Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

DL: SJC-PEK from $503 RT (3d min stay) 3.0-3.7cpm

Old Apr 22, 2017, 1:27 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester

late October & November, mostly Sun/Fri departures

Sample for $507/13,724 MQMs: https://goo.gl/flights/ivu6

10/27 SJC-LAX-SEA-PEK (arrive 10/28)
10/30 PEK-SEA-LAX-SJC

EDIT: check MQMs carefully, some LAX-SEA-PEK and PEK-SEA-LAX are "direct" flights

Or to shave a few hours off, drop the connection between SJC<->SEA for $503/12,208 MQMs @4.1cpm

With looong layovers, ITA search finds SJC-ATL-DTW-PEK; PEK-DTW-ATL-SJC for $550/560, 18,686 MQMs @3.0 cpm departing Saturday 11/4 or 11/11 arriving back in SJC the following Thursday

V fare: VLR03PMJ

Code:
PERMITTED MON/WED/FRI/SUN ON EACH TRANSPACIFIC SECTOR
PERMITTED 28AUG 17 THROUGH 04OCT 17 OR 23OCT 17 THROUGH
  30NOV 17 ON THE OUTBOUND TRANSPACIFIC SECTOR.
TRAVEL FROM LAST INTERNATIONAL STOPOVER MUST COMMENCE NO
  EARLIER THAN 3 DAYS AFTER DEPARTURE OF THE FIRST
  INTERNATIONAL SECTOR.

Last edited by Zorak; Apr 22, 2017 at 1:36 am
Old Apr 22, 2017, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Great find"

Please note that a China visa is required
Old Apr 23, 2017, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Playing around with this a bit more, there are some SJC-LAX-PVG-PEK-PVG-LAX-SJC for $524/15,334 MQMs @3.4cpm with PVG-PEK-PVG on MU with DL codes.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Wish I had more PTO. I'd jump on this one.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by tentseller
Great find"

Please note that a China visa is required
Tentseller - I was all excited until I remembered this!

A bit of playing to match my east coast departure and I found a variation which should avoid the visa:

SRQ-ATL-SJC-SEA-PEK
~36hours
PEK-PVG-NRT-ATL-SRQ

Comes in at $743 for 17870MQM (3135RDM) = 4.2CPM (MQM) and no visa, if I am not mistaken.

I am in the midst of a DL gold status challenge and wish I could find something like this for now (or the next 90 days!).

*UPDATE*: Did find May 6-9 for a with visa trip @$749: TPA-LAX-SEA-PEK (~42hours) PEK-DTW-TPA.

Last edited by Lennys26v2; Apr 25, 2017 at 6:56 am
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lennys26v2
Tentseller - I was all excited until I remembered this!

A bit of playing to match my east coast departure and I found a variation which should avoid the visa:

SRQ-ATL-SJC-SEA-PEK
~36hours
PEK-PVG-NRT-ATL-SRQ
WON'T WORK

Comes in at $743 for 17870MQM (3135RDM) = 4.2CPM (MQM) and no visa, if I am not mistaken.

I am in the midst of a DL gold status challenge and wish I could find something like this for now (or the next 90 days!).

*UPDATE*: Did find May 6-9 for a with visa trip @$749: TPA-LAX-SEA-PEK (~42hours) PEK-DTW-TPA.
You fly into PEK and leave PVG more than 24 hours later. It will not qualify for TWOV.

When you fly in one city and then out another city you only qualify for a 24hrs TWOV

There is a very detail thread on the China forum re TWOV
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...er-thread.html
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:13 am

You fly into PEK and leave PVG more than 24 hours later. It will not qualify for TWOV.
Correct you are. Thanks for that clarity (and link). Back to the drawing board.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TSA PreCheck
Originally Posted by Zorak
Playing around with this a bit more, there are some SJC-LAX-PVG-PEK-PVG-LAX-SJC for $524/15,334 MQMs @3.4cpm with PVG-PEK-PVG on MU with DL codes.
I'd be careful with the domestic MU segments. We've just done two MRs to KMG and the domestic segments were delayed 2+ hours. Look at flight history, domestic flights in/out of PEK/PVG are getting nailed by ATC delays.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by berliner5000
I'd be careful with the domestic MU segments. We've just done two MRs to KMG and the domestic segments were delayed 2+ hours. Look at flight history, domestic flights in/out of PEK/PVG are getting nailed by ATC delays.
I've been toying with doing a multi-day trip over Thanksgiving week. 2h20m to connect in PVG on the inbound, which from reading the various threads sounds doable without checked luggage? And with an overnight layover in PVG on the way back. I guess the risk-averse way to do this would be SJC-(LAX-)SEA-PEK on the outbound instead.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Chinese internal ATC is military controlled; so the is no logic or systems of delays. The airspace is military control. Central government favours land transportation (HSR) between major cities.

Advise:
Leave plenty of time, and then more.
Make sure it is one ticket issued on DL 006 stock.
Make sure the Chinese domestic segments are all MU operated and not MU code shares.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Advise:
Leave plenty of time, and then more.
Make sure it is one ticket issued on DL 006 stock.
Make sure the Chinese domestic segments are all MU operated and not MU code shares.
Thanks! That confirms info I'd seen in the other threads about connecting in PVG.

The China segments are DL coded, operated by MU. Since the fare requires staying some nights anyway it's not a disaster if I misconnect on the outbound, and overnight (almost 24 hours) in PVG on the return. I'm also ABC and speak passable Mandarin
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zorak
Thanks! That confirms info I'd seen in the other threads about connecting in PVG.

The China segments are DL coded, operated by MU. Since the fare requires staying some nights anyway it's not a disaster if I misconnect on the outbound, and overnight (almost 24 hours) in PVG on the return. I'm also ABC and speak passable Mandarin
My Putonghua is more than passable but I never use it when dealing airline staff, PSB and border official. I look like a sea turtle and speak Canadian English in the North and UK English in the South.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 1:19 am

Programs: UA1K, VXgold
My Putonghua is more than passable but I never use it when dealing airline staff, PSB and border official. I look like a sea turtle and speak Canadian English in the North and UK English in the South.
Is this fare gone? Not seeing anything any more out of SJC.

Last edited by artieb78; Apr 28, 2017 at 6:00 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.