Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

How to efficiently earn UA qualifying segments?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2012, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: United

I am 16 segments short of the Gold level in 2012. What is the most cost and time efficient way to get these flight segments. I don't mind traveling internationally, or via partner airlines, if it's efficent. Thanks in advance.
Old May 7, 2012, 1:48 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Do mileage runs...
If you are in US, don't fly international as domestic flights are cheap and you can usually just add in segments for free. Just check the mileage run deals forum every day.
Old May 7, 2012, 9:59 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
is there a need by date?

max $/seg?

where can you start the run ?

look at oak/sjc from lax/etc....recently had $50ish/seg on us...

Last edited by clacko; May 7, 2012 at 11:04 am
Old May 7, 2012, 11:30 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by clacko
is there a need by date?

max $/seg?

where can you start the run ?

look at oak/sjc from lax/etc....recently had $50ish/seg on us...
As much as you may hate it, the best segment deals are consistently with US in and around the Atlantic coast. They'll run an occasional deal out of DCA... I remember seeing BUF-PHL-DCA-PHL-ALB-PHL-DCA-PHL-BUF for less than $200 last year (less than $25 per segment.) It required an overnight in Albany though.

But status on segments is tough slogging... trust me, I know.
Old May 7, 2012, 1:36 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by sfbaysailor
I am 16 segments short of the Gold level in 2012. What is the most cost and time efficient way to get these flight segments. I don't mind traveling internationally, or via partner airlines, if it's efficent. Thanks in advance.
how about looking at your request & w/only the info posted, answer it as though it was from another ffer.....

or, perhaps post some detail.....

most efficient is probably be doing it 3 days.....5 segs each day w/a red eye back to where ever you start....
Old May 7, 2012, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

I am based near SFO with UA program. Does the partner like USAir segment count toward UA status (I know the mileages do.)

The multi-segment booking page on the UA site only allows up to 6 segments. Somehow, I need to have a way to interactively add segments to build up to a RT itn, say to a east coast city.
Old May 7, 2012, 6:03 pm
In Memoriam

I am based near SFO with UA program. Does the partner like USAir segment count toward UA status (I know the mileages do.)

The multi-segment booking page on the UA site only allows up to 6 segments. Somehow, I need to have a way to interactively add segments to build up to a RT itn, say to a east coast city.
you get credit for each us segment....if the seg is less than 500 mi, you only get the actual rdm [no 500 min iirc]....don't sweat this....

for 16 segs, 4 4 seg trips on 4 tickets will do it....only get into more than 4 or 5 segs on a ticket if its a really good price....

i have seen 4 seg sfo-lax [i think] on us for ~ $200....so maybe 2 trips on 2 weekends....or whenever....

when do you need the status?......if by dec, then i would not hurry but take any $35-40 segs...if earlier for perks/bags on vacation or other, maybe hurry...

edit to add.....a quick look didn't find any $200 4 seg trips which were there in early mar....but i'm not sure we are on the same page yet...

Last edited by clacko; May 7, 2012 at 6:54 pm
Old May 8, 2012, 8:25 am
In Memoriam

i've looked some more, but $100/seg seems to be what can be done....

for example, 5/23 oak-ont, 5 segs $480.....

if you could post when you can do runs [days of the week] max $/seg & the date you need the status, and what you mean by efficient [a sample/imaginary trip], perhaps it will generate something that you can use....i would think in terms of 4 days, 4 segs/day & sleep at home....

also, if you have trips coming up, post them....you may be able to stick in a few segs....

edit to add....look at the mr deals forum for possible decent fares that you might be able to use....

Last edited by clacko; May 8, 2012 at 8:52 am
Old May 9, 2012, 8:32 am
In Memoriam

there is a 6 seg itin oak-cos on us that can be done in 1 day.....
Old May 9, 2012, 9:20 am
Original Poster

My job first half this year required me to make regular trips between SFO and SNA. By the end of next week, I will have 47 segments. After that, I am not required to travel -so I need 13 segments to get to the gold status by the end of year.

Can you show the details of :

5/23 oak-ont, 5 segs $480
6 seg itin oak-cos

Thanks in advance.
Old May 9, 2012, 10:50 am
In Memoriam

My job first half this year required me to make regular trips between SFO and SNA. By the end of next week, I will have 47 segments. After that, I am not required to travel -so I need 13 segments to get to the gold status by the end of year.

Can you show the details of :

5/23 oak-ont, 5 segs $480
6 seg itin oak-cos

Thanks in advance.
i use orbitz unless only 1 carrier will work.....

any personal travel where the status might be useful to get earlier?....

in your shoes, i would study wn routes that ua/us mirror from your area [or maybe lax]in case wn does one of their 3 day sales... you can jump on any match quickly....

and definitely hold out for $50ish/seg....
Old May 9, 2012, 11:10 am
In Memoriam

5/23 sfo-las 4 segs on us $180 [1 ticket left].....you may want to check this route if you can fly mid week...

note....be aware of 14 day advance purchase.....

Last edited by clacko; May 9, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.