Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Good Deal" premium fares

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2007, 2:50 am

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
Originally Posted by Colin
The above poster annoys me to no end with her coyness. Put up or shut up.
That is unfair. yyzprincess has made it clear that there are options available and is leaving clues as to what they are however it is unfair to expect someone for whom these fares are very important in terms of business productivity and profitability to go giving away the info that may make these fares disappear.

Mileage running is about hard work as well as good deals so I say to you LOOK IT UP OR SHUT UP.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 8:23 am

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
As the poster of the original ex-CMB thread which led to thousands of premium MRs and to so many of these fares coming to an end, I ask everyone to lay off yyzprincess. She has contributed a lot more here than most.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For those not checking the UA forum that often: Thanksgiving business class special on UA. Sample NYC-AMS-NYC $ 1275 all-in, booking class Z.

More here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=738942
Old Sep 28, 2007, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by zvezda
As the poster of the original ex-CMB thread which led to thousands of premium MRs and to so many of these fares coming to an end, I ask everyone to lay off yyzprincess. She has contributed a lot more here than most.
You could've kept it to yourself and a small band of 'honest' insiders - that seems to be the suggestion.

I would suggest that comments on what we should/shouldn't do be moved to a separate thread in the discussion forum so we can stick to just posting fare information in this thread.
Old Sep 29, 2007, 4:04 am

Isn't FT about information sharing? Nonetheless, it's any FTer's choice to share information about these new and old fares that are great value for the money, but one should not accuse others who utilize the information on these boards for the consequence of fare increase, etc. Like mistake fares, these good deal premium fares will someday disappear (thanks to the global economics, supply and demand, etc.) and I think most of us here will just have to "deal" with it when certain fares become unavailable or are subject to significant increase (which they ought to be in the first place). I am not saying this because I felt outcasted from this circle of "trusted" FTers or wanted to criticize yyzprincess for her "coyness" but I wanted to just make my personal remarks having had observed many posts on this thread and my frustration with how people are trying to make such thing exclusive for a selected few.

Nonetheless, I agree that people should work for what they get and that for the spirit of FT community, I would think that the term "work" should be dedicated to building the trust with other FTers and knowledge about frequent traveler programs so that a now-a-novice FTer can help another new FTer down the road.

End of comment.

Last edited by brahms77; Sep 29, 2007 at 8:57 pm Reason: grammar
Old Sep 29, 2007, 8:32 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by brahms77
Isn't FT about information sharing? Nonetheless, it's any FTer's choice to share information about these new and old fares that great value for the money, but one should not accuse others who utilize the information on these boards for the consequence of fare increase, etc. Like mistake fares, these good deal premium fares will someday disappear (thanks to the global economics, supply and demand, etc.) and I think most of us here will just have to "deal" with it when certain fares become unavailable or are subject to significant increase (which they ought to be in the first place). I am not saying this because I want to criticize yyzprincess for her "coyness" but making my remarks having having observed many posts on this thread and my frustration with how people are trying to make such thing exclusive for selected few.

Nonetheless, I agree that people should work for what they get and that for the spirit of FT community, I would think that the term "work" should be dedicated to building the trust with other FTers and knowledge about frequent traveler programs so that someone a now-a-novice FTer can help another new FTer down the road.

End of comment.
I agree with you--many of these fares went away NOT because of FT, but because airlines realized they were wrongly-priced compared to their other premium products.
Did SOME fares disappear because of FTers rudeness/stupidity? Yes.
Do some FTers keep some fares quiet because of that? Yes, and I can see why.
That said, it's ironic that those same FTers are still benefitting from others' sharing to everyone on FT, while they will only share with their "trusted friends". Maybe they should vow to never purchase mistake fares that they and their "trusted friends" haven't found themselves??
Old Sep 30, 2007, 7:44 am

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by kyushuman
I agree with you--many of these fares went away NOT because of FT, but because airlines realized they were wrongly-priced compared to their other premium products.
Did SOME fares disappear because of FTers rudeness/stupidity? Yes.
Do some FTers keep some fares quiet because of that? Yes, and I can see why.
That said, it's ironic that those same FTers are still benefitting from others' sharing to everyone on FT, while they will only share with their "trusted friends". Maybe they should vow to never purchase mistake fares that they and their "trusted friends" haven't found themselves??
I standby my decision to share the info with select few FT.
Having posted my concerns about FT members calling airlines and flaging the Good Deal Fares many many times on this forum one can imaging my surprise when a veteran poster posted below post on another forum.And my response.

