Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Newbie MR here, looking for some help (*A, based in YYZ)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2012, 10:03 pm
exc
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E75k

Hi guys, I'm currently AC*P, and I'm looking to get 3.8k more miles before October so I can get to AC*E for the trip I have upcoming for Dec which will push me to 50k for 2013.

Being based in YYZ I haven't seen much available running through the forums, should I try to just find a cheap fare to the US and then do the MR from there?

Anyone with experience and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Looking to do this in Aug/Sept/early Oct on a weekend, starting on Thurs night at the earliest.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 11:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by exc
Hi guys, I'm currently AC*P, and I'm looking to get 3.8k more miles before October so I can get to AC*E for the trip I have upcoming for Dec which will push me to 50k for 2013.

Being based in YYZ I haven't seen much available running through the forums, should I try to just find a cheap fare to the US and then do the MR from there?

Looking to do this in Aug/Sept/early Oct on a weekend, starting on Thurs night at the earliest.
Have you considered flying out of BUF? There are several bus companies that will take you there from Toronto.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 7:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime PE, AC Altitude SE100K-1MM
Originally Posted by exc

I'm in a similar situation looking to ensure reaching 50K for 2013. Being based in YYZ is a challenge for MRs.

I just booked my first MR for early Sept, taking advantage of AC's 50% off sale to select US markets (YYZ-YUL-BOS return for 2000 miles (with 500 minimums) @ $220 CAD), as well as a UA deal (posted in MR deals) (BOS-SFO-LAS return for 6408 miles @ $225 CAD), ultimately bringing the cpm at just over 5. Based on my perusal of the forums, 5 seems to be the threshold, and for YYZ is passable.

I was initially going to literally land in LAS and step onto another flight home (via IAH) for slightly less miles, but being my first MR, have decided to go into it gently and stay overnight in LAS before leaving.

You need fewer miles than me, so going somewhere closer in eastern US with a few connections, and taking advantage of AC's sale, will probably help you achieve your goal. Good luck.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 8:05 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
It's not easy in Canada, and YYZ and YVR in particular seem to get quite a few border jumpers @:-)

Originally Posted by braffy
Have you considered flying out of BUF? There are several bus companies that will take you there from Toronto.
Fairly lentghy discussion about geting from Toronto to BUF in the Budget Travel section (no recent posts, so a few pages back). And from what I understand, bus stops at airport proper.

Megabus has $1 advance purchase fares, though I don't know if they apply to cross border journeys. But hey, you guys can do some searching @:-)

For whatever reason BUF seems to get some good fares, so I'd look at flying from there if you don't mind the bus. And don't forget Porter who fly short hops to US and from what I understand have been known to throw out good fares (for positioning flights).

EmailKid
Old Aug 7, 2012, 8:46 pm

Programs: AC Altitude -.006k
Keep an eye on FLL and MCO flights. Sometimes pretty decent, T+ fares, same day turns, route through YUL for about about what you're looking for.

Sample from AC.com, Sept 5 YYZ-YUL-FLL-YUL-YYZ, $408, ~3768 miles, CPM 10.8 cents.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 12:31 am
exc
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E75k
Thanks, and I've certainly considered flying out of BUF,a nd if a fare is available i might
Old Aug 9, 2012, 6:07 am

Programs: DL; MileagePlus; other airlines
*A - star alliance?

can someone help me with this abbreviation?
Old Aug 9, 2012, 6:59 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by kvolvo
can someone help me with this abbreviation?
Yes. *A = Star Alliance.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glossary.php

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.