Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(Gone) RGN - SFO in F $450 one way AI; other N. America cities included

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Gone) RGN - SFO in F $450 one way AI; other N. America cities included

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2013, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by imm2b
Isn't TG305 BKK-RGN (17:55-18:40) the same plane as TG306 RGN-BKK (19:45-21:40)? I wouldn't think there would be any risk since it's the same plane. I was in RGN recently, it's a small airport, after I got off my flight, the airport agent seems to be familiar with these "RGN Pax" and offered to take me directly to the departure hall to catch my TG306 flight. The hard part is to convince TG to let you board in BKK without visa.
I think without paperwork - this is actually more likely to work then the 5 hour connection. I've read here its been done.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 6:09 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by hobo13
Where did you meet the airport agent? Right after you got off the plane? At the VOA desk? I'm very interested in this as well. Just wondering about the who/when/where to ask to best make a quick turn happen.
I did an immediate turn as well. Had RGN-BKK boarding pass printed in BKK. As soon as I got off the plane I talked to a purple coat TG person on the jetbridge. They simply ushered me through the glass doors at the end of the jetbridge that puts you at the boarding gate for the outbound flight.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:00 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
How did that connection work out for you?

I am considering doing the same . Would it be risky to check a bag in such a situation, or would TG simply be able to ticket it through to SIN (and beyond) as with any connecting flight?

Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
I will have the flight to RGN on TG in a couple of days. Arriving at 8:40a.m., and taking the flight out to SIN (as the R1 ticket) at 10:40a.m.. I do have a visa, but would it be possible to not have it used(as single entry) as I tell them I am making the *connection* to Singapore within only two hours? That will save a lot of hassle of getting another visa over and over again, as I have quite a few of RGN tickets to do.

Any advice will be deeply appreciated.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:46 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Since we have a lot of discussion about TWOV and quick-turns, here's our situation which I would like advice on.

Currently ticketed:

BKK-RGN on the TG ~1PM as an award ticket.
RGN-BKK on the TG 7PM as our R1 ticket

We have tourist visas in our passports so boarding in BKK will not be a problem. We would prefer to keep our visas intact for our second trip next month. So we'll remain airside in the lounge for this layover.

The question which we are debating is as follows:

A. Move the BKK-RGN award flight to the 5 PM such that we make a quick turn in RGN onto our RGN-BKK R1 ticket.

B. Attempt to standby onto the earlier RGN-BKK flight, such that we make a quick turn from our BKK-RGN award flight onto the same plane RGN-BKK as a stanby passenger.

Analysis

Option A:
If we fail to convince TG / RGN staff to let us do the quickturn, this is BAD since it is our R1 ticket and might be a nightmare to get rebooked. Since other FTers have done this, perhaps fairly high probability of success, but if it fails, high consequences.

Option B:
This is preferred for us. We have an overnight connection in BKK, and a longer night would be nicer. If we fail to convince them to let us go standby, we just wait in the lounge. No downside risk at all. But getting standby from TG on this atypical ticket might be low. (at least one denial in this thread) So I would say this is a relatively lower probability of success, but with low (or no) consequences.

Based on the downside Risk of A, we would only want to do that if we were absolutely sure that TG staff would usher us through the magic door! And my risk-averse nature says to just go with Option B even if it is a lower chance of success.

(And yes, I've been known to overthink things......)

Last edited by hobo13; Jan 19, 2013 at 10:53 am
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
This morning, I successfully finished my first R1 trip. It was RGN to GIG, purchased on CheapoAir and on JL ticket stock. No problems along the way at all.

The only hiccup (that was resolved very successfully) was a few months ago. I had several segments within the USA on AA (doing some hub hopping). One of the flight numbers changed, and the automated systems just couldn't resolve it. Instead of calling Cheapo, I tried my luck by calling AA directly, and it was great. Best part was that they reissued the ticket, so I actually flew on a 001 stock ticket.

