Help with first mileage run

Old Aug 8, 2012, 2:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM +Reserve; Amex Plat; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; National EE
Help with first mileage run

I am looking to book my first mileage run. Earlier today I saw some great routines on ITA, but now I am only able to find direct routings. Can anyone help me enhance the following?

Goals:
1) get to Canada to complete my Nexus interview.
2) get miles to help requalify for DL Diamond.
3) No long flights that are unlikely to get upgraded. (DL DM + reserve)
4) Have some fun ( fun = craft beer, beach, or anywhere in the Caribbean/South America)
5) CVG based, but open to DAY, IND, etc...

Currently I am able to book the following:
10/18 cvg-atl-sea
10/19 sea-atl-sju
10/21 sju-atl-sea
10/22 - Nexus interview in Blaine, WA
10/22 sea-atl-cvg

As two separate round trips:
Cvg-atl-sea-atl-cvg = $319.70 / 5360mi = 5.9CPM
Sea-atl-sju-atl-sea = $360.90 / 7460mi = 4.8CPM

Not great value, but pretty good from CVG and given my goals. Earlier today I was able to price out some great routings (cvg-atl-lax-sea) and (sea-sts-lax-jfk-sju). Unfortunately, I can't make them happen now..

So, can the pros here help me make this MR better? The only hard requirements are:.
1) .CVG (or close) departure.
2) far enough out to schedule a nexus interview.
3) Delta

Thanks for your help!
Old Aug 8, 2012, 7:59 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Is your NEXUS interview scheduled for a specific date/time? Or do you have some flexibility there?

n.b. I noticed those flights to SJU via STS-LAX in the past too (on ITA), but despite my best efforts couldn't get them to price out anywhere.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

There is some flexibility for the Nexus interview, but most of the locations are booked 12-15 weeks out.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by silvergto
There is some flexibility for the Nexus interview, but most of the locations are booked 12-15 weeks out.
What are your date/time options for this Blaine interview?
Old Aug 8, 2012, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Options are wide open after 10/22.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 9:24 pm

BLI is by far the closest airport to Blaine and would allow you to skip the Seattle traffic altogether.

To get to BLI you can go DAY-DTW-SEA-BLI-SEA-DTW-DAY for $307 (5854 miles 5.2cpm). Sample dates: Thu Oct 25, return Oct 26-27.
(DAY-MSP-SEA-BLI although a few less miles is more widely available.)

For a mileage run to SJU you can also go from DAY:
DAY-MSP-JFK-SJU-JFK-MSP-DAY for $247 (6400 miles 3.8cpm). Sample dates: Oct 30-31. If you want to stay longer there are many other dates available for $10 more.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by braffy
BLI is by far the closest airport to Blaine and would allow you to skip the Seattle traffic altogether.

To get to BLI you can go DAY-DTW-SEA-BLI-SEA-DTW-DAY for $307 (5854 miles 5.2cpm). Sample dates: Thu Oct 25, return Oct 26-27.
(DAY-MSP-SEA-BLI although a few less miles is more widely available.)

For a mileage run to SJU you can also go from DAY:
DAY-MSP-JFK-SJU-JFK-MSP-DAY for $247 (6400 miles 3.8cpm). Sample dates: Oct 30-31. If you want to stay longer there are many other dates available for $10 more.
Perfect! I didn't even know lta had service to BLI. Just racked up $1200 in vouchers for three straight bumps BOS-CVG.... So booking the above all on Delta's dime
Old Aug 10, 2012, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by silvergto
Perfect! I didn't even know lta had service to BLI. Just racked up $1200 in vouchers for three straight bumps BOS-CVG.... So booking the above all on Delta's dime
SEA-BLI is codeshare with Alaska/Horizon, but you'll get full mileage credit for it on Delta. It's on a turboprop but the 93 mile flight is less than 30 minutes in the air, so it's pretty manageable.

Nice job with the vouchers... one day I hope that will happen to me on a day when I'm not in a hurry to get where I'm going.

Did you manage to actually book the flights yet? It's been a couple of days and inventory can change fast...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.