Reload this Page >

UA, USA to China OJ from $303 ai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 5, 2017, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wolfpacktrojan
Transportation options from HGH to Hangzhou city center or PVG. Please add your name and your itinerary if you are interested in meeting other fellow FTers.
1) Taxi to Hangzhou city center, about 100 RMB ($15) for the entire party, not per person, walking from international terminal to domestic terminal (i.e., right turn after you get outside of the international terminal building), you will see taxi queue.
2) Shuttle bus, 20 RMB ($3), to Wulinmen CAAC Ticket Office or East Railway Station Line (two most popular options). The waiting hall for the shuttle bus is at Gate 10 (you can purchase ticket at Gate 14, too) Arrival Hall, on the first floor of the terminal building. Further details, see https://www.travelchinaguide.com/cit...ation.htm#hang
3) Shuttle from Hangzhou city center to PVG, 110 RMB, 3.5 hours: a) Wulinmen Ticket Office Central Hangzhou to PVG: (5:30, 6:10, 7:00, 8:00, 9:00, 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 13:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00, 17:00)
b) Hangzhou Dragon Sports Center to PVG, 110 RMB, (7:00, 8:30, 10:30, 12:30, 14:30, 16:00
). Further details, see https://traveladept.com/bus-pudong-hangzhou/
4) Train from Hangzhou East station to Shanghai Hongqiao; less than 100 RMB (~1 hr); then you can take Subway Line #2 to PVG, ~10 RMB and 2 hrs; or shuttle bus (Airport Line #1), about 1 hr, 30 RMB ($4.5), every 15 - 25 minutes. The Hangzhou East ticketing windows are located on 1st Floor, EAST Area of the station. Please allow 20-30 minutes for walking to 2nd floor departure, and security check. The frequency of Hangzhou-Hongqiao trains is as good as that of subways in many US cities.
5) Getting cash at HGH The international terminal at HGH (where you arrive) only has an exchange vendor with hefty fees that is open limited hours. However, the adjacent domestic terminal has a bank ATM. To get to the entrance of the domestic terminal, exit the international terminal and keep walking right, past the taxi stand. Then enter and take the escalator to the second floor. The bank ATM will be on your left, next to the escalator.
6 Getting TWOV without issues The advice is to print out your itinerary, hotel reservation, etc., to speed up the procedure at the entry point in China. At SFO, the check-in agents were clueless, so be prepared to get there very early and fight for your boarding passes. Please read the last few pages on this thread for first-hand experiences. Good luck. There is a thread on FT for further details. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...hread-231.html

ATM To get to the entrance of the domestic terminal, exit the international terminal and keep walking right, past the taxi stand. Then enter and take the escalator to the second floor. The bank ATM will be on your left, next to the escalator.

Travel information for Beijing and airport:
Beijing will have 2 hubs starting Sept 30,2019. PEK (Beijing Capital International Airport) is original main hub and will continue for Star Alliance flights and Cathay Pacific (including subsidiary Cathay Dragon Air). PKX (Beijing Daxing International Airport, will debut Sept 30, 2019)
planned for airlines of the SkyTeam alliance and One World Alliance (AA, BA, etc. except Cathay Pacific) will be relocated to the new airport. Most flyers taking advantage of this China OJ deal will continue fly through PEK. Some people who use positioning flights through Beijing using non-Star Alliance airlines need to make sure you are flying into PEK, or else need 2hr ground transportation from PKX to PEK.
PEK allows TWOV within 24hr to stay inside security zone airside. This is more convenient for immediate turn than Shanghai-PVG, which force all passengers to exit immigration and customs, then re-check in from land side, even if you have immediate turn within 24hr.

Who are going? When for outbound and inbound? Routing from major hubs:
July 2017

August 2017
Quinlanty: Aug 3, ORD-HKG-HGH; Aug 7, PVG-LAX-SFO-IAH-ORD-YYZ (see post #284 for a brief report on TWOV procedure at HGH).

