Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Mileage run for AA EXP qualification

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2012, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Hi all. I am a newbie of a couple of hours.

I am trying to put together a MR on AA for my wife to qualify as EXP. I am EXP and Key so it would be great if she made it too. The facts are:

1) DFW home base.
2) Can travel anytime.
3) She is Plat now and needs iao 25,000 miles to hit EXP.
4) No particular budget.
5) I have a bunch of VIP's so cheaper fares with VIPS to Biz or FC would be nice but not mandatory.
6) International and or domestic is ok.

I hope I posted in the right forum and followed the rules. Thank you.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
You slightly missed the proper forum to post this in - should've been MR Discussion, which is the subforum in this one. I would also suggest that you start reading this forum regularly to get a feeling for how to structure cheap(er) MRs and to get a general idea of what is considered a good MR.

Given your requirements, your wife will have to do at least a couple of trips unless you send her out in a paid premium cabin. I would also suggest that you may want to ease her in and bokk her a short trip instead of a pure MR where she'd return back immediately without spending any time at the destination.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for that. I will restart a thread then in MR Discussion.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Everything else: Dirt
The Bos-PVG flights for $625 with an eVIP wouldn't be too bad and would rack up a ton of miles. There are some decent fares to BOS from DFW right now. Of course you could probably route through DFW on the return and "miss" the flight to Boston.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Good idea. Thank you.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by todorovic
Given your requirements, your wife will have to do at least a couple of trips unless you send her out in a paid premium cabin.
If she is qualifying via EQM, paid premium cabins don't help as it's just miles flown.

Most of the 25k can easily be done though with one round-trip to Asia, and will cost just two eVIPs for a comfortable ride. If you have time, maybe both of you should plan a vacation.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Most of the 25k can easily be done though with one round-trip to Asia, and will cost just two eVIPs for a comfortable ride. If you have time, maybe both of you should plan a vacation.
+1. Far east should be the best option to accomplish the mission in one trip without much hassle of taking too many trips.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Sounds like Asia is it. Thank you.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Is it even possible to get a decent fare for DFW-BOS-DFW-ORD-PVG for 21966 miles? or just DFW-BOS-ORD-PVG for 18972 miles?

Too bad it can't be done in a single flight. But doing a separate 3100 mile trip (or 6100 if doin the latter above itinerary) shouldn't be too bad.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Great thoughts and thanks for the itinerary. Working on it now.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt DM, SPG GLD, Hertz 5*, AMEX PLT, GE
If you're a real glutton for punishment, you can nest two roundtrips. Head to LHR then to PVG. All on AA, can use your SWUs and great way to get 25k miles without going "around the world".
Old Aug 7, 2012, 7:12 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
If you can work it into your itinerary and your wife is prequalified for the LGA DFW DEQM promotion, you might route your trip to include a RT between the cities to scoop up an extra 2,792 EQMs.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 9:15 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
I am personally doing HNL. I dont have any VIP upgrades to use, HNL is not the cheapest but you can get from the east coast in the $6xx range (EWR) and I am getting $800 from IND and not although not mileage run fares they dont require a visa and you cant beat a long weekend in Hawaii!
Old Aug 7, 2012, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by FlyingTrojan
If you're a real glutton for punishment, you can nest two roundtrips. Head to LHR then to PVG. All on AA, can use your SWUs and great way to get 25k miles without going "around the world".
Don't use LHR unless you want to pay the "luxury tax" when using EVIPs. Continuing on to another European destination often avoids this fee.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by mcgahat
I am personally doing HNL. I dont have any VIP upgrades to use, HNL is not the cheapest but you can get from the east coast in the $6xx range (EWR) and I am getting $800 from IND and not although not mileage run fares they dont require a visa and you cant beat a long weekend in Hawaii!
I am doing AAvacations after I get to OGG although HNL might work. From OGG, you can go to MDE for less than $1300 including 5 nights hotel (you could get away with only 2 nights), just be sure to click the class toggle to FIRST CLASS.

To get to OGG, just find the cheap combo in mexico/central america. Most places are cheaper than the OGG fare, so the Total from LAX to OGG through MDE is still less than $1300 with 5 days, you will have to call to book that one though. YMMV some days are way more. Thats first class all the way, but cheap hotels in MDE. I believe Belize is even less from OGG, the Hotel cost more, but the flight is less if booked with the hotel at AAvacations.

Lots of Cities to choose from, many the price for the miles is not as good.

Warning: there are restrictions that have not been imposed upon me in the past but things do change
American Airlines reserves the right to change AmericanAirlines AAdvantageŽ program rules, regulations, travel awards and special offers at any time without notice, and to end the AAdvantageŽ program with six months notice. Any such changes may affect your ability to use the awards or mileage credits that you have accumulated. Unless specified, AAdvantageŽ miles earned through this promotion/offer do not count toward elite-status qualification or Million Miler℠ status. American Airlines is not responsible for products or services offered by other participating companies. For complete details about the AAdvantageŽ program, visit www.aa.com/aadvantage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.