Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

Completed first half of SAN - CMB - SAN (x2) MR

Old Nov 18, 2005, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

I have completed my first half of the double CMB MR and can say this is very easy to do as far as getting to and from all the airports. It may not be for the weak at heart because it is a lot of flying and time in an airport.

For anyone who is worried about getting to CMB and not getting out, don't! This has to be the easiest turn around I have ever done because you are on the same plane that brought you out there. No problems at all.

I can say I will do this again next year if these rates still are valid. This way I can say for sure I will have two MR to SIN each year with my little trip to CMB.

If you want to see how it went for me, find my trip report at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=489821 and I will update this once I'm completed with the second half here in a couple weeks.

Take care and enjoy your MR if you have it scheduled. It really is easy.

On a side note, if you do a MR, don't forget to add in the extras (hotels, taxi, food, etc.) into the trip. When you go out of the US, you have to look at the exchange rates and how that will also effect your total cost. I can say that SIN is not that expensive to go to so it does make for a great MR. With the miles you get and the minor cost of completing it, can really give you a lot of miles.

I will sit down and calculate the approximate cost this MR will be to include Hotels and plane expenses. That way you can see how much it can really cost. I don't stay in very cheap hotels (there are some that can be found for around $50 per night but I like to include the points for the hotels I need stays for) but the cost is pretty much dependant on your own budget.

I did two MR from SAN - IAD - SAN this year when UA was having the specials to compete with Indy air. I was able to fly back and forth on two MR for under $250 and that was with no hotel stays. I was awarded almost 7,000 miles, not including my 1k bonus and 1,000 points for booking on the web for this amount and it can be done.

Last edited by NCRBILL; Nov 18, 2005 at 5:54 pm
Old Nov 18, 2005, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold
sounds quite insane...but i'd do it if it was cheap. how much did that cost you anyway?
Old Nov 18, 2005, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wiley
sounds quite insane...but i'd do it if it was cheap. how much did that cost you anyway?
Well the CMB - SAN - CMB is pricing out right now at around $1700 for "D" class and SAN - SIN - CMB is pricing out at around $900. So if you pay for both flights to and from, it would cost you around $2600 for airfare. If you shop around, I'm sure you can get it lower.

Many people do this with an award ticket getting them to and from the states with the "D" class in the middle.

But the idea of visiting SIN and ensuring I retain my 1k status again next year was well worth it for me. Now I'm looking into doing this again next year.

Stay tuned for the dates and times and maybe I'll be meeting someone again there.

Last edited by NCRBILL; Nov 18, 2005 at 5:55 pm
Old Nov 20, 2005, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Still waiting for the return NRT - SFO upgrade to clear but the SIN - NRT has cleared already.

I looked at the loads and they are very light so I feel it will clear in a couple of days.
Old Nov 20, 2005, 1:45 pm

Sq/ua

I'm having difficulty finding avalability for the United segments (SIN->NRT->SFO) did you use a travel agent, or book online?
Old Nov 29, 2005, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Potreroflyr
I'm having difficulty finding avalability for the United segments (SIN->NRT->SFO) did you use a travel agent, or book online?
I used a TA for this booking. If you would like to work with them (it is highly worth the time) because they will be able to get you the flights you want and the destinations.

PM me if you would like the information.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Work has Changed my Return

I will be going back to CMB next week instead of this week due to work. But stay tuned because now I will be able to do IFC both ways instead of "F" out and "C" return.

Now if I can only determine if it would be a good idea to go back on SQ in "C"?? I have to really look at the miles I need to determine if this will work out for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.