September 2017
Kmxu: 1 Sept, IAD-HNL-GUM-, 3 Sept, GUM-PVG; 4 Sept, PVG-SFO-ORD
Quinlanty; Sep 1, IAD-HNL-GUM; Sept 3, GUM-PVG, Sep 4, PVG-SFO-ORD-YYZ
pushmyredbutton: Sept 1; SFO-HNL-GUM-HKG Sept 3rd: HKG-HGH, Sept 4th: PVG-SFO
X31: 8 Sept BTV-EWR-SFO-HKG-HGH; 11 Sept PVG-NRT; 12 Sept HND-SFO-IAH-EWR; 13 Sept EWR-YUL
Kmxu + 3: 9 Sept, IAD-SFO-HKG-HGH; 12 Sept, PVG-SFO-IAD
techdarko: 12 Sept, SFO-HKG; 14 Sept, HKG-HGH; 16 Sept, PVG-SFO
Quinlanty: Sep 14; SFO-HKG-HGH; Sep 18, PVG-SFO-YVR
bencanfly: Sep 14, SFO-HKG-HGH; Sep 18, PVG-SFO-IAD
tde211: Sept 17, SFO-HKG-HGH; Oct 18 - PVG-SFO-YVR
Fishleafer: Sep 20, SFO-HKG-HGH; Sep 26, PVG-SFO-YVR
X31: 21 Sept BTV-EWR-HNL-GUM-HKG; 23 Sept HKG-HGH; 25 Sept PVG-SFO-IAH-EWR; 26 Sept EWR-YUL
985X: Sept 22, LAX-SFO-HKG; Sept 23, HKG-HGH; Sept 25, PVG-LAX; Sept 26, LAX-YVR
flyingstudent: Sept 23: SFO-HGH
netoreisinger: 30 Sept, BOS-EWR-HKG-HGH; 4 Oct, PVG-SFO-ORD-YUL

October 2017
gba: Oct 22, SFO-HKG-HGH; Oct 29: PVG-NRT-SEA-YVR
beyounged: Oct 24, SAN-SFO-HKG, Oct 26, HKG-HGH, Nov 8, PVG-HND-YVR
as219: Oct 26, LGA-ORD-HKG (+1); Oct 30: HKG-SFO-EWR-YUL (+1)
X31: 26 Oct BTV-ORD-HKG; 28 Oct HKG-HGH; 30 Oct PVG-SFO; 31 Oct SFO-ORD-YUL
riphamilton +1: Oct 27, BOS-EWR-HNL-GUM-HKG (+1); Oct 30: HKG-GUM-NRT; Oct 31: NRT-ORD-YUL

November 2017
Quinlanty: Nov 3, BOS-EWR-HKG-HGH; Nov 6, HGH-SFO-IAH-ORD-YYZ
pushmyredbutton: Nov 19: BDL-ORD-HKG-HGH, Nov 27 HGH HKG-SFO-(YVR)
Davistev: Nov26, LAX-NRT-PVG

December 2017
Kmxu: Dec 1, IAH-HNL-GUM-HKG; Dec 3, HKG-HGH, Dec 4, PVG-SFO-IAD
X31: Dec 1, YUL-IAD-IAH; Dec 2, IAH-LAX-PVG; Dec 4, HGH-HKG-GUM-HNL; Dec 4, HNL-EWR-BTV.

January 2018
Kewldude21: Jan 14 IAH-EWR-HKG Jan 16 HKG-HGH Jan 22 PVG-SFO-IAH
mpiotrow: Jan 21, ORD-SFO-KIX; Jan 23, KIX-HGH; Jan 24, HGH-HKG-GUM-HNL-DEN-YYZ

February 2018

March 2018
Davistev: Mar03, PVG-SFO-YVR
flyer777lr: Mar 20, DEN-HNL-GUM; Mar 23, GUM-KIX (NH)-HGH; Mar 26, HGH-HKG-GUM-HNL; Mar 27, HNL-EWR-YYZ
Kewldude21: Mar 22 IAH-EWR-HKG Mar 24 HKG-HGH Mar 28 HGH-PEK-SFO-IAH
flyme2: Mar 28, BTV-ORD-HKG; Mar 29: HKG-HGH; Apr 17: HKG-EWR-YUL
JetSetDave: Mar 29, EUG-SFO-HKG-HGH; April 3, PVG-SFO-EUG
Coeur 05: March 31, bos-sfo-hkg-pvg; April 5, PVG-lax-ord-yow