Now I have concerns about sharing my Good Deal fares with veteran posters this poster is friendly with.
Especially the 380 First Class Good Deal Fare.
I want the FT posters that have in past help me to have an opportunity to take advantage of this Good Deal Fare as well as my family and friends.

If you had ticketed before, in F, and confirmed on the 744 flight that became the 380 flight there would be no add/collect that SQ can ask for. You're confirmed and ticketed.
Originally Posted by yyzprincess
It is the above thinking that SQ would have to honor it,that concerns me giving out these good deals to people. They go to the airline and agrue about their rights on the fares they know are good deals. The result the Airlines give in but close the loophole.Wise thing, pay the surcharge and keep the loophole;thus your family and close friends can have an apportunity to take advantage of this deal.
Both my husband and I were happy to pay the surcharge. It is greed that is downfall of many a good thing.
The group of FT that I share info on Good Deal Premium fares, typicall do not care about mistake fares or are interested in taking advantage of them.As Mistake fares have no flexiblity.

Case in point:
I saw the UA mistake fare on saturday morning, I could have booked it.

When I crunched the numbers, (I do that before I even consider taking advantage of a mistake fare), getting from YYZ-LAX/SFO-YYZ it came to USD. 2K. EQM: 10 cents.

Add to that I had no desire to go to AKL, my business is in MEL & SYD. Which meant additional cost AKL-MEL-AKL. Thus EQM went to 12 cent .
For Business Travel:
I can get Good Deal Premium fares to Australia for 11cent a EQM. With flexibility to cancel, change. I have been able to get a Good Deal fare to Australia via SIN & SYD , with SIN-SYD sector in 380 First suites(with the "R" surcharge) for 15cent an EQM.

For Purely MR:
There are Good Deal fares that can be had for under 8 cent per EQM with flexibilty to change and cancel. And on UA metal if one's heart is set on trying UA J-Cabin.

The LAX/SFO -AKL for pure MR came in at .8 cent an EQM. With no flexibility of change.

I have yet to read about mistake fare that offers a better deal than Good Deal fares out there in terms of value & flexibility.

Last edited by yyzprincess; Sep 30, 2007 at 10:54 am
Old Sep 30, 2007, 9:48 am

Programs: BA, LH, BD
.As Mistake fares have no flexiblity.
Bit of a sweeping statement. Considering the AKL fares do.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 9:55 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
I want the FT posters that have in past help me to have an opportunity to take advantage of this Good Deal Fare as well as my family and friends.
yyzprincess, I'm definitely playing devil's advocate here--your explanation that FTers using valid, non-mistake premium fares sometimes scream and make life difficult for the issuing airline, encouraging them to pull the fare--does happen.

Still, it would seem to me that, since this is an open, public forum, you should also only USE fares that your family and friends, and those who have helped you before, find and tell you about secretly, right?
Old Sep 30, 2007, 9:55 am

Programs: BA, LH, BD
There is always going to be people who think fares should be posted on FT and others who think they should be kept quiet to ensure they live longer. I am of the opinion that people should go out and look for fares themselves.

If all of people who have contributed to this thread spent a day looking for a "good deal" they would find a good deal - it's not that hard once you get into it. But for the people who sit around waiting for it to be printed in B/W and not actively seek fares themselves then AFAIK then don't be suprised when people react like this.

