Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage Run blog?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2011, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Mileage Run blog?

Hello FTers,

I've been a member since last year and enjoy/appreciate all the helpful posts everyone's been posting from mileage runs to credit card deals. I thought I would give back to the community by starting my own blog which would track mileage runs/reduced airfares for now. The difference between my blog and the mileage run forum is that I would instantly email everyone who signs up for my blog to receive the best current mileage run deals. I'm also going to start with my focus in the NYC region and expand depending on how successful the blog gets. PM me your email address if you'ld like to sign up and/or send me any comments.

Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong forum.

Thanks,
Rik
Old Mar 19, 2011, 2:13 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Hi Rik,

Nothing against your idea; but in what way is this different from an email notification or RSS Feed on this FT subforum? I get notified of each new MR instantly that way
Old Mar 19, 2011, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Hi Xandrios,

You're right. The purpose my blog serves can be compared to that of an RSS feed, however, I am not solely focusing on mileage runs. I am also trying to bring to light any discounted fares in and around the NYC area. A lot of people just want a reasonable airfare to start their next vacation, and I hope my blog helps them start their research.

Hope this helps!
Old Mar 28, 2011, 8:24 pm

Hi rikhey,

Before I start ripping on your idea I want to give you a little credit. Since you actually have the drive and determination to start your own blog and/or website while I have done .. well, nothing except for chat about it to my buddies at the bar.

*** Drank my hater-aid. Now it's time to go ... ***

With that said. I see a lot of questions/problems/improvement suggestions that could be made from the get go:
- Blogger. Really? Couldn't you at least do a wordpress site or something?
- Parlaying from the last statement .. How about a real site so you can have links to other sections. Providing more information.
- What's your primary purpose of this site - To give others deals? Explain what you're doing?
- How do you plan to compete against travelocity, expedia, priceline etc?
- On top of what Xandrios said .. any advantage to subscribing to your blog as opposed to the subscribing to the Mileage Run RSS feed? You already mentioned no, but why advertise/spam here? lol.

*** Hator-aid off ***

The reason I'm nit picking so much is because I've kind of been brewing an idea in my head for awhile. And at the end of the day I think it's what you are ultimately trying to provide to your visitors.

www - FourCentTravel - com

Don't click .. It's not registered or anything, but what it would do is scrape data from all the travel websites and show results for ANY flight that would be 4 CPM or less. Obviously there would be sorting per airport and what not. The idea is to only show flights that are 4CPM or less.

How is this different than any other travel site?
Other travel sites you have to select your airports, along with dates, time, blah blah blah, but if you are concerned about MR's all you really want to do is bust out the run! And it will provide you with any information available.

Assuming I had all the resources, skills, and time - I believe this would work.

Rebuttal? Thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.