Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does NYC include EWR?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2001, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Does NYC include EWR?

When checking fares using "NYC" does this include EWR or just JFK+LGA?

Thanks.

------------------
Who is John Galt?
------------------
Old Nov 7, 2001, 8:38 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM
It depends what engine you're using in terms of what options will be provided, but the simple answer is NO, NYC doesn't include EWR.

Some engines allow you to indicate a radius to add to your search (i.e. 25, 50, 150, etc. miles). If you want to include EWR, make it 25 miles.

Expedia Fare List, for example, requires separate checks of EWR and NYC.
Old Nov 7, 2001, 9:07 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

That's funny.. in my experience, NYC has included EWR. Maybe not on expedia but I'm pretty sure it works like that on Yahoo/Travelocity.

Old Nov 7, 2001, 9:25 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Is their a "simple" answer? No, I don't think so - but there should be, and it should be included, IMHO!
Old Nov 7, 2001, 10:08 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
I believe that officially, NYC is JFK and LGA, not EWR.

On Expedia, if you enter NYC, you will get results for LGA, JFK and EWR. I think they used to include HPN but I just tried it now, and HPN didn't show up. Also, HOU retrieves IAH, HOU and EFD, but IAH gets only IAH, and EFD only gets EFD. DFW or DAL retrieves both DFW and DAL.
Old Nov 7, 2001, 11:37 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Technically, no. Practially, yes. Most search engines will pull up EWR on an NYC search.

Many fares (but not all) include NYC/EWR/ISP and HPN as co-terminals, meaning that you can arrive at one and depart from another without creating an open jaw, and a fare that is valid from one is valid from all.
Old Nov 7, 2001, 11:40 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
No for a lot fares....EWR often have lower fares than NYC.
Old Nov 7, 2001, 12:33 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
for transatlantic tickets/travels/booking-/search-machines my experience is (for LH, SR, UA) that EWR is offered for the same prices as JFK.

While mileage credits to EWR (for tansatlantic flights) differ from miles to JFK for Mileage Plus and Qualiflyer, LH's miles&more even credits the same amount of miles, neglecting any mileage difference between EWR and JFK.
Old Nov 8, 2001, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Looks like the answer is "it depends".

My reason for asking is that I used to assume NYC included EWR since the fares are usually so similar. However, when searching Travelocity earlier this week for the EWR-LAS sale on NW, I saw the cheap fare when I specifically entered EWR but got a higher fare for NYC.

I appreciate the suggestion to also search on airports within x miles, that's a good solution.

------------------
Who is John Galt?
------------------

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.