FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Deals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/)
-   -   QR: ATL-KUL $478 a-i RT wow + PHL/JFK/ORD/DFW/HOU/LAX/MIA long routes $500-ish (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals/1814331-qr-atl-kul-478-i-rt-wow-phl-jfk-ord-dfw-hou-lax-mia-long-routes-500-ish.html)

RustyC Jan 10, 2017 11:48 am

QR: ATL-KUL $478 a-i RT wow + PHL/JFK/ORD/DFW/HOU/LAX/MIA long routes $500-ish

I know there's a discussion thread on this in the premium deals (which I would have probably missed), but the economy deals can be tremendous as well.

Just booked an ATL-KUL trip for 2+ weeks in early Feb. at $478 RT (used ScoreCard points to get even lower). They have this fare for spring and fall at that rate and summer around $633 RT. Still a good number of dates but I can tell they've sold out on the fare class already on quite a few. DFW-BKK was supposed to be $471 RT but in looking at all the near-term dates I couldn't find availability.

Here's the promo page on Qatar's site with a full listing

Here's the listing on TFD where I found it originally

For some reason I couldn't get the flights to come up on Google Flights, but matrix.itasoftware.com had them.

They also promise 15% off if booked on Qatar's site with a Visa card and coupon code VISA, but in my case it only dropped it to $460 so it's YMMV about whether that comes off the lowest fare.

Books into O class at lowest fare, which is 25% AA or 5K-ish RDMs (though 10K-ish EQMs) if credited to AA. In my case if I cared much about requalifying AA status it'd work out to about .042 per EQM if I bought the $460 Visa deal. But they've also got a running 2x deal with their own Qmiles and a 4x deal for this week (5x yesterday) that I didn't delve into (could be one of those things where you can earn close to actual flown or maybe a bit more).

AA would probably give about 1,500 RDMs for this if bought and flown on their own metal :td::td: I recently did a paid MIA-UIO RT on them and earned 321 total RDMs :td::td: So I dedicate this trip to AA/DL/UA and the post-loyalty era they've brought on, as this is exactly the kind of price-driven booking that's more likely now that the U.S. big 3 have ensured that miles-earning on them is no longer a factor. But I'll get off the soapbox now...

The selection of city pairs seems really arbitrary (if you want to go to BKK $500-ish I only see DFW and PHL, for example). I tried ATL-BKK but it was over $800 RT, with ATL-KUL/BKK-ATL about $648.

Anyway, some tremendous deals, especially from cities like ATL that don't get as good a deal to SE Asia as JAK/ORD/LAX. You can also stop over in DOH for free, and I see in the rules that there can be a free one in Europe or Africa, though I'm not sure how you could work the routing to get that.

It's supposed to last thru 1/16 but I'm not sure the seats will be there, especially for prime dates.

lovefly88 Jan 10, 2017 12:10 pm

The OJ deal is back with this.
PHL - KUL
KUL - FCO
$411 a.i.

we did this last year except
JFK - JNB
JNB - BCN
for $405 a.i. And got a cheap Norwegian flight home. Amazing deal.

Any good beaches in Malaysia? We need to be in CGK in November but don't have exact dates yet 😔

abitlost Jan 10, 2017 12:57 pm

Amazing point. Thanks. I will look for such constructions in the future. PHL-KUL-LON is $352.
Do be mindful that beach seasons in Malaysia depend highly on geography. For example, November is likely a bit too late for the Perhentian islands. Malaysia has many great beaches and LCC flights to everywhere in the region, making reaching neighboring countries nearly as cheap as flying domestically from the capital.

Originally Posted by lovefly88 (Post 27738342)
PHL - KUL
KUL - FCO
$411 a.i.

JFK - JNB
JNB - BCN

Any good beaches in Malaysia? We need to be in CGK in November but don't have exact dates yet 😔

lovefly88 Jan 10, 2017 1:04 pm

Great find.
The Price to LHR is amazing and an opportunity to ride the A380.
Wasnt a huge fan of London though as was quite expensive and dreary. So tempted to get this but would stink to buy it for the wrong dates.

abitlost Jan 10, 2017 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by lovefly88 (Post 27738687)
Great find.
The Price to LHR is amazing and an opportunity to ride the A380.
Wasnt a huge fan of London though as was quite expensive and dreary. So tempted to get this but would stink to buy it for the wrong dates.

Paris, Cairo, Frankfurt, and a handful of other cities are about the same price as addition of LHR to PHL-KUL. Such a ticket can be slightly cheaper than a OW PHL-KUL.

RustyC Jan 10, 2017 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by lovefly88 (Post 27738342)
PHL - KUL
KUL - FCO
$411 a.i.

