Wiki Posts
Search

AA: BOS-HKG, 19775 miles, $672, 3.4 cpm, May

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2017, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG
AA: BOS-HKG, 19775 miles, $672, 3.4 cpm, May

For anyone who has availability the next two weeks (early to mid May), I found BOS-LAX-HKG; HKG-NRT-LAX-BOS on AA/CX for $672 (3.4 cpm).

https://goo.gl/flights/9K8C
Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
This is bookable as an AAVacation too for only a couple bucks more ($690 for the dates in your example). Routing is slightly shorter BOS-LAX-HKG-NRT-BOS but EQD/RDM earnings would be a lot higher. If my math is right it's 18414 EQM, 1,841 EQD, 9207 RDM; compare to 19775 EQM, 563 EQD, 6193 RDM buying the ticket by itself.
Old May 1, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HLCinCOU
This is bookable as an AAVacation too for only a couple bucks more ($690 for the dates in your example). Routing is slightly shorter BOS-LAX-HKG-NRT-BOS but EQD/RDM earnings would be a lot higher. If my math is right it's 18414 EQM, 1,841 EQD, 9207 RDM; compare to 19775 EQM, 563 EQD, 6193 RDM buying the ticket by itself.
Just wondering, even though based on the website:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...cial-fares.jsp

Vacation packages tickets can earn EQDs by calculating booking classes' percentages multiplies the miles flown, however, the **** note below says:

****EQDs apply for travel starting January 1, 2017 and are calculated based on what you pay for your ticket (base fare plus carrier-imposed fees, excluding any government-imposed taxes and fees).

So, which rule should it apllies?
Old May 1, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by prister
Just wondering, even though based on the website:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...cial-fares.jsp

Vacation packages tickets can earn EQDs by calculating booking classes' percentages multiplies the miles flown, however, the **** note below says:

****EQDs apply for travel starting January 1, 2017 and are calculated based on what you pay for your ticket (base fare plus carrier-imposed fees, excluding any government-imposed taxes and fees).

So, which rule should it apllies?
I've got an experiment running right now. Booked a trip that leaves tomorrow, AA metal, through AA vacations. We'll see what EQDs post. FWIW, AA displays the ticket cost as 0, so it doesnt display what AA vacations paid for the seat. Whether it knows and doesnt show...
Old May 1, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ludocdoc
I've got an experiment running right now. Booked a trip that leaves tomorrow, AA metal, through AA vacations. We'll see what EQDs post. FWIW, AA displays the ticket cost as 0, so it doesnt display what AA vacations paid for the seat. Whether it knows and doesnt show...
thanks for your reply! Have a safe flight, enjoy the trip, and let us know what's the result of your EQD!
Old May 1, 2017, 8:12 pm
vgc

I love Hong Kong! I might have to snag me one of these!
Old May 5, 2017, 6:14 pm

The policy is clear. AAVacations earn according to the special fares table. Says so right above the table. There have been reports of them posting wrong (i.e. by fare instead of distance) occasionally, but calling the AAdvantage desk will get it fixed.
Old May 6, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: United 1k, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Gone?
Old May 8, 2017, 2:51 pm

Yeah, the <$700 ones appear to be gone. AAVacations is now actually cheaper than the ticket for some dates though...5/22-5/29 at $897, whereas the ticket alone is $924. Both of those seem like pretty normal HKG fares though...far cry from what we were seeing a couple weeks ago for this week.
Old May 12, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by HLCinCOU
The policy is clear. AAVacations earn according to the special fares table. Says so right above the table. There have been reports of them posting wrong (i.e. by fare instead of distance) occasionally, but calling the AAdvantage desk will get it fixed.
Yup. As expected, I got miles based EQDs from my trip booked on AA metal through AA vacations.
Old May 12, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP x 1.5, DL GM, JB, HH GLD
Yup. As expected, I got miles based EQDs from my trip booked on AA metal through AA vacations.
Have you called to try to question the calculation?
Old May 12, 2017, 8:31 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by Flyerhandle
Have you called to try to question the calculation?
Actually, that's what you want is distance based, rather than dollar based EQD's.
Old May 13, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: AA EXP x 1.5, DL GM, JB, HH GLD
Originally Posted by rbAA
Actually, that's what you want is distance based, rather than dollar based EQD's.
Ooops. I misread the post. My bad. So, are the special fares only on AA vacations or do they apply to non-AA metal flights booked as marketed by a OW partner like JL?
Old May 14, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Flyerhandle
Ooops. I misread the post. My bad. So, are the special fares only on AA vacations or do they apply to non-AA metal flights booked as marketed by a OW partner like JL?
The Specials Fares page pointed to above will tell you the circumstances under which they are applied; it's not just AAVacations.

Segments marketed by a partner always earn per the page for that partner.

Last edited by SpammersAreScum; May 15, 2017 at 10:34 am Reason: One sentence no verb
Old May 14, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriot Plat, SPG Plat, AS MVP 75k Gold, Wyndham Diamon, Caesar's Diamond,
I should book one of these for myself. Any know what the most exotic/longest AAvacation destinations are?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.