New ITA features

Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:00 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by monnyc
I am not sure if it's my browser (Firefox), but something odd happened when I was using multi-city. After doing one search I went back to change the dates but the departure and destination changed automatically as I plugged in new dates. Or when I entered a new date, it automatically subtracted one day, every time I plugged in a new date. I even cleared all recent searches, but finally opened a new window and had to start over. It happened to me several times, not with just one particular search.
I have noticed something that could appear as what you saw, or it might be totally different.

If you have dates already entered and change one of them, the flights re-order themselves in the new chronological order. This can seem comical to confusing when you are modifying a multicity search. As far as I remember, this is not browser dependent.

For example, say you wanted STL-ORD-NRT-ORD-STL and did the following multicity search

STL-ORD 11/21
ORD-NRT 11/22
NRT-ORD 11/23
ORD-STL 11/24

You looked at the results and now want to repeat the search for a new set of dates, say 12/1, 12/2, 12/3, 12/4. So you click "Modify Search" change the first flight to 12/1. Before you can change the others, they all rearrange themselves as

ORD-NRT 11/22
NRT-ORD 11/23
ORD-STL 11/24
STL-ORD 12/1

which is not the trip you want. Make one more change and you get

NRT-ORD 11/23
ORD-STL 11/24
STL-ORD 12/1
ORD-NRT 12/2

which is something else again.

There are three ways of dealing with this:

1. Have faith and keep changing the dates and eventually they'll find the correct order.

2. Delete all dates first and then re-enter them top to bottom or bottom to top.

3. Make changes so time order is preserved. In this example, you can change the last one first -

DFW-ORD 11/21
ORD-NRT 11/22
NRT-ORD 11/23
ORD-STL 12/4

and keep working back.

Last edited by aktchi; Oct 26, 2010 at 11:22 pm
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by ITA Hacker
You were pretty close with your attempts, you just needed to use a semicolon ( instead of a comma (,) to separate the different commands.
I can see, or at least guess, why this could be confusing.

Most people view ; and , as similar things. One a little stronger than the other, but not as qualitatively different things.

However, you guys are trying to use , for OR and ; for AND.

Why not co-opt people's English common sense and use & for AND ?

But then I have to admit that a line full of &'s would be quite an eyesore.

Last edited by aktchi; Oct 26, 2010 at 11:26 pm
Old Oct 27, 2010, 12:42 am

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Very nice feature. I like it!
Old Oct 27, 2010, 2:33 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, One Pass, Executive Club
ITA slooow today.

A little off topic, but I did not want to start a new thread.

So a press release and a NYC Times article appeared today. Now ITA is very slow. And the my ususal "old" version link does not work.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Cattie T
A little off topic, but I did not want to start a new thread.

So a press release and a NYC Times article appeared today. Now ITA is very slow. And the my ususal "old" version link does not work.
Sadly it isn't working for me either, and the old version it is my tried and true way to build trips for segments.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 10:47 am

Oh no, ITA tell us matrix1 isn't gone for good. Please. . . .
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:07 am

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
It's still working for me. It still searches and finds flights - just none of the images come up.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 3:23 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
I am unable to get results from either Matrix1 (old) or Matrix (new). Miss it already as none are anywhere close to ITA.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 6:42 pm

I just tried a moderately complicated search on M2 and it worked just fine.

I have accepted for some time now that M1 is on its way out and have stopped using it, except when I need one precise feature that M1 has and M2 does not.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 1:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, PC PLT, SPG GLD
Thanks again, aktchi. In my case, I've been playing around with dates and the way it worked for me was to delete the dates and airports.

Originally Posted by aktchi
I have noticed something that could appear as what you saw, or it might be totally different.

If you have dates already entered and change one of them, the flights re-order themselves in the new chronological order. This can seem comical to confusing when you are modifying a multicity search. As far as I remember, this is not browser dependent.

For example, say you wanted STL-ORD-NRT-ORD-STL and did the following multicity search

STL-ORD 11/21
ORD-NRT 11/22
NRT-ORD 11/23
ORD-STL 11/24

You looked at the results and now want to repeat the search for a new set of dates, say 12/1, 12/2, 12/3, 12/4. So you click "Modify Search" change the first flight to 12/1. Before you can change the others, they all rearrange themselves as

ORD-NRT 11/22
NRT-ORD 11/23
ORD-STL 11/24
STL-ORD 12/1

which is not the trip you want. Make one more change and you get

NRT-ORD 11/23
ORD-STL 11/24
STL-ORD 12/1
ORD-NRT 12/2

which is something else again.

There are three ways of dealing with this:

1. Have faith and keep changing the dates and eventually they'll find the correct order.

2. Delete all dates first and then re-enter them top to bottom or bottom to top.

3. Make changes so time order is preserved. In this example, you can change the last one first -

DFW-ORD 11/21
ORD-NRT 11/22
NRT-ORD 11/23
ORD-STL 12/4

and keep working back.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by monnyc
Thanks again, aktchi. In my case, I've been playing around with dates and the way it worked for me was to delete the dates and airports.
You are most welcome. When you click "modify return" you get your original search query. At this point you can either change the airports (in any order), or delete all dates first and then change them. The only possibility of confusion is if one tries to change dates one by one.

Happy Halloween to all readers of this thread!
Old Oct 31, 2010, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by gomike
Oh no, ITA tell us matrix1 isn't gone for good. Please. . . .
+1 ITA, PLEASE keep matrix1 ... even as a hidden option! I love matrix1
Old Oct 31, 2010, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
+1 ITA, PLEASE keep matrix1 ... even as a hidden option! I love matrix1
As a long time fan of M1, I now find that M2 has most of the old functionality. In fact, the only feature I miss, and which I do go to M1, is "300 mile" search. Is there any other feature that you used in M1 and don't see in M2?
Old Oct 31, 2010, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by aktchi
As a long time fan of M1, I now find that M2 has most of the old functionality. In fact, the only feature I miss, and which I do go to M1, is "300 mile" search. Is there any other feature that you used in M1 and don't see in M2?
I like the simpler structure and I can use it @ work where we are still forced to use IE 6.0 ... matrix2 is acting up with IE6
Old Nov 2, 2010, 7:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MPVG
ITA Hacker, any schedule for when the recent spate of "routine maintenance" (mostly for matrix 1) will be over? Worked last night, doesn't this morning, didn't a couple days ago. Missing it...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.