Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

AA: SJC-BOS $268-274 r/t (~4.3cpm) [for those who may need that end-of year MR]

Old Dec 11, 2016, 2:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist

SJC-LAX-BOS-LAX-SJC. It seems possible to do SJC-LAX-BOS-PHL-LAX-SJC for a few extra dollars in taxes.
Departure dates this coming Tues (12/13) or Wed (12/14).
No overnight (but redeye) required.

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...JC0AA6046;eo=e
Old Dec 11, 2016, 9:48 pm

Programs: US, AA, Delta, BA, Hilton, Marriot, HYATT
The same is available in reverse also for $300.

BOS-LAX-SAN-LAX-BOS, same day turnaround.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 4:15 pm

OK...so just so that I'm aware (I'm new to this...please bare with me) for these mileage runs do you literally fly from one airport to another in one swoop just to get the miles? Or do you attempt to have some layovers here and there according to your schedule? Seems exhausting to me however I can see that if it bumps you to the next elite status it may be worth it...but don't airlines allow you to nowadays buy your next level (such as an AA boost?) or is the mileage run much cheaper than that? Thank you in advance for any assistance you choose to provide.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Tcoop14
OK...so just so that I'm aware (I'm new to this...please bare with me) for these mileage runs do you literally fly from one airport to another in one swoop just to get the miles? Or do you attempt to have some layovers here and there according to your schedule? Seems exhausting to me however I can see that if it bumps you to the next elite status it may be worth it...but don't airlines allow you to nowadays buy your next level (such as an AA boost?) or is the mileage run much cheaper than that? Thank you in advance for any assistance you choose to provide.
Yes, well-chosen mileage runs are typically cheaper than boosting (but that could change if you put a high value on your time). And yes, they can be exhausting. Layovers are good for breaking up the ride and increasing total mileage, but as you lengthen the stay at any stop you potentially increase food and lodging costs. There is a continuum between a pure mileage run (100% driven by mile-earning value) and a pure normal trip (100% driven by getting somewhere to do something off the plane).
Old Dec 12, 2016, 6:13 pm

Thank you so much! I'll continue to research so I have more informed questions!
Old Dec 17, 2016, 6:16 am

Programs: AA EXP | Sixt Plat | Avis Pref+
Can anyone see this with stop/starts at PHL? I need 18k EQM to make EXP (2 business trips cancelled). Some mind applying SWUs for comfort and have no problem spending a day or two on a plane.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by twizz71
Can anyone see this with stop/starts at PHL? I need 18k EQM to make EXP (2 business trips cancelled). Some mind applying SWUs for comfort and have no problem spending a day or two on a plane.
If you are willing to go up to LGA, you could do LGA-SJC tomorrow for $200
https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...=ONEWORLD;eo=e

And then SJC-BOS, routing through PHL, on the 19th for $137.
https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...=ONEWORLD;eo=e

But if you need 18k EQMs, I think it might be more efficient to look at doing a longer trip to Asia or looking at cheap first/business fares, especially since there are only two weeks left in the year.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 9:59 am

Appreciate the response my friend! Unfortunately, I was already on a pre-committed trip 17th-23rd -- working on options for next week.

Current count is approx 15.5k EQMs needed. Would love to find a sub $1k fare on an overseas turnaround (asia/europe) where I can apply 2 SWUs for upgrades and be super comfortable. Can't seem to find any good segments and I'm not versed on searching codeshare stuff.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 9:36 am

I'm in the same boat. About 15.5K EQMs short. Is it even worth it at this point? I've never reached EXP before.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by twizz71
Appreciate the response my friend! Unfortunately, I was already on a pre-committed trip 17th-23rd -- working on options for next week.

Current count is approx 15.5k EQMs needed. Would love to find a sub $1k fare on an overseas turnaround (asia/europe) where I can apply 2 SWUs for upgrades and be super comfortable. Can't seem to find any good segments and I'm not versed on searching codeshare stuff.
Originally Posted by n923la
I'm in the same boat. About 15.5K EQMs short. Is it even worth it at this point? I've never reached EXP before.
With one week left, there aren't many options. I was able to find this for $1,008 that should easily get you over 15.5k EQM. Accounting for the fact that the JL flight only earns 0.5EQM, it's about 5.8cpm -- so not terrible.

12/26: PHL-DFW-PVG
12/28: SHA-HND-LAX-BOS

It does require an overnight in Shanghai, and leaves from PHL and returns into BOS (note also that the outbound is to Pudong and the inbound is from Hongqiao). No visa is required. I would book quickly since this is leaving tomorrow.

To replicate on AA.com, use multi-city search, search PHL-PVG and SHA-BOS, and search by schedule.

I haven't done a thorough search, so there might be something better if one spends the time -- but at this point, not sure there's a lot of time. Flying on Christmas would probably have been cheaper.

Happy holidays -- and good luck!
Attached Images  
Old Dec 25, 2016, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by n923la
Is it even worth it at this point? I've never reached EXP before.
Only you can answer whether it's worth it to aim for EXP.

I will say that IMO there is big difference between PLT and EXP in terms of upgrades, priority during IRROPs, etc. Being EXP was the difference between me getting home for Christmas vs. being stranded at DFW one year. But I also value time with my family highly and I'm not sure I would want to spend my limited vacation time this week flying to Asia for miles.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 9:16 pm

In the consolidated AA mile run thread, I found EWR-CLT-DFW-NRT with a 2 hour layover before turning around back to do NRT-DFW-EWR. Leave the 28th, back on the 29th. 15,690ish for a $1,185 fare.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Great. Safe travels.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 12:09 pm

Last minute AA run

Has anyone seen any same day or two day turnaround runs from BDL, BOS, MHT, or PVD? I need 7251 miles to keep my executive platinum status on American. Could leave tonight, or tomorrow 12/29, but would need to return by 12/30 at the latest. Had an end of the year business trip canceled so trying to make up for it and keep status! Would prefer to keep it inexpensive.

Last edited by Bobbykpc2; Dec 28, 2016 at 12:12 pm Reason: Typo

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.