Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Maximizing an LAX-NSI (Cameroon) Run

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2012, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-GM, AS-MVPG, TK Elite, UA, AA, HH, SPG, PC (Starbucks Gold)

Hi all...as you can see I'm new here and trying to be a quick study, but I could still use your help. So far this year, I have flown or booked 4 TATL/TPAC flights and have one more on my radar. I will likely be going to Cameroon for business and would live to maximize my efforts. I know the easiest route is through AMS or CDG, but perhaps there is a way to add a couple of segments without disrupting the price.

Here are the details

-Skyteam
-Departing from LAX July 21 or 22
-2 night stay
-Back to LAX no later than July 26 (I have a TPAC on the 27th)
-obviously, as low a CPM as possible.
-Economy fare. I wish I could get the upgrade.

Are these dates too restrictive?

This forum is incredible...so much wisdom. Thanks in advance for any tips...I'll gladly do the same as I get more knowledgable.

kstew

Last edited by kstew; May 22, 2012 at 1:41 pm
Old May 22, 2012, 3:26 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
what are the flights & the price that you don't want disrupted?....or see a ta....

edit to add....starting at lgb gets 4 segs each way....

Last edited by clacko; May 22, 2012 at 3:36 pm
Old May 22, 2012, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

I did a search with lgb and the CPM was higher with virtual the same miles. Segments don't do much for me (at this point) since most of my miles are long-haul.

Perhaps the most direct route will be the best route.

Correct me if my thinking is off...and it often is.
Old May 22, 2012, 5:57 pm
In Memoriam

is there some reason you wont post what you have found & going to buy?....flight #s, dates, $s....

you are asking people to guess or provide ta services...

Last edited by clacko; May 22, 2012 at 6:27 pm
Old May 22, 2012, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

No, not at all.

July 20-21
AF #65 LAX-CDG
AF #900 CDG-NSI

July 23
AF #901 NSI-CDG
AF#8700 (DL Code Share) CDG-CVG
AF #8844 CVG-LAX

$2482 13.8 CPM

I could move to more DL, but the price is virtually the same. Any benefits for flying DL metal? (I guess I would qualify for UG's domestically)
Old May 22, 2012, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Mileage Run Discussion is not for requesting assistance in finding a particular best-price fare from one destination to another, on specific dates.

That is a fare request, which is explicitly not permitted, in the Mileage Run Forums Information thread, here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...rums-work.html

Please read the information in the above link, so that you understand what is permitted and not permitted in the forum, as genuine 'Mileage Run Discussion', rather than a specific best-fare-request kind of question.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13766346-post6.html
What the Mileage Run Forum expects out of you:

We expect you to treat others with respect – If you can’t play nicely, you may be asked to leave.

Think before you post – if your comments are off-topic and don’t have anything to do with the original posters questions or comment, then please refrain from posting. There’s never any reason to bash another poster who may have made a mistake that you yourself may have made when you were new to Flyertalk.

If you have any questions about this, please feel free to refer to Flyertalk’s Guidelines & Rules section.
If you require any clarification on any of the points made, feel free to send a Private Message to one of the Mileage Run Moderators: rcs85551, BiziBB , jpdx or tcook052.

Any one of us is more than willing to help you out – in fact, that is part of our roles as volunteer moderators for this board. We don’t get paid to be here – we’re here because we love Flyertalk and we’re here to serve.

We expect you to share with others & post your insight and great fares you find. As you spend more time on Flyertalk & in the Mileage Run forum, you’ll soon become an expert on a lot of subjects. Amongst our non-FT friends, a lot of us FT’ers are the best when it comes to planning vacations, doing routings, and getting great fares & deals.

We expect you utilize the search function – whether you’re new or old to Flyertalk, everyone has questions sometime or another.
As said above, chances are its been asked before.
Try using the search function first. It only takes a few moments.

We expect you not to post questions regarding specific itineraries here – the Mileage Run forum is not the place for questions regarding specific itineraries.

Why?
Well to answer that question, we must first look at what exactly is a true mileage run? The forum is described as:
The place to post airfare deals conducive to mileage running, including possible pricing errors and unusually low fares.