April 2018
ttyl: Apr 01 BTV-IAD-EWR-HKG; Apr 02 HKG-HGH; Apr 04 PVG-SFO-IAD-LGA-YUL
Toronto1970: April 6, EWR-ORD-HKG-HGH; April 13, CTU-SFO-EWR-YYZ
Exiled in Express: April 18, ORD-HKG-HGH; April 30, WUH-NRT-SEA-YVR
X31: Apr. 28 : BTV-EWR-HKG-HGH; May 1st : PVG-KIX; May 15th : ITM-HND-YVR-YYJ

May 2018
Kewldude21: May 3 IAH-SFO-HKG May 13 PEK-SFO-IAH

October 2018
KMXU, Oct. 18, IAD-SFO-HKG-HGH, Oct. 25, PVG-SFO-IAD

November 2018
KMXU, Nov. 14, ORD-HKG-XIY, Nov. 19, PEK-ORD

September 2019
xinliz Sept 4 SFO-NRT-PVG Sept 25 PEK-EWR-YOW
Flying Machine Sept 9 LAX-SFO-HKG Sept 10 HKG-HGH Sept 16 PVG-SFO-IAD

October 2019
kmxu: Oct 26, IAH-HNL-GUM-HKG, Oct. 27, HKG-XIY, Oct 30, CTU-SFO-IAH
wolfpacktrojan: Oct. 26, EWR-SFO-PVG, Oct. 28, PVG-NRT-SFO-YVR

November 2019
kmxuand his colleague: Nov 9, IAD-PEK, Nov 12, PEK-NRT-HNL-SFO-YYZ
kmxu's colleague: Nov 13, YYZ-IAD-NRT-PEK, Nov. 16, PEK-ORD
kmxu: Nov. 20, IAD-NRT-PEK, Nov. 22, PEK-EWR-YYZ
kmxu: Nov. 23, YYZ-IAD-NRT-PEK, Nov. 26, PEK-ORD
aquanine Nov 28: LAX-SFO-KIX, Nov 30: KIX-PEK, Dec 2: PEK-SFO-YVR

December 2019
kmxu: Nov. 30, IAD-NRT-PEK, Dec. 2, PEK-ORD-YYZ
kmxu: Dec. 3, YYZ-IAD-NRT-PEK, Dec. 6, PEK-ORD
jskang Dec 5, EWR-PVG, Dec 8, PEK-NRT-IAD-YOW

January 2020

February 2020

March 2020

April 2020
Print Wikipost

UA, USA to China OJ from $303 ai

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA
https://goo.gl/flights/ET6D

This will arrive in HGH Sat night and leave PVG the next morning. Is the HKG-HGH connection too tight if SFO-HKG is delayed? I can have a cheap YVR-SFO on the Monday morning to finish this off. I don't have to drop segments with this and I'm fine with the extra YVR-SFO leg.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Impossible connection from HGH to PVG

Do not buy this ticket. You will not have enough time to get to PVG from HGH if the flights are on time. It is only possible if you hire a taxi to drive you from HGH to PVG (about 500 RMB or $75). The train does not run 24 h a day between these two cities. You need two hours from Shanghai Hongqiao train station to PVG. If you leave from HGH to Japan, it will help. Good luck.

Last edited by Kmxu; Sep 21, 2017 at 8:57 pm
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:34 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
I'm pretty sure you won't earn UA PQM from HKG-HGH since CX (Cathay Dragon) isn't a UA partner. So, you should get ~6927 PQM from SFO-HKG.

http://www.milecalc.com/mileage-calculator/?city1=SfO&city2=HKG&city3=&city4=&city5=
SQ credited 6915 for SFO-HKG lol
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:04 pm

Old vs new location of HKG

SQ uses the new location while UA still uses the location of the old airport. Or the other way. Here is the thread.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1847730-ua-still-uses-location-kai-tak-calculating-sfo-hkg-miles-3.html#post28819030

