Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

UA - EWR-BKK $615 3.1 cpm

Old Jun 4, 2017, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United

Just booked our November mileage run to BKK. Many dates in late Oct-Nov available for 615.
Any suggestions on hotels or activities? Hope we have some company.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold
is it basic economy? lol
Old Jun 5, 2017, 12:35 am
formerly skyccord

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Hertz President Circle, Marriott/SPG Premier Plat Elite, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by prister
is it basic economy? lol
​​​​​​
By God I hope not. But I thought United wasn't doing basic economy on international flights?

I'm actually about to jump on my last leg of a EWR-NRT-KUL. Economy Plus and a trtl for the win.

​​​
Old Jun 5, 2017, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: United
It's economy plus but either way it'll be a long trip. But that's the goal of a mileage run.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:40 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by skyccord
​​​​​​
By God I hope not. But I thought United wasn't doing basic economy on international flights?

I'm actually about to jump on my last leg of a EWR-NRT-KUL. Economy Plus and a trtl for the win.

​​​
Good news. The reason I was asking basic economy is that if your trip includes a domestic section, basic economy might pop up. (Delta would show "this is a basic economy fare" when I was trying the LGA-SIN MR the other day)

As for United, there's another trick: if there's no economy seat at booking and you have to purchase econ plus at that moment. If that's the case, then the cpm might jump up to 5 or 6 after that, which isn't a good deal anymore.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 9:09 am
formerly skyccord

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Hertz President Circle, Marriott/SPG Premier Plat Elite, Avis Preferred
Good news. The reason I was asking basic economy is that if your trip includes a domestic section, basic economy might pop up. (Delta would show "this is a basic economy fare" when I was trying the LGA-SIN MR the other day)

As for United, there's another trick: if there's no economy seat at booking and you have to purchase econ plus at that moment. If that's the case, then the cpm might jump up to 5 or 6 after that, which isn't a good deal anymore.
Interesting I've never dealt with this. Usually they just overbook Economy and don't allow you to pick seat selection. That I have dealt with.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
I'm almost certain you can just not select a seat, and be assigned one at check-in. There's no requirement to purchase E+ on UA.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, IHG Platinium Elite
I'm looking at 8/25-8/29 EWR-BKK for with a leg on a CX 359 for $670 inc taxes. Not bad!
Old Jun 9, 2017, 11:04 am
formerly skyccord

UA EWR-NRT-BKK - 3.3cpm 19,242 miles

Tons of dates in September UA ticket. First leg UA metal, second leg ANA.

https://www.google.com/flights/?f=0#search;f=EWR;t=BKK,DMK;d=2017-09-07;r=2017-09-10;sel=EWRNRT0UA79-NRTBKK1NH805,BKKNRT0NH806-NRTEWR0UA78;a=STAR_ALLIANCE;s=1
Old Jun 9, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question stopover

Can the fare be booked w/o an NRT stopover?
Old Jun 10, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: A3 *Gold, AA Plat, AB Plat, Hilton Dia
I'm new to United and I am thinking about doing a status challenge.

Afaik for a status challenge all the miles flown would have to be on UA metal, correct? For the miles flown on UA metal I would get 100% status miles if I am not mistaken.

I saw that these flights would mostly book into K (in August), sometimes there are legs on CX, ANA or Hongkong Airlines.

How many award miles do you get on
a) UA metal?
b) the other airlines?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 12:26 am

Programs: A3 *Gold, AA Plat, AB Plat, Hilton Dia
I found a slightly more expensive trip to Manila in August.
The legs between NRT and MNL are on ANA, the rest on UA.

https://www.google.de/flights/#searc..._ALLIANCE;eo=e

Any suggestions on how this itinerary could be enhanced for the purpose of a mileage runner? It already has two stops each way (which I don't mind here).
Old Jun 14, 2017, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by johnnywho
I found a slightly more expensive trip to Manila in August.
The legs between NRT and MNL are on ANA, the rest on UA.

https://www.google.de/flights/#searc..._ALLIANCE;eo=e

Any suggestions on how this itinerary could be enhanced for the purpose of a mileage runner? It already has two stops each way (which I don't mind here).
i didn't compare the miles but i think usually routing through HNL yields more miles for you but it means longer flights. However, the only thing with this itinerary is that there is only a short layover at houston on the outbound (might be risky). The bright side of it is that you can use Regional upgrade for most of the flight. except for HNL-GUM/GUM-HNL that requires global premier upgrade. Plus, it is cheaper too. Worst case scenario if you miss the connecting flight for IAH-HNL-GUM-MNL, they would be able to reroute you through NRT from IAH. You can always call united after the trip and ask for the mileage difference and say that they caused the misconnection and often time it wouldn't be a problem to get the credit for the original flight.

https://goo.gl/flights/VHFp
Old Jun 14, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by qplazm1982
i didn't compare the miles...
Here is the mileage comparison:

Through NRT (https://goo.gl/flights/qygf): 18292, $690 = 3.77cpm
Through HNL (https://goo.gl/flights/VHFp): 21404 miles, $664 = 3.1cpm ^
Old Jun 16, 2017, 1:58 pm

Any specific ?'s about BKK? That's one of my two base cities.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.