Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Transfer LGA to EWR Cheapest way to do it

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2011, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Explorer card, AA Plat, Copa Plat, IHG Plat,

What is the easiest and least exppensive way to get from LGA to EWR ? I hope some New Yorker can help with this
Old Mar 23, 2011, 4:16 pm
iss

Programs: Delta Skymiles, AAdvantage
I've done this route and it is a bit time consuming but it's very cheap. It can be done in about 1.5-2 hrs depending on traffic.

1)At LGA exit terminal and buy metrocard from vending machine in central terminal. follow signs to the public city buses. Take the "Q33" to the last stop. (cost: $2.25)

2)Follow crowd downstairs to the subway (E,F,M,R trains). Take the "E" train to the last stop (World Trade Center).
(Make sure you are on the platform with trains heading towards "manhattan and brooklyn" and not "queens and jamaica")
(cost: free transfer only if using metrocard)

3)Exit station and walk one block to the "PATH" station. (These are trains going to New Jersey and a different system from NYC subways so you must buy a different ticket from vending machine) Take train going towards newark penn station.
(cost is 1.75)

4)Get off at Newark Penn station. Exit train station and go through exit that says "raymond street" to the bus lanes. Get on the #62 bus to Newark airport which stops at all terminals.
(cost 1.50)

total one way cost is 5.50.

A slightly more expensive alternative method would be to:
-take the Q33 to the last stop like above
-transfer to E train and get off at 34th street penn station.
-exit subway station and walk around the corner to NY's Penn Station (not to be confused with Newark Penn station)
-Buy a combo NJ transit railroad/airtrain ticket to EWR.

Last edited by iss; Mar 23, 2011 at 4:36 pm
Old Mar 23, 2011, 4:21 pm

Programs: Bonvoy - LIFETIME!!! Titanium ; AA - Platinum 2 Million Miler;
Hi - You can take a NY Airport Service bus from LGA to Penn Station NYC for $12. Then catch the NJ Transit train from Penn Station NYC to EWR for $12.50. So that's $24.50 for the two combined. I am sure somebody can figure out how to get from LGA to EWR via subway for a bit cheaper but this is the cheapest way in my opinion.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by iss
I've done this route and it is a bit time consuming but it's very cheap. It can be done in about 1.5-2 hrs depending on traffic.

1)At LGA exit terminal and buy metrocard from vending machine in central terminal. follow signs to the public city buses. Take the "Q33" to the last stop. (cost: $2.25)

2)Follow crowd downstairs to the subway (E,F,M,R trains). Take the "E" train to the last stop (World Trade Center).

3)Exit station and walk one block to the "PATH" station. (These are trains going to New Jersey and a different system from NYC subways so you must buy a different ticket from vending machine) Take train going towards newark penn station.
(cost is 1.75)

4)Get off at Newark Penn station. Exit train station and go through exit that says "raymond street" to the bus lanes. Get on the #62 bus to Newark airport which stops at all terminals.
(cost 1.50)

-exit subway station and walk around the corner to NY's Penn Station (not to be confused with Newark Penn station)

Thanks!! I was gonna ask the same exact question!
Old Mar 23, 2011, 5:58 pm

Thanks for the Info iss

I am looking for a slightly different route JFK to EWR. Could it be done similarly?
Old Mar 23, 2011, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by iss

(Make sure you are on the platform with trains heading towards "manhattan and brooklyn" and not "queens and jamaica")

(cost is 1.75)

(cost 1.50)

The minimum cost of a Metrocard purchased at the Metrocard vending machines available at LGA is 4.50. Fortunately, since the PATH turnstiles accept Metrocard as a form of payment, your $4.50 Metrocard will cover the Q33 bus, the transfer to the E train, and the PATH fare from WTC, with 50 cents left over on the card.

If going via NJ Transit from NY Penn Station, it is not necessary to go to street level when connecting from the E train to NJ Transit. There is an exit near the south end of the E train platform at 34th Street station that offers direct access to Penn Station.

Last edited by guv1976; Mar 23, 2011 at 6:10 pm
Old Mar 23, 2011, 6:13 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by iss
(cost 1.50)
An alternative here is to walk west on Market Street to Broad St and take go 28. Works well if you have a small carry-on (just like the rest of the trip). The 62 also stops there, but it is more rare, only half of the trips visit the airport and and the 62 makes more stops than go 28.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by imm2b
Thanks for the Info iss

I am looking for a slightly different route JFK to EWR. Could it be done similarly?
The easiest way to do this is to take the SkyTrain to the subway & take the E train to Manhattan, get off at 34th St Penn Station. ($7.25, about an hour) and then from there, take a NJ Transit train to EWR (I think it's about $12, about 30 minutes, with EWR SkyTrain). KEEP YOUR NJ TRANSIT TICKET as you'll need it to get to the EWR SkyTrain, IIRC. NJ Transit trains leave about every 20-30 minutes from Penn Station, so be aware of that - also, get off at EWR Airport, not the Newark Penn Station stop.