Note: Weekly or other regularly posted fare sales are generally not considered unusually good deals.
This means that specific itineraries – itineraries that are being done with a purpose other than just to earn the miles are not really welcomed here.

In other words, if you're taking a specific trip and want help with routing to find creative ways to get those 14 segments in between SFO and LAX, post away.

Please don't ask for help in finding the best fare for such a trip. Posts of that nature will be deleted without warning. There may be some exceptions made occasionally for newer Flyertalkers – in which case, the post will be moved most likely to Travelbuzz or the airline specific forum with a redirect link left in the Mileage Run forum, however, for most of our members who have been here a while & who we feel should know better, your threads will just be deleted.

Any other discussion, such as tools, requests for assistance (with a mileage run – not for a regular “help me find a low fare” trip), etc, should be posted in the Mileage Run Discussion forum.

A general guideline for topics:

Not appropriate for either Mileage Run forum:
1) Please tell me the cheapest fare from XXX to YYY in this period.
Please, NO FARE REQUESTS. There is NOT a travel agent service on FlyerTalk. Search or Google FT for existing threads on travel booking tools, e.g. ITAsoftware, KVS and discussion of fare booking websites, which might help you find a fare - or contact a travel agent. DO NOT PM Moderators or other FTers to ask for such a travel booking. Thank you.
2) What I Did on my Mileage Run (see Trip Reports forum)
3) What Should I Do in XXX on my Mileage Run (see relevant Travel & Dining destinations forum)
4) General travel site problems, such as “ITA is down” (see TravelBuzz!)
5) Who Else Got In On This Deal [a.k.a. let’s all get together]? see (CommunityBuzz!)

Okay, now onto the fun stuff!

I need to go from XXX to YYY and can’t find any cheap fares – can I post in the Mileage Run forum for fare finding assistance? No. As stated above, the Mileage Run forum isn’t the place to ask for assistance with specific itineraries.

Okay, then where should I post & where can I find information on fares? Check out the Mileage Run Tools thread for links to various fare finding sites. If you need help with a specific itinerary and can’t figure it out after trying, you may want to consider posting in the TravelBuzz forum.

Where can I find fare codes & make sense of what everyone’s talking about? Check out the Mileage Run Tools thread for information on this. Need a guide to the abbreviations, try using the Flyertalk Glossary.

How do I book a trip with multiple segments? First, you’ll need to find the routing rules of a particular fare (building a test itinerary on Expedia & checking the fare rules is a good way of getting this information) – from there, after reading the basic information on the posts in the Mileage Run Tools thread, you can try using the airline or third-party distributor’s (Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, etc) Multi-City Routing Page to build the itinerary. Note that the particular fare class bucket must be available.

Thanks for taking the time to read this & once again, Welcome to the Mileage Run Forum!

Sincerely,
rcs85551, BiziBB, jpdx & tcook052
The Mileage Run Forum Moderators
Best regards,
BiziBB, Moderator Mileage Run forums
Old May 22, 2012, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Holy cow...I never requested a fare. I am traveling on business and I asked this forum for help on routing to maximize my mileage.

I was asked what my dates/times/flights were...I responded accordingly.

I'm new here and I was just asking this forum for from friendly eyes to take a look at my route and see if I was missing any mileage opportunities.

I'm not sure why you posted the rules?

Thanks
Kstew
Old May 23, 2012, 6:45 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by kstew
Holy cow...I never requested a fare. I am traveling on business and I asked this forum for help on routing to maximize my mileage.

I was asked what my dates/times/flights were...I responded accordingly.

I'm new here and I was just asking this forum for from friendly eyes to take a look at my route and see if I was missing any mileage opportunities.

I'm not sure why you posted the rules?

Thanks
Kstew
i felt from the start that this wasn't a fare request, but when no fare is posted for specific cities for dates, its a fare request....but, some one who might try to help doesn't know when they have found an improvement....if i price it and come up w/ a different #, we are on different pages.....
Old May 23, 2012, 7:05 am
In Memoriam

in the op, you gave some details, but left out the most important one, what this is all about, the $....

btw, have you looked at douala?
Old May 23, 2012, 10:10 am
In Memoriam

going north/south/further across europe or trying to connect in africa all go way up in cost.....perhaps you have the best....good luck..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.