FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Deals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/)
-   -   AA Mileage Run, please help (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals/276065-aa-mileage-run-please-help.html)

mav_rik Jul 11, 2003 10:19 pm

AA Mileage Run, please help

I need to complete 10000 miles in the next three months in the cheapest possible way, to reach Platinum on AAdvantage. Base airport could be SFO, OAK, SJC.

Many thanks.

tom911 Jul 12, 2003 1:29 am

You just missed $198RT fares to BWI and Florida from SJC, where AA was matching a WN sale. Two of those would bring in 10,000 base miles quite easily. Hang in there a couple weeks for the next WN sale.

tom911 Jul 12, 2003 1:36 am

SFO-PIT is out there as mentioned on another thread. I found an AA itinerary in August where you could fly and return on the same day for $212 with taxes included.

BTW....welcome to FlyerTalk http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by tom911 (edited 07-12-2003).]

gt0138d Jul 12, 2003 9:20 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mav_rik:
I need to complete 10000 miles in the next three months in the cheapest possible way, to reach Platinum on AAdvantage. Base airport could be SFO, OAK, SJC.

Many thanks.
</font>
Apologise if this question sounds stupid.

I received this mail from AA recently. I searched but couldnt find info whether this is flying miles or Q miles. If I fly 10K miles in discounted coach (which earns 0.5), will it be sufficient? I figured two coast-to-coast trips will suffice. Looking for the next AA $198 deal between BDL-SJC.

BTW, why are BDL-Bay Area cheapest fares so
high these days?

esfox Jul 12, 2003 10:23 am

I received this same offer, basically an unsolicted Platinum challenge. So note that 10,000 dicounted economy miles will NOT earn you the status; it'll only get you half way there.

(sigh) I know, I feel the same pain. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif

You can use OneWorld partners but I think you need to fly 4 AA segments.

Having said that, I'm looking for help: any ideas for fulfilling this requirement inexpensively from BOS between 7/15 and 10/15?

My personal requirements/preferences:

--My height makes cattle class uncomfortable for longer than transcons.

--$$ are an issue since I'm, um, "between opportunities" at the moment due to the economy

--I've banked miles to upgrade if necessary.

Thanks!

LLZ Jul 12, 2003 10:26 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gt0138d:
Apologise if this question sounds stupid.

I received this mail from AA recently. I searched but couldnt find info whether this is flying miles or Q miles. If I fly 10K miles in discounted coach (which earns 0.5), will it be sufficient? I figured two coast-to-coast trips will suffice. Looking for the next AA $198 deal between BDL-SJC.

high these days?
</font>
Not stupid...its gets confusing sometimes. If flying exclusively on discounted coach fares you will need to fly 20K miles within your 90-day period to complete the platinum challenge.

wbhurley Jul 12, 2003 8:55 pm

SFO-TPA is about $200 on AA (and others). You can route via mid-continent hubs and/or LA and/or Miami.

mav_rik Jul 13, 2003 9:07 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by wbhurley:
SFO-TPA is about $200 on AA (and others). You can route via mid-continent hubs and/or LA and/or Miami. </font>
cool... this seems to be a good deal. Any idea what the fare basis LEQNR means? Do i get full mileage points on this?

hey, thanks again!

bobbysfca Jul 13, 2003 3:16 pm

high these days?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not stupid...its gets confusing sometimes. If flying exclusively on discounted coach fares you will need to fly 20K miles within your 90-day period to complete the platinum challenge.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keep in mind that they give 500 Q's minimum per segment. So one RT in the range of $100 such as SJC - LAS - LAX - SAN and back will give 3000 Q's - more than any transcon flights.

wbhurley Jul 13, 2003 6:37 pm

Mav_rik-
Regarding SFO-TPA, the fare LEQNR will give you 100% AA miles. Looks like you can travel any day of the week. The fare info per Expedia is as follows:

