Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

AA: IAH-JNB from $790 ai (23,466 EQM @ 3.43 cpm)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2015, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PlatPro, Asiana Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

Just booked & ticketed: IAH-LAX-LHR-JNB-LHR-MIA-IAH for $805.02 via BA telephone. Routing is 23,466 miles @ 3.43 cpm.

1) Search initial dates on Google Flights
2) Extend and find AA medal options via ITA Matrix ("o:aa lax o:aa lhr ba")
3) Call BA to book (can't find LA-routed options via BA website + one leg of itinerary is AA marketed but sold by BA)

AA Plat/ExPlat members would earn 46,932 RDM, valued at $797.84 at The Points Guy's 1.7-cent valuation for AA miles.

AA Platinum status, so flying as much AA medal as possible: AA-AA-BA-BA-AA-AA

Fare rules only allow 2 transfers, so use them wisely. However, each transfer can be a free stopover. Although, if you do a stopover in London, ~$100 extra taxes will be tacked on.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 10:07 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by FlyerJT
Just booked & ticketed: IAH-LAX-LHR-JNB-LHR-MIA-IAH for $805.02 via BA telephone. Routing is 23,466 miles @ 3.43 cpm.

1) Search initial dates on Google Flights
2) Extend and find AA medal options via ITA Matrix ("o:aa lax o:aa lhr ba")
3) Call BA to book (can't find LA-routed options via BA website + one leg of itinerary is AA marketed but sold by BA)

AA Plat/ExPlat members would earn 46,932 RDM, valued at $797.84 at The Points Guy's 1.7-cent valuation for AA miles.

AA Platinum status, so flying as much AA medal as possible: AA-AA-BA-BA-AA-AA

Fare rules only allow 2 transfers, so use them wisely. However, each transfer can be a free stopover. Although, if you do a stopover in London, ~$100 extra taxes will be tacked on.
It's been talked about for a while this year (and last year)... its a perennial fare with BA.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...93-3-8cpm.html

One thing to keep in mind since you booked through BA is you should have used a Chase credit card and AARP to save another ~$150. Also, keep in mind that if you use BA ticket stock, you CAN NOT upgrade on AA segments, so there is no reason to book on AA vs BA except for aircraft preference.

My experience (and others) is that IAH-LHR can be an extremely lightly booked flight. I had one flight with 150+ Y seats empty. You will never find that from an AA hub.

Have fun, I'm doing Joberg in November and probably 1-2 times in January/February once they renew the Chase/AARP discounts for 2016.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, LY Top-Platinum, HGP Diamond, HH Diamond, IHGR Platinum Amb
Very nice fare.

Of course it's a discounted-economy fare, books into O, and so only earns 50% EQP on AAdvantage. A ticket in V will cost about 1400$, almost double, but it seems the V fare is pricing the same for many US airports and to CPT as destination. If visiting South Africa is one of the goals - this higher priced ticket would save on some positioning flight. Just a thought.

I'm not a fan of the BA A380 in Y. It makes sense to upgrade these overnight segment to PE using avios (possible?). Or take the 747 instead.

Thanks for posting.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PlatPro, Asiana Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by imapilotaz
It's been talked about for a while this year (and last year)... its a perennial fare with BA.

One thing to keep in mind since you booked through BA is you should have used a Chase credit card and AARP to save another ~$150. Also, keep in mind that if you use BA ticket stock, you CAN NOT upgrade on AA segments, so there is no reason to book on AA vs BA except for aircraft preference.

My experience (and others) is that IAH-LHR can be an extremely lightly booked flight. I had one flight with 150+ Y seats empty. You will never find that from an AA hub.

Have fun, I'm doing Joberg in November and probably 1-2 times in January/February once they renew the Chase/AARP discounts for 2016.
Thanks for the tips! I'm still within the 24-hour cancellation period, so I can still cancel and rebook. However, my routing needs to remain the same for particular reasons.

For the AARP discount: Do you know if all segments have to BA-marketed? BA was able to sell me an AA-marketed leg from IAH-LAX - to avoid leaving IAH at 6 am and having an additional 6 hours in LA.

