Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

AA: SFO (and other cities)-DFW-PVG-DFW-SFO (and other creative routings) - ~$550

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA: SFO (and other cities)-DFW-PVG-DFW-SFO (and other creative routings) - ~$550

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2016, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite

SFO-DFW-PVG//PVG-DFW-SFO for $591 round trip

SFO-DFW-PVG//HKG-DFW-SFO for $515 round trip (no need for China visa fee, you can get a one-way PVG-HKG for 7500 Avios).

Available Feb/March/April. Often available on Friday departure and Monday return. Spend a night or two in PVG or HKG.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 2:41 pm

I'm not finding this on either google flights or ITA. This is why I always include a link if I post a MR
Old Jan 23, 2016, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Here's an example

Availability seems to be more limited now than it was earlier, but it's still there.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 4:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, AA Exec Plat
i was able to get it via itA and book directly with AA. booked my trip for the 2nd weekend of April from SFo->PVG/HKG->SFO for 540 each, very nice find op, thank you
Old Jan 23, 2016, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
600USD for SEA-DFW-PVG for a few dates i checked, probably less possible too. Not bad for the mileage. 600USD for 18k miles makes 3.33cpm!

Looked a bit more, the PVG/HKG OJ is amazing. Look at this:

SEA-DFW-HKG//PVG-DFW-SEA = 539USD for nearly 18k miles and an amazing 2.87cpm. Sample April 11-17

Last edited by Smiley90; Jan 23, 2016 at 7:06 pm
Old Jan 23, 2016, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by x9bull
i was able to get it via itA and book directly with AA. booked my trip for the 2nd weekend of April from SFo->PVG/HKG->SFO for 540 each, very nice find op, thank you
Yay! Glad someone was able to benefit from one of my posts
Old Jan 23, 2016, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Smiley90
600USD for SEA-DFW-PVG for a few dates i checked, probably less possible too. Not bad for the mileage. 600USD for 18k miles makes 3.33cpm!

Looked a bit more, the PVG/HKG OJ is amazing. Look at this:

SEA-DFW-HKG//PVG-DFW-SEA = 539USD for nearly 18k miles and an amazing 2.87cpm. Sample April 11-17
Nice! The funny thing about the Open Jaw is that I can't figure out why it's cheaper. HKG roundtrip is more expensive, and PVG roundtrip is more expensive. Makes me wonder if the base fare is actually lower for an OJ ticket than a R/T. Oh well, I don't ask too many questions in situations like this... I just book my ticket and hope for the best!
Old Jan 23, 2016, 8:30 pm

UA is cheaper than AA at $491

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...7,HKGSFO0UA862
Old Jan 23, 2016, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by mmjaysee
Nice! The funny thing about the Open Jaw is that I can't figure out why it's cheaper. HKG roundtrip is more expensive, and PVG roundtrip is more expensive. Makes me wonder if the base fare is actually lower for an OJ ticket than a R/T. Oh well, I don't ask too many questions in situations like this... I just book my ticket and hope for the best!
we're seeing this (OJ being less than RT) a lot now- both in Europe and asia. usually KLU is cheaper if you return from SIN. yeah, go figure. sure would like to see one of these fares thru HKG on to BKK/PNH/SGN/etc with AA flight numbers like we see to CGK/KUL. best i'm finding is low $700's. not bad, but with all the low fares now, $740 seems expensive!
Old Jan 23, 2016, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by mmjaysee
It might be a tax (arrival/departure tax) issue for the airports, one would have to compare the fare breakdown
Old Jan 23, 2016, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
we're seeing this (OJ being less than RT) a lot now- both in Europe and asia. usually KLU is cheaper if you return from SIN. yeah, go figure. sure would like to see one of these fares thru HKG on to BKK/PNH/SGN/etc with AA flight numbers like we see to CGK/KUL. best i'm finding is low $700's. not bad, but with all the low fares now, $740 seems expensive!
Yeah I did the CGK round trip a few months ago for about $800 then went to Bali for a week. Now it's so much cheaper. Everything seems to be $500-$600 these days. Brazil, China, SE Asia. Still haven't found much cheap stuff to Europe except for the Norwegian routes OSL CPH and STO.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HGH Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Silver, Avis PP.
Booked SEA-DFW-HKG//PVG-DFW-SEA for $538 @ 0.0287CPM. Thanks OP.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Exec Citi, NZ* G, Nat EE, Avis PP, HH Gold
These still have the three day minimum in the fare rules, don't they? That's a non-starter for me, unfortunately, as I'm generally tacking on MR's to the start or end of the trip back to the States.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 1:40 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by hartlogan
These still have the three day minimum in the fare rules, don't they? That's a non-starter for me, unfortunately, as I'm generally tacking on MR's to the start or end of the trip back to the States.
No, you can arrive PVG on Saturday afternoon and leave HKG on Sunday.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Uknowwhattheysayaboutrobert
Booked SEA-DFW-HKG//PVG-DFW-SEA for $538 @ 0.0287CPM. Thanks OP.
^^^ my pleasure!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.