To: Tampa, FL (TPA-Tampa Intl.)
Fare Basis Code: LEQNR

SFOTPA-AA 19AUG03 *RULE DISPLAY* TARIFF 0011 RULE 4035
-FARE BASIS USD TAX TOTAL PTC FT
LEQNR R 184.19 13.81 198.00 ADT EX
LEQNR/IN00 R 0.00 0.00 0.00 INF EX
LEQNR/INF50 R 92.09 6.91 99.00 INS EX
BOOKING CODES L
FIRST TRAVEL -19AUG03 LAST TRAVEL - 2SEP03
TRAVEL COMPLETE - 2SEP03
SEASONS - NO RESTRICTION
PENALTIES - CANCEL-NON REF
CHANGE-100.00 USD
FOR ALL CONDITIONS SEE TEXT RULE
DAY/TIME - NO RESTRICTION
ADV RES/TKT - TKTG WITHIN 1 DAY AFTER RESERVATIONS
WAITLISTING NOT PERMITTED ALL SEGMENTS
MUST BE CONFIRMED
MIN STAY - RETURN FIRST SUNDAY AFTER
DEPARTURE FROM ORIGIN
MAX STAY - 30 DAYS AFTER DEPARTURE FROM ORIGIN
BLACKOUTS - NO RESTRICTION
SURCHARGES - NONE
STOPOVERS - NOT PERMITTED
TRANSFERS - NO RESTRICTION
FLT APPLIC - NO RESTRICTION
CHILD DISC - INF UNDER 2 YRS FREE NO SEAT
1ST-2ND INS UNDER 2 YRS 50 PCT WITH SEAT
OTHER DISC - RULE 6020 DFR3 PASSENGER OCCUPYING TWO SEATS
APPLIES.
COMBINABLTY - SEE TEXT RULE
ELIGIBILITY - NO RESTRICTION
ACCOM PSGR - NO RESTRICTION
TVL RESTR - OUTBOUND MUST BEGIN ON/AFTER 19AUG03
RETURN BEGIN BY 02SEP03 MIDNIGHT
DEPARTURE OF EACH TRIP
SALES RESTR - TKT BY MAIL PTA MECH PTA-TKT
PERMITTED TKT BY SELF NOT PERMITTED
NEGOTIATED - NO RESTRICTION
TKT ENDORSE - ORIGINAL TKT - NONREF/CHG100PLUSFAREDIF/
ORIGINAL TKT - NOVALUE AFT FLT DATE
MUST APPEAR IN ENDORSEMENT BOX
APPLICATION - SEE TEXT RULE
INDUSTRY FARE TYPE - XPN - INSTANT PURCHASE NONREFUNDABLE
PFCS MAY VARY BY RTG
ROUTING 2 FROM SFO-
OR FROM SFO-AA-LAX-
TO AA-DFW/CHI/STL-AA-MIA-AA-TPA*

Hope this helps.

AAgoraku Jul 14, 2003 2:27 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bobbysfca:

high these days?

</font>
Let me try and clear up a few things here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif

Elite Status on AA is earned by accumulating the required number of qualifying miles (q-miles), qualifying points (q-points), or segments, whichever is achieved first.

Q-miles are "butt-in-the-seat flying miles." They don't include bonus miles, credit card miles, etc. If you fly discount coach, this is the most likely way to gain elite status on AA.

Q-points are accumulated at rates determined by the fare purchased. Thus,

In the past, these targeted elite qualifications from AA being discussed in this thread allows flyers to qualify by earning either 5,000 miles or 5,000 points for becoming Gold or 10,000 miles or 10,000 points for becoming Platinum within a 3 month period.

There is another "fast track to elite status challenge" that only allows points to qualify.

Best to find out for certain before you start booking those MRs in discount coach. If the offer allows only q-points not q-miles, you'll be disappointed with only half the points needed.

Call AAdvantage to ask for clarification if it is not spelled out in the offer: 800-848-4653.

[This message has been edited by AAgoraku (edited 07-15-2003).]

gt0138d Jul 15, 2003 6:59 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AAgoraku:
    Let me try and clear up a few things here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif

Best to find out for certain before you start booking those MRs in discount coach. If the offer allows only q-points not q-miles, you'll be disappointed with only half the points needed.

Call AAdvantage to ask for clarification if it is not spelled out in the offer: 800-848-4653.

[This message has been edited by AAgoraku (edited 07-14-2003).]
    </font>
    AAgoraku Thank you for the clarification - definitely helps.
    Armed with the additional info, I called up AA and talked to a CSR who said "if it say 10000 miles, it must be flying miles (q-miles in your explanation)". I tried to lead her to the other possibility that it could be q-points - either she wanted to get rid of me or was very sure of the answer (her voice didnt convince me).

Anyway - that was the reason I turned to the experience of the FTers in the first place.

esfox Jul 15, 2003 8:30 am

gt0138d, be careful.

If your offer truly says miles, it is better than mine which says the following:

"Earn 10,000 elite-qualifying AAdvantage POINTS &lt;caps mine&gt; between July 16, 2003, and October 15, 2003, and your AAdvantage Gold(R) membership will be upgraded to AAdvantage Platinum status through February 28, 2005."

If yours does only require flight miles--'tis better to give than receive, ya know.

Wanna swap? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif

Good luck!

LLZ Jul 15, 2003 3:42 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gt0138d:
    Armed with the additional info, I called up AA and talked to a CSR who said "if it say 10000 miles, it must be flying miles (q-miles in your explanation)". I tried to lead her to the other possibility that it could be q-points - either she wanted to get rid of me or was very sure of the answer (her voice didnt convince me).

Anyway - that was the reason I turned to the experience of the FTers in the first place.
    </font>
    Perhaps if you posted the exact text of what you received it could really be cleared up. I'd bet anything it's q-points as that is what the challenge is based on if you call up and ask for it.

They're just promoting it now whereas previously they didn't.

I wouldn't rely on the AAgent as you described her.

Always Travel Ready Jul 15, 2003 4:20 pm

</font>
    It appears that you were offered the same challenge that we were last December. I found it hard to believe that AA would upgrade us to platinum after flying a mere 10,000 miles, discounted included. I too must have made 10 calls making sure I had it right, while all the while thinking I'm sure this CSR must have it wrong. However, with one creative trip from NYC to LGW. (and the invaluable advice here at FT) on our return trip from London we hit the magic 10,000 miles and became platinum. Consider yourself lucky and enjoy!