Do you know if the AARP discount + BA Visa 10% off discount can be applied over the phone?

FYI: I booked BA-stock on AA medal to get free MCE (Main Cabin Extra) on the long legs. No SWUs available anyways.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by imapilotaz

Can't use SWU for 125 stock?!
Old Sep 22, 2015, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IC Plat, SPG Gold
Do you know if the AARP discount + BA Visa 10% off discount can be applied over the phone?
For AARP to work, all the flights must be coded as BA numbers.
For Chase 10% discount work all the flights must be marketed and operated by BA.

Not sure if these can be applied over phone. Since you are within the 24 hour cancellation window as you booked today, you may want to call and ask for AARP and Chase discounts.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aglp2k
For AARP to work, all the flights must be coded as BA numbers.
For Chase 10% discount work all the flights must be marketed and operated by BA.

Not sure if these can be applied over phone. Since you are within the 24 hour cancellation window as you booked today, you may want to call and ask for AARP and Chase discounts.
As a follow-up, I called BA as if I was making a new booking. I confirmed that I am unable to apply either of these discounts for this booking.
1) 10% discount: Outbound by December 31 (traveling in January)
2) AARP: Must be done online, cannot be applied over the phone.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
As a follow-up, I called BA as if I was making a new booking. I confirmed that I am unable to apply either of these discounts for this booking.
1) 10% discount: Outbound by December 31 (traveling in January)
2) AARP: Must be done online, cannot be applied over the phone.
Could you apply the 10% to AA marketed flights if departing before Dec 31?
Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:55 pm

What dates did you book? I'm not seeing this for less than $1500 when searching google flights/ITA, so clearly I'm doing something wrong.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Phasers
Playing around with the BA website, I'm finding the answer to be no. Not even BA-marketed, AA-operated flights are available.

However, if you are flying in 2015, you can get a killer deal with IAH-LHR-JNB-LHR-IAH direct on BA medal. I don't have AARP membership, but I read that the 10% and the $65-off are stackable (although I cannot figure out which order they are applied). Depending on the order, it would either be $645.91 (3.09 cpm) or $652.41 (3.12 cpm).
Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by d0t3hchacha
What dates did you book? I'm not seeing this for less than $1500 when searching google flights/ITA, so clearly I'm doing something wrong.
Outbound: Sat, Jan 23
Return: Mon, Jan 25
It does require a Saturday night "stay", but that can be satisfied in the air.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Phasers
Unfortunately 10% discount is not yet available if travel commences after December 31. I heard that the code comes out sometime in November/December and it can be used for 2016 travel.

However AARP discount will work. Once you sign up for AARP account and login, there is a special link for BA that you need to click on to get the $65 discount.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA-ex EXP, PLT, LTG, MVP-Gold, UA-Silver, SPG-LTG, PLT, HH-D, Hyatt-D,
@flyerJT - I have AARP membership , $16 plus for the year. So you are saying AA operated flights are available but on BA metal, so how does his equate to in terms of EQM earned ? would this be 1 : 1 in terms of AA : BA ?

Playing around with the BA website, I'm finding the answer to be no. Not even BA-marketed, AA-operated flights are available.

However, if you are flying in 2015, you can get a killer deal with IAH-LHR-JNB-LHR-IAH direct on BA medal. I don't have AARP membership, but I read that the 10% and the $65-off are stackable (although I cannot figure out which order they are applied). Depending on the order, it would either be $645.91 (3.09 cpm) or $652.41 (3.12 cpm).
Old Sep 22, 2015, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by rafernandes
@flyerJT - I have AARP membership , $16 plus for the year. So you are saying AA operated flights are available but on BA metal, so how does his equate to in terms of EQM earned ? would this be 1 : 1 in terms of AA : BA ?
All flights with BA flight numbers earn 100% EQMs in AAdvantage program. Same as AA flight numbers.

However this could change in 2016 if AA decides make changes to AAdvantage program.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 6:02 pm

Very nice! I'm going to try and make this work by the end of the year...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.