Probably not the cheapest - but one of the fastest...
Old Mar 23, 2011, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Thanks for the Info iss

Yes. From JFK Terminal 4, Q10 or Q10 Limited bus to Liberty Avenue A train station. (Fare $2.25 with cash or Metrocard purchased from newsstands in Terminal 4, if they still carry them.)

"A" train to Chambers Street, Manhattan. (Free transfer to "A" train if you used a Metrocard on the bus; otherwise, an additional $2.50 for a single-ride subway ticket.)

PATH train from WTC station to Newark Penn Station; then #62 bus to EWR (as described in earlier post).

If you are arriving at a terminal at JFK other than Terminal 4, you can ride the AirTrain at no charge to get to Terminal 4, from which all of the local buses depart.

I would allow 2.5-3 hours for the JFK-EWR transfer if this method is used.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 6:56 pm
iss

Programs: Delta Skymiles, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by nasa808
Thanks!! I was gonna ask the same exact question!
you're welcome!

Thanks for the Info iss

Guv1976 is absolutely correct with his directions. I would allocate more time for this route just to be safe because it's a bit farther out.

Another alternative in case trains are re-routed due to construction would be to take the Q10 bus to the last stop which is 80th road in Kew Gardens. Walk around the corner to the subway. (again the E train) and get off at WTC for the PATH.

Originally Posted by guv1976

The minimum cost of a Metrocard purchased at the Metrocard vending machines available at LGA is 4.50. Fortunately, since the PATH turnstiles accept Metrocard as a form of payment, your $4.50 Metrocard will cover the Q33 bus, the transfer to the E train, and the PATH fare from WTC, with 50 cents left over on the card.

If going via NJ Transit from NY Penn Station, it is not necessary to go to street level when connecting from the E train to NJ Transit. There is an exit near the south end of the E train platform at 34th Street station that offers direct access to Penn Station.
thanks for the tip. I ended up going to street level lol

Originally Posted by guv1976

Yes. From JFK Terminal 4, Q10 or Q10 Limited bus to Liberty Avenue A train station. (Fare $2.25 with cash or Metrocard purchased from newsstands in Terminal 4, if they still carry them.)

"A" train to Chambers Street, Manhattan. (Free transfer to "A" train if you used a Metrocard on the bus; otherwise, an additional $2.50 for a single-ride subway ticket.)

PATH train from WTC station to Newark Penn Station; then #62 bus to EWR (as described in earlier post).

If you are arriving at a terminal at JFK other than Terminal 4, you can ride the AirTrain at no charge to get to Terminal 4, from which all of the local buses depart.

I would allow 2.5-3 hours for the JFK-EWR transfer if this method is used.
^
Old Mar 23, 2011, 7:14 pm

Programs: UAL Gold DL Silver Hilton GoldMarriott Gold
Thanks for the Info iss

This is a pretty handy guide for transferring from any of the metro airports,
http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-a...nnections.html

Actually from JFK you can take the Newark Express Bus for $15 and save yourself the trouble of all the transfers.

Sam
Old Mar 23, 2011, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA, AA, BA, DL
I would add 30mins to an hour to the suggested timelines above. It'll take you a while even to get situated at the major train stations and find the appropriate tracks/bus lane.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 7:37 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
The easiest from LGA to Newark is one of the shuttles that run between the two of them, get on the bus at LGA, get off at Newark. It costs $32 or so though, links on this page.

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/lga-a...nnections.html

The least expensive is any of the methods already mentioned but depending on time of the day it can take considerably longer.

This thread should probably be moved to the New York forum, you may get people with more experience there.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by samftla
Thanks for the Info iss

This is a pretty handy guide for transferring from any of the metro airports,
http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-a...nnections.html

Actually from JFK you can take the Newark Express Bus for $15 and save yourself the trouble of all the transfers.

Sam
Unfortunately, you can't. The "Newark Airport Express" listed on the PA website is a $15 bus from Manhattan to EWR.

There is a one-seat ride offered from JFK to EWR for $29. Details here:

http://olympic-limo.com/schedule-air...ewr%20jfk.html
Old Mar 24, 2011, 10:41 am
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Originally Posted by Palal
An alternative here is to walk west on Market Street to Broad St and take go 28. Works well if you have a small carry-on (just like the rest of the trip). The 62 also stops there, but it is more rare, only half of the trips visit the airport and and the 62 makes more stops than go 28.
That's a new one to me! Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.