned
3. It is easy to earn KF miles from credit card issued in Singapore, and the earnings you can get from these credit cards in SIN are better than I have seen anywhere else, so do look at that as an option to earn KF miles. There is a thread in this forum on which credit cards are best for KF mileage accrual in SIN, so please have a look at that.
4. Sometimes there are good deals on TG, even in Business class, and these can be used as quasi Star Alliance mileage runs, although as someone mentioned, mileage runs in this part of the world are not cheap in terms of cpm
Yes, I have read the thread on the credit cards that could earn KF miles, unfortunately, currently the only option for me to accrue miles is by traveling (for work)..

In this case, do you think it's better to open a new UA acc for my upcoming trip or just to stick with KF?
Traflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 12, 7:49 am   #13
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Sunny Singapore
Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
Posts: 696
Whilst I would agree that KF might not be the best choice for FF program I would beg to disagree that UA is a better choice..

I have been a UA (and KF) member for the last 10 years and traditionally UA mileage plus has been my default choice. I have always achieved *Gold with them every year.

However following their merger with Continental the picture is not so rosy..

1) Economy Plus for my 2 or 3 trips to the US annually used to be a big draw. However with their mixed fleet of ex-UA (with economy plus) and ex-CO (without) its too much of a lottery for my liking. Apart form Economy Plus seating they are really a pretty awful airline..

2) They have downgraded Mileage Plus so that elite tiers now earn less mileage bonus. I am Prem Plat and used to get 200% mileage credit but those days are gone..

3) There are zero options for earning UA top up miles in Singapore ie, no credit cards. Frustrating if you are a couple of hundred miles short of an award and have no choice but to take a flight to try and earn some miles..

4) Due to Starnet blocking, redemptions on SQ available to other FF programs within Star Alliance are far more limited than those available to KF members.

You dont mention how many miles you fly in a year. Do you reach Star Gold or higher.?

If you do, then Thai Airways would be my program of choice as status last 2 years and you get a round trip Y-J or J-F upgrade which is potentially quite valuable.. You can get ROP points off the citibank Premiermiles VISA.

If you dont, then i would just stick with KF. The increased award availability and 15% online booking discount is quite a valuable perk. You can earn KF miles from both the Citibank card and also the DBS Altitude card. This can be used to pay PUB bills etc and you might be suprised how many miles you can rack up for everyday transactions.

Finally whatever you do, make sure you accrue enough miles within your existing KF account to redeem for an award. Having got this far there is no point just leaving some orphaned miles to expire.... The cheapest Star Alliance mileage runs (day turn) I have found out of Sg are either TG SIN-BKK-SIN or UA SIN-HKG-SIN but neither are very appealing..
cmdsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 12, 10:34 pm   #14
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Programs: A3 Blue, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors Gold, Starwood Gold, Priority Club Platinum
Posts: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdsea View Post
Whilst I would agree that KF might not be the best choice for FF program I would beg to disagree that UA is a better choice..

I have been a UA (and KF) member for the last 10 years and traditionally UA mileage plus has been my default choice. I have always achieved *Gold with them every year.

However following their merger with Continental the picture is not so rosy..

1) Economy Plus for my 2 or 3 trips to the US annually used to be a big draw. However with their mixed fleet of ex-UA (with economy plus) and ex-CO (without) its too much of a lottery for my liking. Apart form Economy Plus seating they are really a pretty awful airline..

2) They have downgraded Mileage Plus so that elite tiers now earn less mileage bonus. I am Prem Plat and used to get 200% mileage credit but those days are gone..

3) There are zero options for earning UA top up miles in Singapore ie, no credit cards. Frustrating if you are a couple of hundred miles short of an award and have no choice but to take a flight to try and earn some miles..

4) Due to Starnet blocking, redemptions on SQ available to other FF programs within Star Alliance are far more limited than those available to KF members.

You dont mention how many miles you fly in a year. Do you reach Star Gold or higher.?

If you do, then Thai Airways would be my program of choice as status last 2 years and you get a round trip Y-J or J-F upgrade which is potentially quite valuable.. You can get ROP points off the citibank Premiermiles VISA.

If you dont, then i would just stick with KF. The increased award availability and 15% online booking discount is quite a valuable perk. You can earn KF miles from both the Citibank card and also the DBS Altitude card. This can be used to pay PUB bills etc and you might be suprised how many miles you can rack up for everyday transactions.

Finally whatever you do, make sure you accrue enough miles within your existing KF account to redeem for an award. Having got this far there is no point just leaving some orphaned miles to expire.... The cheapest Star Alliance mileage runs (day turn) I have found out of Sg are either TG SIN-BKK-SIN or UA SIN-HKG-SIN but neither are very appealing..
1) They are a pretty awful airline, but their mileage accrual and redemption options rock. Perhaps, to get quick Star Alliance Gold status, 19k miles on Aegean Airlines would work too

3) Miles can be purchased to top off accounts (I'm not sure about SIN-based flyers, but I'm able to buy them since I started out in the US).

4) Don't just limit redemption options to SQ. Went through the First Class Terminal at FRA when flying LH F. Loved the Porsche taking me out to the tarmac to board the plane. Flying TG F through BKK gets an hour's spa massage at the BKK Spa Lounge. Sure, The Private Room at the SKL in SIN would be lovely, though I've never made it in there. But BKK and FRA - there are many lovely experiences to be had too! Plus, award F on the TG/LH A380s are at least available in contrast to the SQ A380 Suites (and for a much lower mileage redemption rate).

The American Express Membership Rewards cards also provide options to transfer to KF, as a side note.
sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 12, 12:37 am   #15
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Sunny Singapore
Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
Posts: 696
3) Miles can be purchased to top off accounts (I'm not sure about SIN-based flyers, but I'm able to buy them since I started out in the US).

Yes. That option is available to all, not just US based members. Kinda expensive though..

Agree that LH and TG are good redemption choices in F (My favourite is the new F on the 747 where you get a proper seat and a proper bed.. ;-) but these are options that would be open to all carriers within the *A program...
cmdsea is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:20 am.