86910 status miles for US$1740+taxes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

86910 status miles for US$1740+taxes

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2003, 10:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kawoh:

Price: USD 1794.00 - Korean Air
(couldn't find any availability though in Sep, haven't tried the others, surprisingly OZ didn't come up).

[This message has been edited by kawoh (edited 05-25-2003).]
</font>
Actually, if you go to www.zuji.com.sg, the first one to come up is OZ. However, I am unable to get any dates to work with this fare.

Is anyone going for it, or know how to get the fare?

Old May 25, 2003, 6:34 pm

What are the dates of travel and how long is the fare available for purchase?
Old May 25, 2003, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Deleted.

Last edited by zvezda; Feb 15, 2006 at 6:04 am Reason: No longer correct; rules changed.
Old May 26, 2003, 1:03 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by justforfun:

Mackinnons Travels Ltd. (R) Mackinnons Bldg, 4 Leyden Bastian Rd 1 Telephone (94)(1) 448065/329887

American Express Travel Service 104 Dharmapala Mawatha Col.7 PO Box: 2092 Telephone (94)(1) 681220
</font>
I just tried to phone several times. I learned only the following:
1. The American Express Travel Service office listed above is not a travel agency and transfers callers who wish to buy tickets to Mackinnons Travels Ltd.
2. The phone system in Sri Lanka is much worse than in the former Soviet Union (where I live). I could not get a decent connection and always lost the connection I did get before anyone could help me. Hopefully, they have an email address.
This page includes a longer list of travel agencies in Sri Lanka, but I will continue to try Mackinnons first because of the perceived trustworthiness of the American Express connection.
Old May 26, 2003, 1:15 am
Original Poster

Mackinnons website has an online booking engine, though it doesn't work for me. I've filled in the contact request form.
Old May 26, 2003, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
zvezda i will try monday evening (tue CMB time) and report here. Let me know (email is in my profile) what dates you are able to get - I'm looking at November...

Thanks again, if this works, it will be a fantastic trip....
Old May 26, 2003, 7:26 am

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
May be we can organize a FT gathering.
Old May 26, 2003, 10:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
I think the MacKinnons site will be our answer. It seems rather professional and allows provisions for tickets to be mailed to other countries. The fact that we can't actually book on-line is probably just a glitch, which could be resolved by a human contact there. I'm very optimistic about this.
Old May 27, 2003, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA Life time Platinum, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
If you buy UA ticket is it possible to get the second ticket free.(though may not earn miles)
Old May 27, 2003, 1:12 pm

If anyone is successful in getting one of these fares, please be sure to post it here.
My parents are coming from those parts (BOM), and if I can get them into F, everyone will appreciate it.
Old May 27, 2003, 1:35 pm

Not much to report yet. Have been trying to book tickets on the Mackinnons website. Good news is that I am able to confirm a reservation(amadeus # and everything). Bad news is that no fare information is given. Have shot them a few emails and am awaiting a response.
Old May 27, 2003, 1:53 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by zvezda:

The SITO/SOTO HIP check is similar but instead of being calculated only for stopover points (plus origin and destination), it is calculated for all ticketed points. That means, in this case, if ticketed outside Sri Lanka, that the fare would be the highest of SIN-LAX, SIN-SFO, ICN-LAX, and ICN-SFO even if there are no stopovers. That's why this needs to be ticketed in Sri Lanka.

</font>
I don't really understand how this works. I have been trying to price out coach tickets from CMB-SFO. If traveling via BKK or SIN the fare prices correctly on KE,NW and UA. Between 700 and 800 depending on airline. This is the cmb-sfo fare and the bkk-sfo fare is a couple hundred higher. Why is it pricing the CMB-SFO fare when BKK-SFO is higher and I am transiting BKK.

I thought I understood this fare correctly until I read your post about the HIP check. I was getting much higher fares if I did cmb-BKK via India. I was also getting much higher fares on AA codeshares and JAL. I tried doing these over the atlantic and the fare would always be far higher than quoted even though expedia would tell me that it was applying the fare that I was trying to get. The fare rules would do something like tell me the NUC was 864.00, but then expedia would say the price is like $2200. Is this because of the HIP check. I don't understand why some fare are pricing out as I expect and others are much higher. Also is this HIP check native to Sri lanka. I have never noted such problem when buying ticketd for India to US.
Old May 27, 2003, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hindukid:
The fare rules would do something like tell me the NUC was 864.00, but then expedia would say the price is like $2200. Is this because of the HIP check?</font>
Yes, it seems so. The HIP check doesn't raise the NUC.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hindukid:
Also is this HIP check native to Sri lanka?</font>
No.
I have never noted such problem when buying ticketd for India to US.</font>
Perhaps you were ticketing those tickets in India?
Old May 28, 2003, 2:36 am

Programs: LX SEN, BA Gfl/GGL, IC Dia, HH Dia, Hyatt LT GLOB
I sent an email to MacKinnons on Monday morning but haven't heard from them so far. I will keep you informed.

Did anyone has more luck?
Old May 28, 2003, 8:22 am

Still no word form Mackinnons, but here's a thought. Out of the blue, this random agency in CMB has received dozens of requests from people living abroad. They may be a bit suspicious and are hesitant about responding to any of them. Maybe we shouldn't send any new inquiries. Once someone has a positive response from them, it should be posted here and then everyone can go ahead and make bookings. Until then, I think the more we bombard them, the fewer our chances are for flying around the world in first class on a poorman's budget. Just a thought. Please feel free to disagree.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.