Last edited by Kmxu; Sep 22, 2017 at 7:20 am
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Do not buy this ticket. You will not have enough time to get to PVG from HGH if the flights are on time. It is only possible if you hire a taxi to drive you from HGH to PVG (about 500 RMB or $75). The train does not run 24 h a day between these two cities. You need two hours from Shanghai Hongqiao train station to PVG. If you leave from HGH to Japan, it will help. Good luck.
Google Flights didn't show this, but I see it on United.
Same outbound: Oct 27 SFO-(UA869)-HKG-(KA622)-HGH
Return Oct 30 1:45AM PVG-(NH968)-HND-(UA876)-SFO-YVR(throwaway)
$327.26
If I miss the tight connection to HGH, the one the next morning will get me there Oct 29 in the morning, giving me the whole day to get to PVG. Not a fan of the long layover in HND either but given my time constraints, it's probably my best bet.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 6:45 am

The extra day helps

Yes, the extra day between HGH and PVG helps. If you miss HKG-HGH,you can call UA to switch to HKG-PVG. See NPei's post earlier. Good luck.
Originally Posted by BigTallTree
Google Flights didn't show this, but I see it on United.
Same outbound: Oct 27 SFO-(UA869)-HKG-(KA622)-HGH
Return Oct 30 1:45AM PVG-(NH968)-HND-(UA876)-SFO-YVR(throwaway)
$327.26
If I miss the tight connection to HGH, the one the next morning will get me there Oct 29 in the morning, giving me the whole day to get to PVG. Not a fan of the long layover in HND either but given my time constraints, it's probably my best bet.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Yes, the extra day between HGH and PVG helps. If you miss HKG-HGH,you can call UA to switch to HKG-PVG. See NPei's post earlier. Good luck.
After looking carefully, United was showing the return flight with a date change when I sorted by price. It departs on Oct 31 instead of Oct 30. No dice
Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
UA869 is delayed by appx. 2.5h due to "maintenance issue", gonna miss KA622. UA agrees to give me a free hotel and food voucher in HKG, but did not allow me to reroute SFO-FRA-PVG on LH as "United's flight is still going". Asked for a reroute UA891 directly to shanghai, UA agreed but without hotels as "shanghai is your final destination". Then I asked whether I can get rebooked to HGH on NH or UA's PVG nonstop with an addition of Air China's PVG-PEK-HGH, but UA agent couldn't find any. That being said, I wanna a free hotel in shanghai, but UA didn't give me one cuz they couldn't flight any flights from PVG to HGH (sure they couldn't). When I said I can take bullet train at my own expense, UA said the system doesn't allow free hotel with a self-purchased train connection, has to be air connection. So right now I'm sitting in SFO and waiting for further announcements. It's sad that all non-UA star alliance Asian pm flights leave before UA869 so it's impossible for you to rebook on those flights.
FamTaYul likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by 985X
but UA didn't give me one cuz they couldn't flight any flights from PVG to HGH (sure they couldn't)
There are no such flights anymore, on any airline. United was not lying.

IMHO, while creative reroutes can occasionally be fun, I feel you're pushing this a bit far with just a 2.5 hour MX delay. Take the HKG hotel and have fun.
FamTaYul likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
I admit I was pushing a bit hard since I took the UA708, when I landed in SFO it was already 1230pm. Trying to get the 3pm LH455 to FRA then LH728 to PVG. I think UA agents didn't allow this crazy routing cuz it's not justifiable. UA869 is nice, empty row for myself. Looking forward to staying at HK for a night. Haven't been there for many years.

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
There are no such flights anymore, on any airline. United was not lying.

IMHO, while creative reroutes can occasionally be fun, I feel you're pushing this a bit far with just a 2.5 hour MX delay. Take the HKG hotel and have fun.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by 985X
UA869 is nice, empty row for myself. Looking forward to staying at HK for a night. Haven't been there for many years.
Naiice! Maybe I'll get lucky next month and end up with my own row. I just have a sixth sense telling me my trip on UAL869 will be delayed as well and as a result miss the HKG-HGH leg.

Did you call United and make your arrangements for the hotel voucher as soon as you realized you would be delayed? Or how did that process work? I just want to either have a plane or a hotel waiting for me when I land in HKG.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 12:01 am

See post #477 . You will get a hotel voucher on arrival at HKG.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 11:36 pm

How does the TWOV work if I'm staying with friends?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 6:43 am

I do not know the answer. Perhaps, you click on the link to the TWOV thread on wiki and post up an answer here to help others. Good luck.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 8:31 pm

Trip report:
(just landed LAX on UA199, TBIT unfortunately.. Pictures may become available when I can access my computer.)

