Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

DL: LGA-DAD $628 August/September (3.3cpm)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL: LGA-DAD $628 August/September (3.3cpm)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2017, 7:38 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Delta, United Airlines
Originally Posted by nichelle
The last leg is on KE. I've never flown KE. Do you actually earn miles for those legs?
Unfortunately it's a V class fare and will not earn any miles on DL.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 7:40 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
If it's sold as a DL flight number, but operated by KE, you earn full mileage.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 8:57 pm

Programs: Delta DM / 1M, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Emerald Club Exec
Thanks to you both for responding. If I'm interpreting this correctly, I should earn miles.

DELTA 7680*
MAIN CABIN (V)
SEOUL-INCHEON
6:40pm
DA NANG VN, VIETNAM
9:20pm

DELTA 7681*
MAIN CABIN (V)
DA NANG VN, VIETNAM
10:50pm
SEOUL-INCHEON
5:20am

*Flight 7680 Operated by KOREAN AIR
*Flight 7681 Operated by KOREAN AIR

I had trouble selecting seats so I contacted KE. They said it's a codeshare so I'd have to work through Delta. So, I called Delta. They were able to contact KE and get my seat assigned.

When I looked up the reservation to see the seat assignment, I noticed that the KE segments indicate "0" for miles flown. So, I wasn't sure what the rules were.

Thanks!
Old Mar 25, 2017, 4:14 am

I've flown codeshare flights on KE metal... as long as it is DL flight numbers (as this does) it posts as full miles and MQM
Old Mar 26, 2017, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by dburns
Thanks -- I was serious about this. I know someone posted earlier I might not be, but people do mileage runs to SIN all the time, and stay for just a couple hours. This would be no different. Just looking for good CPM runs
I have no doubt you're serious about it. But comparing SGN to SIN is apples to oranges.

SIN has no visa requirement for most nationalities, has an airport that is fully connected both airside and non-airside and has no qualms about people who connect there. If you want to stay airside and never go through immigration the Singapore authorities don't care and will easily let you do this.

SGN, on the other hand, is completely different. You must have a visa or have a visa approval letter to show the check-in agents. Otherwise, you can make it as far as your connection point (e.g. ICN, SIN, etc.) and be denied boarding from there. Plus, once you land in SGN the airport dumps you into the arrivals hall and the immigration check point. There is a transfers counter but I've never seen one person manning it so I don't know how easy this would be. And if you don't have your boarding pass to get back on SGN-ICN (for example), you would be forced through immigration to get to the departures hall and check-in again. If it's a risk you're willing to take then go for it. But you will almost definitely be denied boarding without the visa approval letter.

Maybe what you should do is get the visa approval letter so you're sure you can board the flight to SGN. They go for $8 online. Then if the transfers counter works for you just go ahead and re-board the return flight. If it doesn't then you wait in line to get your visa on arrival, pay the $35 for a single entry, go through immigration and then to the departures hall. Bear in mind, visa on arrival takes 10-30 minutes (I've had the 10 minute experience but also the 30 minute experience). Then immigration tends to go slow. If the plane is only on the ground for an hour between turns you will not make the return flight and you'll be stuck in SGN for a day and have to rebook.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

-RM
Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I have no doubt you're serious about it. But comparing SGN to SIN is apples to oranges.

SIN has no visa requirement for most nationalities, has an airport that is fully connected both airside and non-airside and has no qualms about people who connect there. If you want to stay airside and never go through immigration the Singapore authorities don't care and will easily let you do this.

SGN, on the other hand, is completely different. You must have a visa or have a visa approval letter to show the check-in agents. Otherwise, you can make it as far as your connection point (e.g. ICN, SIN, etc.) and be denied boarding from there. Plus, once you land in SGN the airport dumps you into the arrivals hall and the immigration check point. There is a transfers counter but I've never seen one person manning it so I don't know how easy this would be. And if you don't have your boarding pass to get back on SGN-ICN (for example), you would be forced through immigration to get to the departures hall and check-in again. If it's a risk you're willing to take then go for it. But you will almost definitely be denied boarding without the visa approval letter.

Maybe what you should do is get the visa approval letter so you're sure you can board the flight to SGN. They go for $8 online. Then if the transfers counter works for you just go ahead and re-board the return flight. If it doesn't then you wait in line to get your visa on arrival, pay the $35 for a single entry, go through immigration and then to the departures hall. Bear in mind, visa on arrival takes 10-30 minutes (I've had the 10 minute experience but also the 30 minute experience). Then immigration tends to go slow. If the plane is only on the ground for an hour between turns you will not make the return flight and you'll be stuck in SGN for a day and have to rebook.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

-RM
Thank you so much - this is the information I was looking for when asking about being able to make the return flight 90 minutes later. Looks like SGN is a very different situation from SIN. I'd have paid the Visa fee given the great CPM on this fare, but same day turn in 90 minutes seems unlikely.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by dburns
Thank you so much - this is the information I was looking for when asking about being able to make the return flight 90 minutes later. Looks like SGN is a very different situation from SIN. I'd have paid the Visa fee given the great CPM on this fare, but same day turn in 90 minutes seems unlikely.
So stay a couple days? It's a very inexpensive city....pick up a few $25 rolex's as xmas gifts!
Old Apr 2, 2017, 1:34 am

Programs: AV,ST,OW Gold, Marriott Gold

Vietnam is amazing. I live here. I like a lot the Intercontinental DaNang. And you can visit HoiAn, if you want to leave the Intercon, which I doubt.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 1:40 am

Programs: Delta DM / 1M, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Emerald Club Exec
While thinking about it, I wanted to come back and thank the OP. I'm in Hoi An now and this place is fantastic. I'm staying at the Victoria Hoi An Beach Resort and Spa with the ocean just a few feet from my door.

It's very, very, very, very hot today so today is for relaxing and enjoying the ocean and resort. The next two days will be for sightseeing.

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions.

(Oh - and I even received an operational upgrade to business class on the flight from ATL to ICN. Score!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.