Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

DL: BOS-PVG via DTW r/t $512 (15,500mi 3.3cpm) fare class V mid Jan

Old Dec 1, 2016, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Hey, first time post here on FT! Came across a cheap status challenge fulfilling run. Sad Panda news - CHINA VISA REQ

But you can do midweek, or even longer.

BOS-DTW-PVG-DTW-BOS $512 @ 15,500mi
Fare class V so it's only 50% miles but you still get 100% MQMs

Example from ITA: 1/20-1/23
Outbound:
Boston (BOS) to Detroit (DTW) — Fri, Jan 20
Delta 2002 Dep: 10:55 am Arr: 1:15 pm Economy (V)
Detroit (DTW) to Shanghai (PVG) — Fri, Jan 20
Delta 583 Dep: 3:30 pm Arr: 7:20 pm Economy (V)

Return:
Shanghai (PVG) to Detroit (DTW) — Mon, Jan 23
Delta 582 Dep: 12:30 pm Arr: 1:24 pm Economy (V)
Detroit (DTW) to Boston (BOS) — Mon, Jan 23
Delta 1722 Dep: 3:55 pm Arr: 5:56 pm Economy (V)

A lot of carriers are doing cheap flights BOS-PVG
I just booked an AA BOS-ORD-PVG-NRT-BOS with JAL operating AA CS (PVG-NRT-BOS all on JAL!) on the return leg for $530 netting 16,500 EQMs and will do the $200 status challange for Platinum. $730 for instant Platinum FTW

Last edited by dablazin; Dec 1, 2016 at 3:03 pm
Old Dec 1, 2016, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Welcome to FT. Great first post! Except...

Originally Posted by dablazin
Hey, first time post here on FT! Came across a cheap status challenge fulfilling run. NO VISA REQUIRED IN SHANGHAI 144hr visa free
...visa is required in Shanghai if not in transit to a third country. USA-China-USA is not valid for the transit without visa.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Welcome to FT. Great first post! Except...

...visa is required in Shanghai if not in transit to a third country. USA-China-USA is not valid for the transit without visa.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that the 144hr stay validity required an outbound flight that wasn't the same as the arrival country. Oh well, I guess it's good for those who have valid China visa's then. I have amended my OP. Thanks for the heads up
Old Dec 1, 2016, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dablazin
I'm sorry, I didn't realize that the 144hr stay validity required an outbound flight that wasn't the same as the arrival country. Oh well, I guess it's good for those who have valid China visa's then. I have amended my OP. Thanks for the heads up
Check to see if you can possibly route through Japan or South Korea in one direction. But do check this thread, it has all the info: China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread
Old Dec 1, 2016, 5:14 pm

Is the Visa situation correct???? I'm flying to PVG tomorrow and arrive Sat at 6pm. It's 3 hour layover then come back at 9pm. Are you saying I can't do this???? OH NO!!!!
Old Dec 1, 2016, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wspfan
Is the Visa situation correct???? I'm flying to PVG tomorrow and arrive Sat at 6pm. It's 3 hour layover then come back at 9pm. Are you saying I can't do this???? OH NO!!!!
If you are arriving from the same country as you will be departing to at PVG, you will need a visa. If you don't have a visa, you just got yourself a lot more free time this weekend!
Old Dec 1, 2016, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
If you are arriving from the same country as you will be departing to at PVG, you will need a visa. If you don't have a visa, you just got yourself a lot more free time this weekend!
Crap. I guess cancel this mile run and find another? Darn it. THANKS !!! Glad I found this thread.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wspfan
Crap. I guess cancel this mile run and find another? Darn it. THANKS !!! Glad I found this thread.
Better that you caught it now, and not when you got to the airport and were denied boarding.

Check the first sticky in the China forum for a wiki and lots of info on the TWOV (transit with out visa) rules: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...er-thread.html
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:43 am

will they let you on th DTW - PVG flight if you miss the BOS - DTW flight?
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eagleized
will they let you on th DTW - PVG flight if you miss the BOS - DTW flight?
No. All flights must be taken in sequential order as shown on the ticket.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Chinese visa for US Citizens are good for 10 years, yea they aren't cheap but i can jump on any China deal i want now. There are always deals to China.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.