TLDR: Don't check any bags in case you miss connection and bag is missing as well.

I left LA on Sept 22nd, came back on 25th. Super tired after doing MR for the first time. Took UA708 from LA to SFO, which was delayed. Arrived at SFO on 12:30pm, 25mins before UA869 boarding ends. Surprisingly, UA869 was also delayed and would depart at 2pm. I wanted to reroute since I would miss a connection in HKG(KA622). The queue at customer service(gate 92) was super long. While I was waiting, UA869 was rescheduled to depart at 330pm due to maintenance issues. I asked the agent if I could reroute to shanghai, she agreed but cannot provide me with a hotel in shanghai as it would be my final destination. They could only provide you with free hotels if you miss you connection halfway. Then I asked if I could reroute to shanghai on Lufthansa so that I "don't have to pay for the hotel and just sleep on the flight". She denied cuz "the flight to HKG is still going". She agreed to transfer me to UA891 flying direct to shanghai, or I keep with UA869 and UA will get me a hotel in HKG. So I went for the hotel. Later I rushed to the customer service in terminal 3, more agents and no queue at all. I asked the same question as before, and she said she could reissue me a ticket from HKG-HGH on Hong Kong airlines HX128(the last flight of that day flying to Hangzhou) if I could catch that one. UA869 was really nice, only 190 pax according to the captain. Get an empty row for myself at the back of aircraft, 77W atmosphere was nice, HKG based crews were very helpful. A combination of Asian hospitality and American free-style.

UA869 landed HKG at 9pm, which was a guarantee that I would miss HX128. When I disembarked, HKG agents were already at the gate and distributed us hotel, shuttle to the hotel, and meal vouchers. I checked the departure board, surprisingly KA622 was also delayed and would depart at 11:25pm. I saw that but I didn't ask the agents if I could still take that flight. I wanted a stopover in HKG so bad cuz I haven't been there for a couple of years. Thanks to the empty UA869, I had a good rest on flight. I couldn't get my checked bag at HKG cuz my final destination was not HKG, they did it for security reasons. When I got to the hotel (Panda Hotel aka. "香港悦来酒店"), I called UA agent via Skype to see if they could reroute my HKG-HGH ticket to HKG-PVG. I asked if I could choose star alliance members and UA agent agreed. I first asked for BR/TG/CA and the agent couldn't get any of those confirmed. Then I called another agent who helped me the get my tickets reissued as BR828-BR712, HKG-TPE-PVG on Sept 24th. She also asked if I wanna change my return ticket as I would depart on 25th, which was pretty tight, so I asked for leaving on 26th and got my ticket reissued. After that, I took a quick shower at the hotel and hopped on and off those iconic double-deckers for the entire night. I didn't even get a sleep at Panda hotel cuz I just wanna experience those night buses. Since my flight was early in the morning (730am) and hotel shuttle was not running at that time, hotel booked us a taxi at United's expense. The ride to the airport was roughly 30-35mins.

When I checked in at BR's counter, the agents were surprised that I got such a weird routeing to PVG. I told them I had a checked bag, but they couldn't find it. After waiting for 45mins, they still couldn't get my luggage. Then they asked if I wanna go without checked bag. I agreed as boarding would start in a few minutes. They had me signed a document like "responsibility wavier for lost baggage". Then I boarded the plane. Almost missed it. BR's service was really nice, they even had a complimentary meal service on a 80-minute flight! Shame on North American carriers! When I got to PVG, I went to the baggage counter and filled a form for lost baggage. Neither UA nor BR could locate my baggage. Then I asked my friend who had worked for MU for help cuz he had a colleague working for KA that might assist me with the lost baggage. My friend's colleague forwarded my case to KA agents in HKG airport. After a few hours, they found my luggage, which was stranded at HKG. According to my friend, the KA\UA\BR agents in HKG negotiated with each other and decided to transport my baggage back to Shanghai on China Eastern MU506, which was the last HKG-PVG flight on that date. So here is the tricky part: Initially I was flying an oneworld member, then I got my tickets reissued to a star alliance member, and got my checked bag transported by a skyteam member!

