Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(Gone) RGN - SFO in F $450 one way AI; other N. America cities included

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Gone) RGN - SFO in F $450 one way AI; other N. America cities included

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2012, 2:11 am

Programs: AA Gold, VA Plat, A3 Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by masshupoteto
gary_nj, is your itinerary still pulling up on Amadeus? I can see mine if I view the search history, but without checking that box, I get an error that says "rloc/last name invalid."
I have the same on my ANA R2 ticket after some delta schedule changes to NRT-SEA and SEA-YVR called ANA and they said nothing wrong and I could fly the ticket as it is. Shows fine on ANA, Delta and checkmytrip.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by masshupoteto
gary_nj, is your itinerary still pulling up on Amadeus? I can see mine if I view the search history, but without checking that box, I get an error that says "rloc/last name invalid."
This is an Amadeus IT glitch rather than RGN ticket issue. Amadeus does the same for my award reservations.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 9:45 am

atomicc8 and SK AAR, thanks very much for your input! I feel reassured. Also, I gave JL a call earlier this evening and they said the tickets are confirmed. We're flying out tomorrow afternoon so fingers crossed everything goes smoothly.

I was thinking of writing up a trip report later but in case anyone would like an update about visa on arrival or currency, here are some observations from earlier today...

- Visa on Arrival went without any problems. The immigration officers actually had every person's paperwork carefully laid out with little printouts of passport photos. We stood in silence for about 10 minutes as they processed the paperwork, threw the papers onto a huge stack behind them, and then stapled the visas into our passports.

- You definitely should have printouts of all the correspondence with Visa on Arrival people ready for people in BKK. They checked twice for those printouts -- at the bag drop and also at the gate.

- There are now two Mastercard ATMs in the airport. There were some foreigners using them. There are also two currency exchange kiosks (plus one before customs but it was closed) and those had much more traffic than the ATMs. We saw one person have their two pristine $100 bills declined... The guy behind the counter was pointing at the serial numbers. :| Might be good to have spares just in case.

- As of 12/22/2012, the rate is 852 kyats for $100 bills and 842 kyats for $50, $20, $10 and $5 bills. Surprisingly, they took our not-so-pristine $20 bills without much hassle. I just checked xe.com and the official rate is 856 kyat to $1 USD, so exchanging $100 is a real good deal.

- There's a taxi stand next to the exchange kiosks. We paid 8,000 kyats to get to Traders and there are other set prices to Sedona, etc. I'm pretty sure you could haggle the price down a bit outside but I'm terrible at it so I didn't attempt.

- The Shwedagon is amazing and a must-see at night (closes at 10 pm). $5 USD entrance fee (you get a sticker) and no shoes or socks. Beware of the giant bugs running around!!!
Old Dec 23, 2012, 8:08 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Visa information

I passed through RGN on Friday on my round one ticket.

I connected from Perth to Yangon via Singapore on 3K. At check-in in Perth, there was no question about a visa from the agent, nor did she look into my passport for one. On boarding in RGN, the agent asked if I had a visa. I said I was getting a transit visa on arrival and she had no issue and I boarded.

At RGN, I proceeded to the visa on arrival desk, which is a short distance prior to the immigration processing desks. There I presented my completed visa on arrival form and passport photo and it was all taken care of in less than 10 minutes, all without question.

(At the VOA desk, there was a number of prearranged VOA forms waiting for their owners. It what can only be described as a huge breach of privacy, peoples' personal information (name, nationality, passport number, DOB etc.) were there free for anyone to look at.)

Importantly, I had a new, actual 30-day tourist visa already pasted into my passport. I'd got this from the very inefficient Myanmar Embassy in Canberra as I was concerned that I would be denied boarding without a valid visa, despite the VOA (and transit VOA) process. The immigration officer completing my VOA application noted this and I told him that I didn't want to use that now as I was returning later for a stay greater than 24 hours. He had no issue with that and proceeded with the VOA-stapled visa.

Also important was the fact I didn't have to pay the USD20. This may have been because I made it known I was turning back around on an MI flight in just a couple of hours.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 8:42 am

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
Im on a round 1 ke ticket flying tomorrow 24th. Was able to checkin for my TG flight to bkk already.

