Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL: NYC - SCL, $399 rt, 3.51 cpm possible

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2015, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Quinlanty
I just saw this on the Chilean Embassy website.
"Hotels waive Chile's 18% sales tax applied to rooms when the guest shows the tourist card and pays with U.S. dollars. On flights leaving Chile, there is an airport tax of US$18, or the equivalent in Chilean Pesos. On domestic flights airport tax is included in the airline ticket."

Anyone have any experience regarding the hotel tax part?
It is simple in the chain hotels, they know the drill. The small places outside Santiago is where you might have issues, but the cost might be low enough to just ignore. Just bring your passport and ask to be charged in dollars, easy.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
In for a southbound oneway to replace a convoluted mileage redemption. Was going to being family along but there seems to be no northbound availability in January.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 9:57 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by thepaul500
It is simple in the chain hotels, they know the drill. The small places outside Santiago is where you might have issues, but the cost might be low enough to just ignore. Just bring your passport and ask to be charged in dollars, easy.
Thanks!
Old Oct 10, 2015, 7:50 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by thepaul500
2nd thanks! I just booked a Christmas trip to Medellin as usual but stopping first in SCL, totally unrelated to this thread, but I know threads like this often have little nuggets of info just like this!

I wonder if I show them my Canadian passport if they'll charge me in USD? Assuming they use a close to real exchange rate, I can pay with a CC that even with a 3% bump for foreign transactions still would be worth doing to save 18%.

Anyone know how this works on hotels paid for online btw? Do they refund the tax? Or do they just never charge it in the first place? That said I think based on the airbnb prices I'll probably go that way so it might be moot
Old Oct 10, 2015, 9:28 am

Programs: Aeroplan - SkyMiles - HHonors
Originally Posted by Quinlanty
I just saw this on the Chilean Embassy website.
"Hotels waive Chile's 18% sales tax applied to rooms when the guest shows the tourist card and pays with U.S. dollars. On flights leaving Chile, there is an airport tax of US$18, or the equivalent in Chilean Pesos. On domestic flights airport tax is included in the airline ticket."

Anyone have any experience regarding the hotel tax part?
At check-out the Hotel will issue an "Export Sales Invoice" in USD at the exchange rate of the day.

Only condition, to show (and they will photocopy) a passport other than from Chile.

No tax (VAT) will be included as it is consider an "export", in this case of services.

Any Credit Card, is acceptable but charges will be in USD.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by drvannostren
2nd thanks! I just booked a Christmas trip to Medellin as usual but stopping first in SCL, totally unrelated to this thread, but I know threads like this often have little nuggets of info just like this!

I wonder if I show them my Canadian passport if they'll charge me in USD? Assuming they use a close to real exchange rate, I can pay with a CC that even with a 3% bump for foreign transactions still would be worth doing to save 18%.

Anyone know how this works on hotels paid for online btw? Do they refund the tax? Or do they just never charge it in the first place? That said I think based on the airbnb prices I'll probably go that way so it might be moot
Not, it will not work, as they have no way to verify citizenship and issue the proper "Export Sales Invoice" in USD.

Yes, you can use yor Canadian issue Credit Card, but will be charged in USD at the Chile Central Banks rate of the day.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 9:39 am

O-W at 179USD -JFK-ATL-SCL

Old Oct 10, 2015, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by carlos_canada
At check-out the Hotel will issue an "Export Sales Invoice" in USD at the exchange rate of the day.

Only condition, to show (and they will photocopy) a passport other than from Chile.

No tax (VAT) will be included as it is consider an "export", in this case of services.

Any Credit Card, is acceptable but charges will be in USD.
This sounds almost like the hotel uses dynamic currency conversion but with tax being 18%, you still win.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 1:51 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This sounds almost like the hotel uses dynamic currency conversion but with tax being 18%, you still win.
I think most hotels charge in US dollars. At least thats what I saw for Ritz, SPG, and Hilton. So there wouldn't be any way to do the dynamic currency conversion scam right??
Old Oct 10, 2015, 2:03 pm

Programs: latam
What means CPM?
Old Oct 10, 2015, 2:20 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by diegopalas
What means CPM?
ˇBienvenidos a FlyerTalk!

You already received a reply to your question in this thread

You may also find the FT glossary useful: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glossary.php

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.