I stayed at a HIX without my baggage. And the rain in shanghai was crazy. I met with my friend, thanked him for finding my bags, and we had dinner together in Jing'an Temple area. When I was back to hotel, I found MU506 was severely delayed. I wonder if that flight would get cancelled. MU506 left HKG after a 4-hr delay. Then I called UA agent again to change my return ticket back to Sept 25th as my baggage would probably arrive that morning and there's nothing to do in shanghai cuz it would be raining for an entire week. The charger of the computer was in my lost baggage, couldn't get one in shanghai. Thus I couldn't use Skype as my computer was out of battery. I used hotel's telephone instead. When I checked out, they charged me 350CNY (55USD) for using the telephone! Their international call rate was 10CNY/min(1.5-1.6USD/min)! Insane.

When I woke up on sept25th, I found out MU506 from HKG to PVG was diverted to HGH(Hangzhou) due to weather issues! I immediately called my friend to locate my baggage, and he said he had arranged staff at HGH to put my luggage on Shanghai Airlines FM934X(Hangzhou-Shanghai). They called this "a standby flight". FM934X was scheduled to depart on Sept 25th 3:05pm, and my flight to LA would depart on 810pm, pretty tight. I got to the airport at 1pm, and waited for the entire afternoon. I called the MU baggage department and they arranged someone to take me into the baggage claim area around 5pm. Then I waited until 530pm, nobody came. Then I saw their supervisor and complained to him in shanghai dialect. That worked. He took me into the int'l baggage claim area and tracked my baggage. The funniest thing was that even himself had no idea where was my baggage as the "standby flight" baggage info cannot be tracked. Had my friend not told me about the details of my baggage carrier, I would not be able to find it back. The int'l baggage claim supervisor directed me to the domestic claim area, and FM934X was also delayed. It landed at 550pm, and the gate was a remote one. I kept my fingers crossed as my flight back to LA would leave at 810pm (check-in counter closes at 710pm). Finally my bag came around 630pm, just 40mins prior to the check-in counter closes. MU's domestic baggage claim supervisor was nice, she took my claim report and promised me that she would forward it to BR agents. She was like "go right now, or you'll miss your flight!" Then I rushed to Terminal 2.

UA199 was fully booked in economy, since I had to wait for my delayed luggage, I didn't arrive early enough to get an E+ seat. All the E+ seats were taken and the system arranged me a seat on row 30, which was horrible. Last row of 789, narrow legroom comparing with E+ seats or an empty row. So many tourists. Babies kept crying, which was hard for me to fall asleep. Not a pleasant experience. Overall, this has been the most challenging journey. I didn't expect I would encounter so many problems on the way. Sore throat hurts. And it has lasted for 8 days since I flew with UA's PVG-GUM-HNL(island hopper)-SFO-EWR-SNA. That journey from PVG to SNA took me 55 hours. This time the LAX-SFO-HKG-TPE-PVG took me 35 hours(yet 65 hours for my checked bag)! I feel lucky that I'm still young and could push myself to the extreme to get more miles, explore some innovative routeings, and experience more airlines. Thanks to UA's ticketing policy and my friend's assistance, my first MR was challenging though amazing. Took me 8 days from blue to silver to gold.

Bottom Line: Don't have any checked bags unless you wanna make a short turnaround to a longer vacation. Tight connection and changing the itinerary at the last minute would result in the loss or delay of your baggage. Staff at PVG may speak a little English, if you don't speak local dialect or Chinese, they may treat you differently cuz some of them have awful oral skills (e.g. they'll forward you to another department when they can actually assist you directly). UA's ticketing policy is very flexible, you can get what you are looking for as long as your request is reasonable and tell them the difficulties you have encountered. Don't expect to get a free upgrade to biz when you have some status from other airlines and are holding a Y-class ticket. Chinese saying "the more you expect, the more you get disappointed." If they give you an upgrade, that's a courtesy. If you're still sitting in the last row of economy, that's the rules. Wish everyone can have a smoother trip than I do. Life well travelled!
rmannion and FamTaYul like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.