Does anyone know what lounge i can use in bkk if flying KE F? And if it has a Shower? Been in Myanmar a few days and a bit grimey after going to dusty Bagan. Cold showers aren't cutting it..
Old Dec 23, 2012, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by aaron1262
Does anyone know what lounge i can use in bkk if flying KE F? And if it has a Shower? Been in Myanmar a few days and a bit grimey after going to dusty Bagan. Cold showers aren't cutting it..
Did this last month.
You are entitled to use any CIP lounge, a little confusing since there are seemingly dozens of CIP lounges at BKK. The one with the KE First sign didn't have showers so I move on the one that did, one closer to the G2 departure gate.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:43 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
I have a business class trip on DL/AF stock with Bangkok Airways and TG segments, neither website recognizes the confirmation codes I have for the respective airlines. I don't know which GDS or whatever you call it to use to view the trip but I've tried every one I know (checkmytrip, Amadeus, Viewtrip, Mytripaondmore, Virtually There) and can't find a way to pull up the reservation. Travel*city says everything is ok, but so far they haven't been able to get me seat assignments (I can login to Delta.com and select my seat on their flight).

Is there anyway to view the full reservation online and confirm all of the ticket is in good standing?

Is there anyway to get advanced seat assignments on TG or do I have to wait for checkin?
Old Dec 23, 2012, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
Originally Posted by GrizShel
Is there anyway to get advanced seat assignments on TG or do I have to wait for checkin?
I've always had success at phoning THAI and asking for my record locator. With that I have pulled up the reservation on the TG website. I am not sure about advance seat assignments on RGN-BKK, but the TG phone people in the US have always been very good when I have reached them.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gary_nj
I've always had success at phoning THAI and asking for my record locator. With that I have pulled up the reservation on the TG website. I am not sure about advance seat assignments on RGN-BKK, but the TG phone people in the US have always been very good when I have reached them.
I called TG and was able to pre-select seats on RGN-BKK even in Y.
With my *G status, I asked and agent assigned me a bulkhead aisle.
Most likely a nice coincidence, but I had unoccupied seat beside me both ways, on very full flights.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 7:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Despite my best efforts to get the TG RGN-BKK sector properly associated before leaving, it looks like at T-7 it dropped off. As I'm currently in Thailand until leaving for RGN in a few days, what have others found as the most effective way to get this issue resolved? It sounds like vayama has been relatively useless, should I contact TG directly? If so, do I call local TG office, US TGoffice, email? Thanks in advance for the help.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 1:08 am

Question for those in the know: having read so many stories about different ticket numbers that cause problems, am I opening a can of worms, if I just call the airlines to simply ask for the ticket number they have in their system? If I don't ask for any changes am I still drawing attention just for the ticket number? I'm flying in a few days and I'm really anxious to know if my ticket is still good with them. Thanks for any input that you may have!!
Old Dec 24, 2012, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfoactuary
Despite my best efforts to get the TG RGN-BKK sector properly associated before leaving, it looks like at T-7 it dropped off. As I'm currently in Thailand until leaving for RGN in a few days, what have others found as the most effective way to get this issue resolved? It sounds like vayama has been relatively useless, should I contact TG directly? If so, do I call local TG office, US TGoffice, email? Thanks in advance for the help.
What do you mean it "dropped off"? While it is ideal to have it associated, anecdotal evidence suggests that may not be critical. I would call TG first and make sure they can see the ETKT. If this is a KE F ticket issued by KE, you may want to call KE and ask them reconfirm the ETKT to TG. If you have Skype and prefer English, you may want to call either the US or Australian numbers.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Weird my original TG flight shows as cancelled and they have waitlisted me on a earlier flight.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onlysuites
Weird my original TG flight shows as cancelled and they have waitlisted me on a earlier flight.
What is your itinerary and which OTA issued it?
Old Dec 24, 2012, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SFO777
What is your itinerary and which OTA issued it?
RGN-BKK-DOH-SAO and back. Issued by travelocity. Looks like QR has brought forward its flight to DOH by a few hrs.

Wonder why its waitlisted as the TG flight is wide open.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.