Last edited by ajinlondon; Sep 30, 2007 at 10:05 am
Old Sep 30, 2007, 11:07 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
AHEM - FARE POST
At last one for the Europe-Aus and Europe-Asia crowd:

MEL/BNE/SYD from MAN, ABZ and non-London UK ports £650 (USD1300) each way all-in on Airfrance.com via CDG all in J (D fare unrestricted/changeable/refundable), midweek incl high-season, weekends £100 more, patchy availability for SYD but MEL is wide open

and equally good
SIN from MAN/ABZ/BRS and anywhere but London for £511 (USD1000) each way all-in, J fare unrestricted/changeable/refundable.
Any day through EOS

Derived from This thread from simonnewby

Says it wants a UK creditcard but will accept other cards if you reformat the postcode to suit UK conventions: your "UK" postcode should have 6 or 7 characters, just put in the address and leading zero(es) eg North Sydney 002059

Last edited by harryhv; Sep 30, 2007 at 11:24 am
Old Sep 30, 2007, 11:23 am

Duplicate

Last edited by yyzprincess; Sep 30, 2007 at 12:11 pm
Old Sep 30, 2007, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by ajinlondon
There is always going to be people who think fares should be posted on FT and others who think they should be kept quiet to ensure they live longer. I am of the opinion that people should go out and look for fares themselves.

If all of people who have contributed to this thread spent a day looking for a "good deal" they would find a good deal - it's not that hard once you get into it. But for the people who sit around waiting for it to be printed in B/W and not actively seek fares themselves then AFAIK then don't be suprised when people react like this.
I agree if one is willing to put in some work, very easy to come across a Good Deal Premium fares.
Thank you for making that point.^

Last edited by yyzprincess; Jan 26, 2008 at 6:45 am
Old Sep 30, 2007, 12:10 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by ajinlondon
Bit of a sweeping statement. Considering the AKL fares do.
AKL Fare Dos were result of mistake fares. No time for planning.
<snip>
The added bonus option to plan. There are FT DOs around the world throughout the year. There was a planned NOV. Kiwi Do.There is DO in SIN in JAN.
<snip>
Just wanted to point out what I think is a minor miscommunication....I think that ajinlondon was saying that the AKL fares do have flexibility in changing their dates (which is true to some extent), not that the AKL fares facilitate going to a flyertalk "Do." Not that this is the case for this instance, but it's always fun to have an English-language board with multi-lingual posters, and then to add the own peculiar lingo of that board into the mix. [[Oops, it looks like as I was posting this, yyzprincess was already editing that thread - sorry!]]

Also, in response to the rest of your post, yyzprincess: I agree with you that it's best to help out those who also help others. However, I think that there are a lot of valuable contributors to FT who don't necessarily find and post Good Deal threads - some people help with posting fare rules, others help with varied routings, and others know useful rules and customer service contacts at a given airline. I'm not sure if you were excluding those folks from your "helpful" list, but I think that their contributions are important to the overall success of FT and the MR forums.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 12:43 pm

I agree if one is willing to put in some work, very easy to come across a Good Deal Premium fares.
Thank you for making that point.^

Among my Techi Friends I am known as computer illiterate.
With hard work and long hours of reaerch I have come discovered Gems.
1.I spend hours on my computer searching for good deal fares. As I become more experienced easier it gets.
2.I also get the sense of regions where Good Deal fares are more likely to be available by the value of the local currency.
3.I also look for regions where local carrier receives local government aid to keep the fares low.90% of the times, the other international carriers will file a low Premium fare to match the local carrier.
4.Once I find one Good Deal Premium Routing, I plug in varieties of routings.
5.Once I have discovered the routing, I get the Fare Rules.Read the rules with a fine tooth comb.
6.Than I plug in different Carriers.
7.My next step is to see if I can buy up to First. Usually the Buy up for 8 hour flight 250.00 OW. 10 hours or more $500.00 OW.

I agree with you about posters here who post in the spirit of FT, they should have access to all the Good Deal Premium fare after all it is a public forum.
This sense of entittlement among some posters amazes me.

When a poster PM's me for info on a Good Deal Premium Fare, I do a search, see how much they have contribute towards this thread or related Good Deal threads.
Thanks for the clarification! I think the reason some people were so critical of you was that your posts were sometimes so vague that it seemed you were trying to tease/incite people, then refused to "hand over the goods" publicly. Now I get it!
I do appreciate the info you've shared here--and I agree with you that some folks here have ruined some of the fares--though for some of them, with more people using them, got the airlines to notice them more than FTers' behavior.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.