Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Austrian/UA: SFO - VIE $467 RT

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2016, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Smile Austrian/UA: SFO - VIE $467 RT

Fall travel to Vienna is a bargain shopper paradise right now. Most itineraries from SFO are below $500. Take a look:

https://concorde.io/deals/os-sfo-vie-for-467-round-trip
https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...0-30;a=-WW,-DY
Old Aug 15, 2016, 6:47 pm

Programs: kayaker
The problem with (almost) all of these is that the TATL segment is operated by a LH-group carrier in a fare class that earns practically zilch on any partner airline.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Would this not earn 100% on SQ for the Austrian flights?
Old Aug 15, 2016, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by trapped
Would this not earn 100% on SQ for the Austrian flights?
Looks like only 50% on AC and UA, and pretty worthless otherwise: http://www.wheretocredit.com/austrian-airlines/k

Still good if you actually want to get to Europe though
Old Aug 15, 2016, 7:37 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Doesn't this earn 100% PQM though?

K class does earn 50% RDM (+ premier bonus of 25-100%)

Not sure why this isn't a good deal to credit to UA?
Old Aug 15, 2016, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
Doesn't this earn 100% PQM though?

K class does earn 50% RDM (+ premier bonus of 25-100%)

Not sure why this isn't a good deal to credit to UA?
Because at $500 for under 9k RDM, you're looking at close to 6cpm. Is that really a MR in your book?

I guess with the premier bonus it can be revised to a more reasonable number, but my paltry 25% *S only gets me down to ~5cpm. Maybe I just need to recalibrate expectations in this era of spend-based rewards.

(I'm also trying to find something that I can use to re-up my wife's A3*G for next year. Cheap LH/LX/OS/SN fares are a no-go.)
Old Aug 15, 2016, 8:02 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by o mikros
Because at $500 for under 9k RDM, you're looking at close to 6cpm. Is that really a MR in your book?

I guess with the premier bonus it can be revised to a more reasonable number, but my paltry 25% *S only gets me down to ~5cpm. Maybe I just need to recalibrate expectations in this era of spend-based rewards.

(I'm also trying to find something that I can use to re-up my wife's A3*G for next year. Cheap LH/LX/OS/SN fares are a no-go.)
Not trying to be snarky, but cpm is usually calculated based on PQM (or 'qualifying miles') and for this, it's roughly 3.8cpm which is definitely good but there is better out there...

I kind of consider the RDM for this a win when crediting to UA, since if on 016 ticket stock, it would only earn between 2500-5500 RDM depending on elite status because it is based on spend. Yet when on another airline's stock it would earn at minimum 6500 RDM and up to the full 13000 for a 1K when crediting to UA
Old Aug 16, 2016, 2:20 pm

Not trying to be snarky, but cpm is usually calculated based on PQM (or 'qualifying miles') and for this, it's roughly 3.8cpm which is definitely good but there is better out there...

I kind of consider the RDM for this a win when crediting to UA, since if on 016 ticket stock, it would only earn between 2500-5500 RDM depending on elite status because it is based on spend. Yet when on another airline's stock it would earn at minimum 6500 RDM and up to the full 13000 for a 1K when crediting to UA
Fair enough, though I don't consider 3.8cpm (for PQM) to be MR material. Maybe I'm too fixated on the "good old days" when MRs below 2.0 were not uncommon.

And I guess I never took a MR for status only -- for me it had to be a net positive in terms of price paid vs. RDM earned.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 9:21 pm

+1
Revenue based RDM's are the new standard for almost all legacy carriers. You have to also consider the markets. Europe has always been a premium market yielding lower CPM's than, say Asia. It's a new world for FF programs and we must adjust. If only Richard Anderson had stayed at United Healthcare after leaving NWA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.