Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(Gone) RGN - SFO in F $450 one way AI; other N. America cities included

(Gone) RGN - SFO in F $450 one way AI; other N. America cities included

Old May 3, 2012, 3:46 pm

Here’s a brain dump from years of working at an airline. Thanks to the various FTers who provided additional insight too.

For those who would like to file a complaint with the DOT, here are some tips and a boilerplate message that you can start with. Remember, every complaint counts and is MUST be replied to within 30 days.

For reference, April 2012 the DOT recorded only 10 complaints specifically related to fares, and 5 related to advertising for international carriers & agencies.

In a nutshell, your complaint will be handled by a DOT analyst, who will forward your complaint to the agency/airline. The party will have 30 days to reply to you.

I would expect a heavy focus from the DOT on KE if enough of these start rolling in.

Filing A Complaint:
You can file your complaint online at http://airconsumer.dot.gov/escomplaint/ES.cfm

You can attach documents, and I would suggest including the following at the minimum:

1. DOC/PDF Copy of your receipt/email confirmation
2. DOC/PDF Copy of your credit card statement

Note: Most credit card statements will have the airline ticket number within the transaction if you’re unable to pull it up anymore.

Sample Note:

I purchased my ticket on <date> from <agency> and received an email confirmation from <agency> on <date>.

My confirmation email showed that my flights had been confirmed, my record locators had been created, and ticket number 180 XXX XXX XXXX had been issued.

In addition, my credit card was charged in full in the amount of $XXX.XX by <airline/agency> on <date>.

I was contacted by <agency/airline> via <method> on <date>, and informed that Korean Air would not honor this ticket at the quoted fare due to a pricing error on their part.

Per 14 CFR 399.84, I was not advised that my ticket price was subject to change, and I believe this action by Korean Air to cancel my ticket is an unfair and deceptive practice in violation of 49 U.S.C. § 41712.

Furthermore, guidance from the DOT provided #8 at (http://www.airconsumer.dot.gov/rules...-2012final.doc) appears to apply to this situation.
I’m asking the DOT to investigate this matter further with Korean Air <and agency> to determine why this happened, and for my ticket to be reinstated.

Hopefully it'll get KE going on compensation and/or reinstatement plans, or other recourse as the DOT begins to focus on this.
Old May 3, 2012, 3:47 pm

Programs: *A G, ST Elite+, Marriott Silver, Hertz#1 Club Gold
This afternoon booked on CA for 2 pax in September: RGN-SIN-PER-JNB for ~ $850
will have around 18h stop in both SIN and PER.
do not have yet etkt #
Old May 3, 2012, 3:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA *S, SPG/MR Gold, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, pleb in all the rest
Originally Posted by flying_q
I'm not taking any sides here, but I really don't understand why people think its so difficult to get to RGN. It's 30k miles to fly to BKK/KUL on *A, and a $65 dollar Air Asia flight to RGN. Not really a break the bank investment at the rate most of us earn miles.

And, why wouldn't someone want to go to RGN? It's not that far out of the way to catch a flight home from SE Asia.
As a heads-up, don't forget you can book *A all the way in to RGN. Most of us are flying out of Myanmar on TG or SQ, and those planes have to get to RGN somehow
Old May 3, 2012, 3:52 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by canadian_golf_guy
As a heads-up, don't forget you can book *A all the way in to RGN. Most of us are flying out of Myanmar on TG or SQ, and those planes have to get to RGN somehow
There are multiple ways to do it on *A; Air China fly there from Beijing (1-stop via Kunming), as do TG from BKK. The SQ flight is operated by SilkAir and thus not eligible for *A redemptions.
Old May 3, 2012, 3:53 pm

Programs: SQ
Am I the only one flying on Myanmar Airlines or whatever it is?

Amazingly enough, there are still flights available for booking!
Old May 3, 2012, 3:56 pm

DOT and Korean Air

Last edited by nschloss123; May 7, 2012 at 9:05 am
Old May 3, 2012, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
for those looking to mail legal corrispondence to Vayama and or Korean Air Lines here are their designated agents in california

Entity Name: KOREAN AIR LINES CO., LTD.
Entity Number: C2219811
Date Filed: 02/23/2000
Jurisdiction: KOREA
Entity Address: 6101 W IMPERIAL HWY
Entity City, State, Zip: LOS ANGELES CA 90045
Agent for Service of Process: C T CORPORATION SYSTEM
Agent Address: 818 W SEVENTH ST
Agent City, State, Zip: LOS ANGELES CA 90017

Entity Name: AIRTRADE INTERNATIONAL INC.
Entity Number: C2800054
Date Filed: 09/01/2005
Jurisdiction: GEORGIA
Entity Address: 1975 W EL CAMINO REAL, SUITE 204
Entity City, State, Zip: MOUNTAIN VIEW CA 94040
Agent for Service of Process: TANMAY KAR
Agent Address: 1975 W EL CAMINO REAL, SUITE 204
Agent City, State, Zip: MOUNTAIN VIEW CA 94040
Old May 3, 2012, 4:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
I can still see fares available from RGN to JNB... anything still out there to the US?

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
Am I the only one flying on Myanmar Airlines or whatever it is?
On my positioning flight, yes.

Lufthansa only allows one-way redemptions on the Miles & More airlines (Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian, etc.), so I am flying to Bangkok on an award and then flying to Rangoon on Myanmar Airways. 4500 Baht, about 145 USD. Not bad at all. Bangkok Airways wanted double that, Thai nearly triple.

AirAsia would have been cheaper, but I have had bad experiences with them in the past.

Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
How are you getting to RGN? How many miles are you spending vs earning?

I'm not saying it isn't fun. I bought one of the tickets. Suing and wasting endless hours of time over it isn't fun, and having lots of money that is mine tied up also isn't fun.
Since it was a genuine fare, the only potential drawback is the destination iself - only because it was the orignating point. The transfers, the destination, dates and ability to construct a round trip or one way itnerary make it quite convient for anyone to use.
If being carefull with planning, I'm sure you'd be able to make out with a nice Y/F round trip for 500 USD or so given the number of miles you'd get.
Old May 3, 2012, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by D-AIHZ
On my positioning flight, yes.

Lufthansa only allows one-way redemptions on the Miles & More airlines (Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian, etc.), so I am flying to Bangkok on an award and then flying to Rangoon on Myanmar Airways. 4500 Baht, about 145 USD. Not bad at all. Bangkok Airways wanted double that, Thai nearly triple.

AirAsia would have been cheaper, but I have had bad experiences with them in the past.
Won't one way redemption open for all *A members from 1 Sep with M&M?
Old May 3, 2012, 4:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA *S, SPG/MR Gold, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, pleb in all the rest
Originally Posted by dll
There are multiple ways to do it on *A; Air China fly there from Beijing (1-stop via Kunming), as do TG from BKK. The SQ flight is operated by SilkAir and thus not eligible for *A redemptions.
OK good to know. Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't know that the SilkAir flights weren't eligible.
Old May 3, 2012, 4:06 pm

You might also be able to use UA miles to position to RGN with Qatar Airways. They are starting RGN service later this year, I believe.
Old May 3, 2012, 4:11 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Lack
Won't one way redemption open for all *A members from 1 Sep with M&M?
Yes, but my trip will be before that happens.

Originally Posted by tlott
You might also be able to use UA miles to position to RGN with Qatar Airways. They are starting RGN service later this year, I believe.
In October, but I have forgotten the exact date.
Old May 3, 2012, 4:12 pm

Programs: Volaris, UA Nothing
DOT complaint submitted for my Vayama KE F cancelled tickets.

Thanks a330300 ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.