Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Have you ever met other FT users while doiing MRs?

Old Jun 24, 2012, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA (*A Silver), AA (Gold), DL

I was thinking that since we're all privy to the same MR deals here at FT, we're likley at some point to be on a MR with another person who also is on that flight because they read about it here at FT.

So, I'm curious to hear if you've ever met other FT users while doing MRs?
Old Jun 24, 2012, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Admirals Club, Marriott PLT Premier, Hertz President's Circle
Yes, doing a few LAX-MIA and turns last April. You quickly notice...
Old Jun 24, 2012, 6:23 pm

Programs: Variety of rectangular cards with my name on it
FT luggage tags (sometimes I attach them if cba) are a big sign. Also sitting next to some annoying FT'ers who throughout a TATL MR were bragging (quite loudly) about the price they paid, CPM, etc. Quite uncouth.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 6:30 pm

Programs: DL-GM, AS-MVPG, TK Elite, UA, AA, HH, SPG, PC (Starbucks Gold)
Not yet, but then again, I haven't done an MR...YET. Looking forward to something out of LAX and would love to partner with someone.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 6:33 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Quite often, yes.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 6:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...d-threads.html
Old Jun 24, 2012, 8:37 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
Yes, many. I am not very outgoing but sometimes I actually do talk with the person or they recognize me first. Other times, I just hear some discussion of the runs but if I am too tired to join in, I just eavesdrop. Especially if the runners seem to be very serious, for example, I was on a run last fall where the other guys coming back seemed to be on true runs rather than spending any time at the destination and I did not want to pipe up and be chuckled at as a poseur so I chose to say nothing at all. Even the FA talked for a bit with these guys about their run.

Originally Posted by Volator
I was thinking that since we're all privy to the same MR deals here at FT, we're likley at some point to be on a MR with another person who also is on that flight because they read about it here at FT.

Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:33 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
In Jan of 12 CA residents got 3X EQM's flying LAX-ORD/DFW RT. I remember on a Saturday 14 of us meeting at a gate in ORD awaiting return flight to LAX. There were very few UG's that day(for those who booked late) as it seemed MR's had filled all the flights.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Yes, I now have a new MR buddy at my home airport who happened to be on a MR Deal that i posted. Both of us ended up on the same flights and same hotel a few months ago
Old Jun 25, 2012, 4:43 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Volator

Have met a good amount of FTers over the years.
It depends on the deal, an airline specific deal will only see a certain group of people while a deal like the ex-RGN, and you will see alot of handles you might never have heard before

Originally Posted by pssteve
In Jan of 12 CA residents got 3X EQM's flying LAX-ORD/DFW RT. I remember on a Saturday 14 of us meeting at a gate in ORD awaiting return flight to LAX. There were very few UG's that day(for those who booked late) as it seemed MR's had filled all the flights.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...t-january.html

I was one of those that did many of those runs during January, it was a very fun month for sure
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
I was on a SFO-DFW flight back in January during TEQM and the attendant actually asked how many people were just doing MRs and about 20 or so people raised their hands.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:27 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Yes ^ and if I may, as do Tootsie-Pops
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:40 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
Met with FTers on every leg of the HKG-IST-LAX MR
Old Jun 25, 2012, 1:00 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
in 1985, aa had a fly segs & get 1st award tickets......there were 6 or so of us doing dfw-aus-okc-dfw on a couple weekends....
Old Jun 25, 2012, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend 2007, there were nearly a dozen of us on UA SYD-SFO flying the CNZ Jumbo. Several of us had flown in together at the start of the weekend too-- not coordinated, just coincidence.

Monday of Thanksgiving weekend 2009, a fellow FTer and I flew TG DPS-BKK on the return leg of the DL JFK-DPS Jumbo. We saw a little boy of maybe 10 in Royal Silk with his dad. When we boarded AF BKK-CDG, we saw the same two pax and thought, hmmm, not many people would take a TG-AF connection to get from DPS to CDG in C. When we boarded the morning flight to New York, and they were seated in front of us, it was clear. "Are you on FT?" "Yes. Screenname?" "MegatopLover, and this is ecaarch. You were in Bali with us this morning." "Yes, and this is my son. And over there's my wife and our daughter." Then the boy whips out a little notebook journal with his drawings of planes and comments like "BA F Rocks!" An FTer in the making.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.