Search

AA BOS-GIG $399 R/T March - June ~4 cpm

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2016, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by 869
ugh... zika is not my friend
Zika is your friend, why do you think these fares are so cheap?

In all honesty, it is probably better to delay travel until the weather gets cooler in the summer, and this whole thing die down...Book as late as possible, June should be better, and you still get the full RDMs.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by nk15
Zika is your friend, why do you think these fares are so cheap?

In all honesty, it is probably better to delay travel until the weather gets cooler in the summer, and this whole thing die down...Book as late as possible, June should be better, and you still get the full RDMs.
Zika is definitely not my friend right now. Looking at canceling multiple trips this year.

Airlines have been getting crushed on brazil routes for a while now and cheap fares are not new. Y was sub 500 last summer. In fact, I'm sitting on multiple J class RTs booked for sub-1k each.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by 869
Zika is definitely not my friend right now. Looking at canceling multiple trips this year.

Airlines have been getting crushed on brazil routes for a while now and cheap fares are not new. Y was sub 500 last summer. In fact, I'm sitting on multiple J class RTs booked for sub-1k each.
I am also concerned about this, it is a tough decision, because this is the last semester to get the good RDMs. I am under the impression that the GIG area is not as affected, and they will be spraying like crazy until the Olympics, which combined with the colder winter weather there will hopefully control the problem by June or so, for the most part. I also have a very cheap J trip with a ton of RDMs in the summer, and I will wait and see.

The other tricky thing is how to cancel, if you decide to do so. My trip is quite complex and I will watch out for any schedule changes or aircraft substitutions, any swaps of lie flats for angle flats and I am out...Although I hope to go.

Btw, this is a crazy world we live in, you can't safely plan travel not even 6 months ahead of time, you don't know when a bird flue epidemic will suddenly resurface in ICN or HKG, exotic mosquito epidemics and political and economic unrest in S. America; N. Africa and the Middle East is a no go zone for the most part (even Israel you don't know when they will start killing each other on a moment's notice), you can't predict what relations will be with Russia even a few months down the road, and the state dept has travel alerts and warnings for 50-60 countries at any given time.

Last edited by nk15; Feb 6, 2016 at 8:34 pm
Old Feb 6, 2016, 4:52 pm

Programs: Tim Horton's Gold
Thanks OP!
got one $475 (Cad $675); good for Saturday departure.
This is one of the cheapest ex YYC to Brazil.

Last edited by Calgary88; Feb 6, 2016 at 5:23 pm
Old Feb 6, 2016, 8:26 pm
wmz

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by nk15
I am also concerned about this, it is a tough decision, because this is the last semester to get the good RDMs. I am under the impression that the GIG area is not as affected, and they will be spraying like crazy until the Olympics, which combined with the colder winter weather there will hopefully control the problem by June or so, for the most part. I also have a very cheap J trip with a ton of RDMs in the summer, and I will wait and see.

The other tricky thing is how to cancel, if you decide to do so. My trip is quite complex and I will watch out for any schedule changes or aircraft substitutions, any swaps of lie flats for angle flats and I am out...Although I hope to go.

Btw, this is a crazy world we live in, you can't safely plan travel not even 6 months ahead of time, you don't know when a bird fly epidemic will suddenly resurface in ICN or HKG, exotic mosquito epidemics and political and economic unrest in S. America; N. Africa and the Middle East is a no go zone for the most part (even Israel you don't know when they will start killing each other on a moment's notice), you can't predict what relations will be with Russia even a few months down the road, and the state dept has travel alerts and warnings for 50-60 countries at any given time.
I'm in GIG now for Carnaval, and I haven't seen a single mosquito. Almost all guys are shirtless in the streets. I sprayed 100% DEET on myself and got 0 bites. Zika is way over-exaggerated.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 7:16 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Ambassador, Delta Diamond, Hertz Platinum
How much time pre-departure?

Would this work? Get into JFK 8:15PM, leave for GIG at 9:35...

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...3-JFKGIG0AA973
Old Feb 7, 2016, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by VisaW
Would this work? Get into JFK 8:15PM, leave for GIG at 9:35...

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...3-JFKGIG0AA973
1 h 20 min is a legal connection in JFK. Also, the actual flying time between DCA and JFK is about 45 min. Of course, evening flights from DCA on American Eagle are often a mess as delays accumulate throughout the day. Also, in the evening JFK often has air traffic delays. Then there is 10-15+ min walk between different parts of the JFK terminal.
Delays for the evening flights DCA-JFK by 1 hr are quite common - you can check flightstats.com for today's evening flights. Your problem is that if your DCA-JKF flight is delayed you will have no other options of getting to RIO on that evening.
Whether or not to take those flights - it is entirely up to you.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Ambassador, Delta Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Hugely helpful, Alex -- thank you!
Old Feb 9, 2016, 2:47 am

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by wmz
I'm in GIG now for Carnaval, and I haven't seen a single mosquito. Almost all guys are shirtless in the streets. I sprayed 100% DEET on myself and got 0 bites. Zika is way over-exaggerated.
People walking shirtless in the streets is hardly indicative of it being exaggerated. I dive caves in Florida and have not once seen an alligator in the river at the same time.
Just because you didn't see it, it doesn't mean that it isn't there.
I am not a fan of media-driven mania over any issue but to suggest it doesn't exist or it is over exaggerated because you didn't see one is irresponsible at best.

That being said, I have been back and forth to Brazil about 8 times in the last 365. No Zika. Thats doesn't mean it is exaggerated. I go to NE Brazil where mosquitos are prevalent.

Now, about the thread, best I can find is on AA from north/central Fl to Rio in March is $467, for almost any day in the month of March-4.8cpm. $433 out of Boston.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 2:03 pm

Got BOS-GRU for Memorial Day for $439, not too shabby at all!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.