Community
Wiki Posts
Search

86910 status miles for US$1740+taxes

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2003, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by drbala:
How do I upgrade to First Class? Can I use United miles?</font>
On SQ? No. Anyway, C class on SQ is nicer than F class on most airlines and will include beds on the long haul segments.

Last edited by zvezda; Feb 15, 2006 at 6:13 am Reason: Deleted incorrect information.
Old Jun 1, 2003, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by drbala:
...I am picking up the tickets at the airport two hours before travel...</font>
Is the two hours minimium time for ticket pick up? You could only have about an hour if you do a turnaround on SQ flights.
Old Jun 1, 2003, 2:35 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by zvezda:
Or even SEA-YVR-PDX-SFO-LAX?</font>
Danger: Don't overdo it!

Please take a look at this story (in two parts)

(a - background) I don't assume that every carrier has the same rules, but some time ago a very competent ANA tix agent told me that they keep an eye on the cost of the additional segments, too. If the total cost of those becomes too high (higher as the price of the segments flown on ANA), they either charge a lot more or they charge the price of the other carrier(!).

(b - the sad story) I assume this is quite a dangerous playground. I'm saying this because I experienced the following sad story. A well known canadian carrier withdrew an extremely good business class fare from SE Asia to the west coast USA because a less competent travel agent in Bangkok just called them and asked them how to handle a few segments travelling along the west coast (unfortunately the travel agent didn't know much about booking complicated itins on Amadeus). The Canadian carrier realized that there are a lot of segments possible on United if you fly along the west coast and pulled the fare. Next day the fare nearly tripled

Conclusion:
As I said, a very unfortunate story. So be careful that you don't run into anything similar. Please don't overdo it and help to keep this fare available for others, too!
Old Jun 1, 2003, 4:19 am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by newbe:
Danger: Don't overdo it!

Conclusion:
As I said, a very unfortunate story. So be careful that you don't run into anything similar. Please don't overdo it and help to keep this fare available for others, too!

Newbe,

I fully support your comments. My gut sense, unfortunately, is that these will soon be priced thru the moon too. I have already seen substantial fare hikes within the past month.

Old Jun 1, 2003, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Deleted.

Last edited by zvezda; Feb 15, 2006 at 6:14 am Reason: No longer relevant
Old Jun 1, 2003, 5:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by justforfun:
I don't believe one has to worry about the fare issue when picking-up tickets at the airport. If I understand correctly, when you arrange to pick-up tickets at the airport, they are already paid for and ticketed. There is a ticket number in your PNR. All that happens at the airport is the PRINTING of them, which is different than ticketing them. If you buy one of these CMB tickets on singaporeair.com, your credit card will be charged that day, not when you pick-up the tickets at the airport months later. Your fare is locked-in because you have purchased them and not just reserved them. </font>
My question is, after I make the purchase via singaporeair.com, can I change the departure dates? I can't confirm my schedule now unfortunately. I reckon all it takes is to call SQ reservation and change the dates right?
Old Jun 1, 2003, 8:32 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP& 2Million miler, Skywards Gold, Delta Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold
The tickets I have bought and presumably you will be buying are unrestricted business class tickets The dates and flights can be changed any number of times by calling SQ and quoting your PNR
Old Jun 2, 2003, 12:16 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"> Let us know what there is to do in the airport. [/B]</font>
NOTHING AT ALL! The airport is a fort, guarded everywhere by the Air Force. After the Tamil attack where they blew up airplanes and shot up the terminal the government is bent on keeping that from ever happening again. It is also very small, with no lounge and very scarce shopping and eating. Passport control can also be slow. With very few agents for arriving passengers the lines can be huge and the immigration officials, who don't have computers or passoprt scanners, slowly handwrite any information they need. It is never my favorite part of my trips.

