Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

COPA: IAD-SCL wide open at $392

Old Nov 14, 2016, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Wide open through the end of the schedule. Seems to be available on Avianca, too. I bought it as a vacation fare. I think it earns 75% UA miles: can anyone confirm that? Any other good place to credit it?

A shame because my platinum Copa ConnectMiles status (through a status match) will expire before I fly. I think I could have used a free upgrade on the fare.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 8:33 am

Thanks. Pretty crappy and long connections to get there from what I'm seeing. But it's a great fare.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
Wide open through the end of the schedule. Seems to be available on Avianca, too. I bought it as a vacation fare. I think it earns 75% UA miles: can anyone confirm that? Any other good place to credit it?
These look like E fares for Copa, which are good for 50% on UA. I had that on a recent Copa flight too.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by danpeake
Thanks. Pretty crappy and long connections to get there from what I'm seeing. But it's a great fare.
Not crappy connections at all. Look again. Mine are both under 2 hours. Copa's own website has an efficient interface to see what's available.

The downside is that, with Copa, you pretty much have to fly during the daytime to deep South America. So if you're trying to maximize "days at your destination," it's inefficient. The traditional nonstops tend to be efficient redeyes. Of course, if you have the time, you might prefer Copa's daytime travel.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 9:06 am

Programs: UA Silver, MR titanium
I booked this 2 months ago, I choose to have a 22 hr layover in pty too see if I want to come back, both morning flts
Old Nov 14, 2016, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yuel
I booked this 2 months ago, I choose to have a 22 hr layover in pty too see if I want to come back, both morning flts
If you have the time, PTY can be a decent 1-day stopover if you've never visited. The Canal is certainly worth a look.

I was actually going to look if a "real" stopover could be added under the fare rules, but decided to just spend all my time in Chile.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 10:47 am

Programs: UA Silver, MR titanium
Originally Posted by iahphx
If you have the time, PTY can be a decent 1-day stopover if you've never visited. The Canal is certainly worth a look.

I was actually going to look if a "real" stopover could be added under the fare rules, but decided to just spend all my time in Chile.
24hr layover was the longest I could find for the cheap price, so more time for me skiing in August
Old Nov 14, 2016, 11:15 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, US, SQ, TK, SPG, HH, CC, Avis, Hertz, Thrifty, Enterprise, Chase UR, Amex MR
Do those days work for 11/18 - 27? I don't see those prices.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 9:25 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
AV flies their 787 from BOG overnight, only problem is you get to SCL so damn early in the morning and the flight isn't really long enough to get a decent length of sleep.

That said, I'd probably opt for the AV option. I saw it come up as a deal the other day, still kinda sitting on it since I've been to SCL already and living in YVR getting to IAD isn't cheap.

Anyone looked at a way to parlay it to EZE or maybe MVD? I couldn't find anything super cheap from SCL.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drvannostren
AV flies their 787 from BOG overnight, only problem is you get to SCL so damn early in the morning and the flight isn't really long enough to get a decent length of sleep.

That said, I'd probably opt for the AV option. I saw it come up as a deal the other day, still kinda sitting on it since I've been to SCL already and living in YVR getting to IAD isn't cheap.

Anyone looked at a way to parlay it to EZE or maybe MVD? I couldn't find anything super cheap from SCL.
Personally, I'd pass on this fare if I didn't live within driving distance of IAD. The South America market has changed a bit; there will be reasonable fares from elsewhere. Or use miles.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
What am I doing wrong? I am looking on google flights with flexible dates for late December and it's coming up as $754 for the dates I want and the cheapest $577 for the dates I don't want.

Sidenote: Can you use United GPU or RPU on e fares on Copa?
Old Nov 16, 2016, 7:25 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by 100% Green

Sidenote: Can you use United GPU or RPU on e fares on Copa?
My guess is not anymore. You could use them on Copa last year when Copa just changed their FF program. You can search Copa threads.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Can you use United GPU or RPU on e fares on Copa?
Originally Posted by Kmxu
My guess is not anymore.
Why guess?

From united.com:

Regional Premier® Upgrades are one-way, one-cabin upgrades, confirmable as early as time of ticketing on eligible United-, United Express®- and Copa Airlines-operated flights.
And:

All multi-cabin flights operated by Copa Airlines are eligible for Regional Premier Upgrades and Global Premier Upgrades without fare restrictions.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Great deal if you can get the RPU to clear on this flight.

Unfortunately I can't find this rate in late December. Anyone know if i'm doing something wrong or if it's jus not available anymore?
Old Nov 16, 2016, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott
Great deal if you can get the RPU to clear on this flight.

Unfortunately I can't find this rate in late December. Anyone know if i'm doing something wrong or if it's jus not available anymore?
The first $393 fare I see isn't until Jan 2. Not surprised you can't find it around the holidays.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.