Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

UA: SFO-FLL $220 (R/T, all in)

Old Nov 22, 2006, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC

Certainly not as incredible as the OAK-FLL R/T on AA, but it meets my personal needs and price sensitivity.

(Was led it by info on Travelocity Dream Map, but booked it on the new and improved [?] united.bomb; I do like the new interface for seat selection, during AND after booking)

Outbound via DEN, return via ORD: 5698 BIS/EQMs, 16398 RDMs (including 5k bonus for the MPDG26 promo).

Expect I could have done significantly better if I'd been willing to do more than one connection each way as well as the work to find longer routings.

I've done trips before primarily to get miles, but this is my first TRUE MR (i.e., my time at FLL is only 6 hours. What do YOU do between midnight and 6 AM near FLL???? )

LRA7N7 fare basis. Commence travel by midnight 12 Dec 06; max stay 30 days; no min stay. However, availability appears to be dwindling, and not available on many days.

Last edited by jmd001; Nov 22, 2006 at 4:43 pm
Old Nov 22, 2006, 4:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jmd001
What do YOU do between midnight and 6 AM near FLL?
Go out, take your shoes off, and walk on the beach. Too bad you'll miss sunrise, though...
Old Nov 22, 2006, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Go out, take your shoes off, and walk on the beach. Too bad you'll miss sunrise, though...
I almost took that flight but decided against it for the long layover after midnight in FLL; however, I did book JAX-SEA...Lots of miles, there, too. Good Luck!!

Last edited by night-ice; Nov 22, 2006 at 5:00 pm
Old Nov 22, 2006, 5:31 pm

Programs: Affilated with the orders of I need to rest, doctor's orders!
Certainly not as incredible as the OAK-FLL R/T on AA, but it meets my personal needs and price sensitivity.

(Was led it by info on Travelocity Dream Map, but booked it on the new and improved [?] united.bomb; I do like the new interface for seat selection, during AND after booking)

Outbound via DEN, return via ORD: 5698 BIS/EQMs, 16398 RDMs (including 5k bonus for the MPDG26 promo).

Expect I could have done significantly better if I'd been willing to do more than one connection each way as well as the work to find longer routings.

I've done trips before primarily to get miles, but this is my first TRUE MR (i.e., my time at FLL is only 6 hours. What do YOU do between midnight and 6 AM near FLL???? )

LRA7N7 fare basis. Commence travel by midnight 12 Dec 06; max stay 30 days; no min stay. However, availability appears to be dwindling, and not available on many days.
Sounds like something I could do, what day are you leaving?
Old Nov 22, 2006, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA 1P (residual DL, US, AS), SPG
I am surprised to see SFO-CLT-PHL-FLL-CLT-IAD-SFO for 7,100 BIS at $273. 1.9cpm for 1K, 1P. There is a 7 hour layover in FLL overnight.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SFOTRAVELER
I am surprised to see SFO-CLT-PHL-FLL-CLT-IAD-SFO for 7,100 BIS at $273. 1.9cpm for 1K, 1P. There is a 7 hour layover in FLL overnight.
SFOTRAVELER: Your routing is certainly better than my MR in terms of cpm, but a previously unstated requirement of mine was "all UA metal". The presence of CLT tells me US metal is involved.

Last edited by jmd001; Nov 22, 2006 at 11:07 pm Reason: Clarification of to whom I was writing
Old Nov 22, 2006, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hsxagent
Sounds like something I could do, what day are you leaving?
Leaving Saturday, 2 Dec from SFO.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 10:57 pm

Again, certainly better than my MR in terms of cpm, but a previously unstated requirement of mine was "all UA metal". The presence of CLT tells me US metal is involved.
If you're going after the 25k bonus miles, the entire r/t must be on UA/UA Express or TED for the flights to be counted; no codeshare partners..not sure if you can re-route your ticket or not?
Old Nov 22, 2006, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by night-ice
If you're going after the 25k bonus miles, the entire r/t must be on UA/UA Express or TED for the flights to be counted; no codeshare partners..not sure if you can re-route your ticket or not?
night-ice--

I modified my post that you quoted to (hopefully) clarify that my unstated requirement was for "all UA metal" (so that my MR would be a qualifying R/T for the 25k promo). SFOTRAVELER was just pointing out a routing that resulted in better BIS/EQMs for similar $$$ ... but UA metal miles was my objective.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 8:56 pm

Programs: nada these days
Wild. I was about to post the same question! I'm doing nearly the same run (but outbound via IAD instead of DEN) in a week. I figure I'll just go hit some bars...
Old Nov 23, 2006, 9:10 pm

Woo hoo! I hadn't noticed that you could change seats on a booked itinerary with the new site. Finally they added that, no more calls to CS after my corp travel agent books my flights. Thanks for pointing that out! ^
Old Nov 24, 2006, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM , HH-diamond, spg gold,hertz 5 star

Next trip, try to get a redeye, so that way you don't have to worry about the 6 hours of sleepless wonder. I only hit the redeyes out of sfo for MR's, just did one from sfo-iad-pit-ord-sfo and it was a redeye. If you can get the right times and segmenation you can add up the miles, but also be home at a reasonalble hour the next day. I always try to book flts that have good layovers with flts inbetween so that I can standby and get to next layover early and do the samething. That way I'm not stressed about making a tight connection. On the last run to Pit, I was due into sfo at 7:43 on the return, but I made the standbys in ord and was into sfo 4:30 instead of 7:43. At the worst, you will arrive home at your schd time. I try to print out the schd's for other ave's of return so I don't get caught somewhere overnite.
If you are elite and have upgrades use them so you can sleep in F or C depending on the plane.
good luck... ^ ^
Old Nov 24, 2006, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by row1A
If you are elite and have upgrades, use them so you can sleep in F or C depending on the plane.
good luck... ^ ^
Two of the four segments are TED ... but I do have Exit Row seats on both of them ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.