As for the SQ tickets, why can't you buy them here? I can ticket CMB-LAX-CMB on UA in Business for 1648 after tax without ever leaving town, why do you need to pick up tickets in Sri Lanka?
Old Jun 2, 2003, 12:58 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cmhua777:
NOTHING AT ALL! The airport is a fort, guarded everywhere by the Air Force. After the Tamil attack where they blew up airplanes and shot up the terminal the government is bent on keeping that from ever happening again. It is also very small, with no lounge and very scarce shopping and eating. Passport control can also be slow. With very few agents for arriving passengers the lines can be huge and the immigration officials, who don't have computers or passoprt scanners, slowly handwrite any information they need. It is never my favorite part of my trips. </font>
Thanks!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cmhua777:
As for the SQ tickets, why can't you buy them here? I can ticket CMB-LAX-CMB on UA in Business for 1648 after tax without ever leaving town, why do you need to pick up tickets in Sri Lanka?</font>
Really? Have you done so?
Old Jun 2, 2003, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...As for the SQ tickets, why can't you buy them here? I can ticket CMB-LAX-CMB on UA in Business for 1648 after tax without ever leaving town...</font>
Wouldn't this make the ticket SOTO and subject it to HIP checks?
Old Jun 2, 2003, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TerryK:
Wouldn't this make the ticket SOTO and subject it to HIP checks?</font>
Exactly.
Old Jun 2, 2003, 7:28 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP& 2Million miler, Skywards Gold, Delta Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold
Just logged into UAL.com and the fare is
Total Airfare Per Person (including taxes and charges): USD 4590.60
Where did you get the fare of $1648? Please clarify

"Originally posted by cmhua777:
As for the SQ tickets, why can't you buy them here? I can ticket CMB-LAX-CMB on UA in Business for 1648 after tax without ever leaving town, why do you need to pick up tickets in Sri Lanka?"

[This message has been edited by drbala (edited 06-02-2003).]
Old Jun 2, 2003, 7:35 am

When were you last in Colombo? I have been there recently and security though tight is no worse or better than many international airports. Immigration is as good or bad as an Indian air port. The Tamil attack you refer happened two years ago and now after the truce this beautiful island is at peace.Colombo may not be Singapore or Bangkok but definitely better than Bombay or Delhi.
NOTHING AT ALL! The airport is a fort, guarded everywhere by the Air Force. After the Tamil attack where they blew up airplanes and shot up the terminal the government is bent on keeping that from ever happening again. It is also very small, with no lounge and very scarce shopping and eating. Passport control can also be slow. With very few agents for arriving passengers the lines can be huge and the immigration officials, who don't have computers or passoprt scanners, slowly handwrite any information they need. It is never my favorite part of my trips.

</font>

[This message has been edited by drbala (edited 06-02-2003).]
Old Jun 2, 2003, 7:44 am

Latest on Colombo airport. Bit slow to load
http://www.airport.lk
Old Jun 2, 2003, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just went to travelocity and ran the fare from CMB to SFO on OZ (Asiana). This looks great, but how to get to CMB? The lowest coach fare from SFO to CMB is 1084 r/t with American style restrictions. Here is the fare info off travelocity for the CMB/SFO portion:

C Class - 1156.00
F Class - 1736.00

Rules :

FLT APPL

NO FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS APPLY.

STOPOVERS

UNLIMITED STOPOVERS PERMITTED. A STOPOVER OCCURS WHEN THE PASSENGER DOES NOT DEPART AN INTERMEDIATE POINT WITHIN 24 HOURS.

TICKET RESTRICTIONS

NO SALES RESTRICTION APPLY.

TRANSFERS

UNLIMITED TRANSFERS AS PERMITTED ON THE ROUTING/MPM.

COMBINATIONS

CONDITIONS APPLICABLE TO ROUND TRIP/CIRCLE TRIP/SINGLE OR DOUBLE OPEN JAW - -MAY BE COMBINED WITH ANY ROUND TRIP FARE GOVERNED BY THIS RULE IN THIS TARIFF VIA ANY CARRIER. -MOST RESTRICTIVE CONDITIONS APPLY. ADDITIONAL CONDITIONS APPLY ROUND TRIP - -PERMITTED. CIRCLE TRIP - -PERMITTED. OPEN JAW - -SINGLE OPEN JAW PERMITTED AT EITHER ORIGIN OR DESTINATION. DOUBLE OPEN JAW PERMITTED. END-ON-END - -PERMITTED. TRAVEL MUST BE VIA THE FARE COMBINATION POINT.

OPEN RTN

ALLOWED.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.