Many thanks to the OP for this one... it was a long couple of days to get here to Rio, but a wonderful MR.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 2:17 pm

Programs: US Silver, UA Plat, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Refunds

Good news: Moving to Europe for the foreseeable future
Bad news: I will no longer be positioned for my Round 1 (KE) and Round 2s.

Anyone have an experience with refunding these? I recall reading a post or two about it eons ago, but anything recent?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by jmk2135
Anyone have an experience with refunding these? I recall reading a post or two about it eons ago, but anything recent?
I refunded two round one tickets, no problem at all.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They are fully refundable tickets. It may take some time but you will get your refund.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TerryK
They are fully refundable tickets. It may take some time but you will get your refund.
Having refunded about 3 sets of R3's with TL/XP, I must concur. You wait on-hold while they call the airline to verify that it is indeed refundable. Of course, it says REFUNDABLE right on their screen, but for some reason they still need to call. And if they are plated on a carrier (UX) whose US office isn't open except during the week, forget calling on the weekend. I think it was XP in India that told me they couldn't call the UX office in Sri Lanka directly cause their phones will only call US numbers .... (I do believe the guy -- I imagine that it's like one big pseudo-VPN such that the off-shore call centers feel just like they are in the US... but the logic just kills!)
Old Jan 19, 2013, 5:53 pm

Since we have a lot of discussion about TWOV and quick-turns, here's our situation which I would like advice on.

Currently ticketed:

BKK-RGN on the TG ~1PM as an award ticket.
RGN-BKK on the TG 7PM as our R1 ticket

We have tourist visas in our passports so boarding in BKK will not be a problem. We would prefer to keep our visas intact for our second trip next month. So we'll remain airside in the lounge for this layover.

The question which we are debating is as follows:

A. Move the BKK-RGN award flight to the 5 PM such that we make a quick turn in RGN onto our RGN-BKK R1 ticket.

B. Attempt to standby onto the earlier RGN-BKK flight, such that we make a quick turn from our BKK-RGN award flight onto the same plane RGN-BKK as a stanby passenger.
I had the same situation on my R1 which started 01 Jan. Thought about doing your option A only, but eventually decided to leave as originally booked, ie TG 301, wait 5 hours in departure lounge, then TG 306. Did not have to use my MY visa as TG staff took me directly to departure lounge.

My suggestion: leave exactly as you have it booked, and just suffer the 5 hour wait. TG staff at RGN will likely take you straight to departure lounge without your having to use your visa. They will take your passport and return later with passport and new boarding pass, but during that time, I could not wait in TG's business lounge, only in an empty (except for some chairs/desks) transit lounge in the main departure hall. Perhaps you could ask TG staff to let you wait in the biz lounge instead. Just my opinion.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by tangoll
I had the same situation on my R1 which started 01 Jan. Thought about doing your option A only, but eventually decided to leave as originally booked, ie TG 301, wait 5 hours in departure lounge, then TG 306. Did not have to use my MY visa as TG staff took me directly to departure lounge.

My suggestion: leave exactly as you have it booked, and just suffer the 5 hour wait. TG staff at RGN will likely take you straight to departure lounge without your having to use your visa. They will take your passport and return later with passport and new boarding pass, but during that time, I could not wait in TG's business lounge, only in an empty (except for some chairs/desks) transit lounge in the main departure hall. Perhaps you could ask TG staff to let you wait in the biz lounge instead. Just my opinion.
Thanks for the comments. Did you try to standby on the earlier flight?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 9:04 pm

Thanks for the comments. Did you try to standby on the earlier flight?
No, I did not want to do anything that might affect the first segment of my R1 flight. Neither did the TG staff at RGN suggest taking the earlier flight as an option.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 9:31 pm

No, I did not want to do anything that might affect the first segment of my R1 flight. Neither did the TG staff at RGN suggest taking the earlier flight as an option.
Yup, it seems that would be the downside of that approach.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat

I did one two weeks ago and got the refund back in 3-4 days.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
I think I will stick with that option. Now to figure out how to get TG to let me on the 1pm flight without paperwork.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.