JFK - JNB
JNB - BCN

Great point. WOW, check this out...

ATL-KUL July 9
KUL-AMS July 25

$387 a-i for high summer for that OJ. Would have to get back from the European city somehow, maybe with a one-way award ticket or LCC flight or Icelandair or some other deal that can be done as a one-way, but if you combined that with the OJ you could get a "poor man's RTW" (an Asia stop and a Europe stop) maybe in the $600s.

Am having a bit less luck getting Africa into the picture, though ATL-KUL 1/20 and KUL-JNB 2/20 came in at $468. Can't seem to get SEZ to work.

lovefly88 Jan 10, 2017 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by RustyC (Post 27739016)
Great point. WOW, check this out...

ATL-KUL July 9
KUL-AMS July 25

$387 a-i for high summer for that OJ. Would have to get back from the European city somehow, maybe with a one-way award ticket or LCC flight or Icelandair or some other deal that can be done as a one-way, but if you combined that with the OJ you could get a "poor man's RTW" (an Asia stop and a Europe stop) maybe in the $600s.

Am having a bit less luck getting Africa into the picture, though ATL-KUL 1/20 and KUL-JNB 2/20 came in at $468. Can't seem to get SEZ to work.

Thanks for the OP. Middle East, Asia, and Africa for $468 isn't a bad price but getting home from JNB would be the issue. From Europe you can get to NYC for $140-160 on Norwegian. The only factor you have to consider with them is the no baggage allowance.
With being able to do an OJ to CDG or CAI for $360 it makes this a steal.
If one were to do PHL-DOH-KUL-DOH-CAI and then pick up the CAI-DOH-JFK-DOH-CAI for $325 that was around a few days ago would be an epic trip.

slickvik Jan 10, 2017 4:15 pm

I don't see anything about HOU on those links

RustyC Jan 10, 2017 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by slickvik (Post 27739748)
I don't see anything about HOU on those links

If you scroll down through the fares list on the QR site linked in the OP it has a number of places listed from there, with NBO the lowest at $585 RT and DXB at $625.

I think they meant HOU generically (IAH specifically), but I tried IAH-NBO-IAH 2/15-2/22 and it came up at $577 RT.

Seems kinda arbitrary that they might put 2 or 3 specific cities on sale per departure city, since everything runs through DOH anyway. Dallas gets Bangkok, Houston gets Nairobi, Atlanta and Philadelphia get Kuala Lumpur, etc.

slickvik Jan 10, 2017 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by RustyC (Post 27740087)
If you scroll down through the fares list on the QR site linked in the OP it has a number of places listed from there, with NBO the lowest at $585 RT and DXB at $625.

I think they meant HOU generically (IAH specifically), but I tried IAH-NBO-IAH 2/15-2/22 and it came up at $577 RT.

Seems kinda arbitrary that they might put 2 or 3 specific cities on sale per departure city, since everything runs through DOH anyway. Dallas gets Bangkok, Houston gets Nairobi, Atlanta and Philadelphia get Kuala Lumpur, etc.

thanks I didn't scroll down

RustyC Jan 10, 2017 8:15 pm

Given that the YQs are something like $222 out of a $478 fare, I also wonder about gas dumps.:p:p

blueferrari Jan 10, 2017 10:08 pm

more passenger in single booking will result to lower fare.

for instance I saw KUL-CDG//IST-KUL:
single pax circa 450 usd
8 pax circa 300 usd (per pax)

txviking Jan 11, 2017 3:15 am

Just booked DFW-BKK round trip for an amazing $508. Thanks for the tip!

The 4x/5x FF miles and the 15% additional Visa discount are nowhere to be seen, though. Going to call them about that tomorrow. Not super-worried about either.

I've only flown Qatar Airways once, because I've only been to Asia once before. So the frequent flyer miles probably won't do me much good regardless (the only FF miles I really collect are Delta.) The Visa discount would be nice, but at this price, I'm not complaining.

BuildingMyBento Jan 14, 2017 5:59 am

Originally Posted by txviking (Post 27742089)
Just booked DFW-BKK round trip for an amazing $508. Thanks for the tip!

The 4x/5x FF miles and the 15% additional Visa discount are nowhere to be seen, though. Going to call them about that tomorrow. Not super-worried about either.

I've only flown Qatar Airways once, because I've only been to Asia once before. So the frequent flyer miles probably won't do me much good regardless (the only FF miles I really collect are Delta.) The Visa discount would be nice, but at this price, I'm not complaining.

There was a space for "promo code" for bookings on QR's homepage. That's where you can enter "VISA" for the discount.

Also, you can get AA miles when flying with QR.

kanab Jan 16, 2017 10:09 am

How are you guys getting the 4x/5x FF miles?