Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

AA: RDU-GRU $447 (12,344 miles, 3.6 cpm)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA: RDU-GRU $447 (12,344 miles, 3.6 cpm)

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2015, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, Asiana Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hogo74
Thanks OP for a great deal. I had looked at those fares yesterday morning when they were around $550, then saw your post and put one on hold for $442. I purchased it this evening.

On a US passport, I would not risk traveling without a visa, but a few years ago I traveled twice on an EU passport and did an immediate turn *without* going through Brazilian immigration and customs. Because of the EU passport, the lack of a visa obviously wasn't a problem when checking in.

I arrived at GRU in the morning and returned to MIA on the daytime flight. I had my return boarding pass printed out prior to leaving the US. Upon deplaning, I approached one of the ground staff meeting the plane, showed my return boarding pass, and asked if I could go to the departure area without going through immigration and customs. They were a bit perplexed at the situation at first - someone returning straight back to where they were coming from - but after a bit of discussion between some ground staff members, they opened the sliding glass door separating the corridor leading to immigration from the departure gate area and let me through. I later was called to the podium for some additional passport check and carry-on screening, but overall it was a fairly smooth process, and it worked twice within a few weeks.
Thanks for the report. I would still recommend any US passport holders to have a Brazilian visa. United was checking everyone's passport and/or visa on my IAH-GIG flight last July. When I inquired, the agent said that there were steep fines on the airline if they let anyone board without a visa. So, it is extremely risky to show up to your flights to Brazil without a visa. Even if you are technically right, it doesn't mean that the airline will let you board!
Old May 21, 2015, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hogo74
Thanks OP for a great deal. I had looked at those fares yesterday morning when they were around $550, then saw your post and put one on hold for $442. I purchased it this evening.
No problem. I had bought one the week before @ $650 and thought that was a good deal. Felt better after I could pick up a couple of these. What dates are you travelling if you don't mind me asking?
Old May 21, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA EXP - 1MM, BAEC BRZ, BVY GLD, Hilton DIA, Hyatt GLB
Question Transfer without going through immigration

Originally Posted by NYC1K
Brazil is set up like the US so all international flights must go through immigration and then baggage claim. You cannot get to "state side" unless you pass through immigration so there's no international section or "rest area" say to speak.
Originally Posted by Au4882
There is no in-transit area at GRU. You must clear immigration an customs before transit.
Is it really true that GRU doesn't have a transit area? I have read in another thread that there IS a transit area for those that have an international transfer.

I ask cause ive got 2 turn around trips with a 1:15 connection.

Doesn't AA operate in and out of T3? If so doesn't this new facility have a transfer area?

Thanks
Old May 21, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Kimpton IC; IHG Diamond Ambassador;
Originally Posted by KL808
Is it really true that GRU doesn't have a transit area? I have read in another thread that there IS a transit area for those that have an international transfer.

Doesn't AA operate in and out of T3? If so doesn't this new facility have a transfer area?

Thanks
I transferred the new terminal a few months ago. Was flying SCL-GRU-JFK. Arrived on LA in T3 and was forced through immigration and customs before connecting to my JFK flight.

Not all AA flights are from T3. T2 is also used quite heavily during peak hours for USA Departures. AA, DL, UA and JJ all use T2 in addition to T3.
Old May 21, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA EXP - 1MM, BAEC BRZ, BVY GLD, Hilton DIA, Hyatt GLB
Exclamation Transit Area in GRU

The post below states that there is a "international connection"

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=24566224
Read Post 14
Old May 21, 2015, 11:03 am

[

Originally Posted by KL808

Thanks
See my experiences in this earlier post. This was in 2012 and I believe is was in T2, but I'm not positive.

Originally Posted by FlyerJT
Thanks for the report. I would still recommend any US passport holders to have a Brazilian visa.So, it is extremely risky to show up to your flights to Brazil without a visa. Even if you are technically right, it doesn't mean that the airline will let you board!
I completely agree with that, my comment was more on the "is it possible to transit without going through immigration" question. I actually have both an EU and US passport and started my trip in the EU, connecting through ORD and DFW. Since I need to enter the US on the US passport that did not have a Brazilian visa, the check-in agent at the airport of origin only checked me in as far as DFW. Once I got to ORD, an Admirals Club agent was able to swap the passport information to indicate I would enter Brazil with my EU passport and checked me in for the flight to GRU. When boarding the plane, I showed my EU passport.
Old May 24, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA LT Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott LT Gold
Early this year, I was able to make a quick turn around at GRU without going through immigration. I had my onward boarding pass printed before the LAX-GRU flight. When I went to the GRU AC to ask the quickest way to go to city since I had a long layover, the AC agent found out that my Brazil visa was expired. For some reason, the agent who checked me in to the US then to Brazil missed to check the visa. Thus, I had to go to T3 from T2 via the airside walk way when I had to take the GRU-JFK flight. On a side note, Although, this thing happened, I don't recommend flying to Brazil with out a visa even with a quick return.

[QQUOTE=hogo74;24850067][

See my experiences in this earlier post. This was in 2012 and I believe is was in T2, but I'm not positive.

I completely agree with that, my comment was more on the "is it possible to transit without going through immigration" question. I actually have both an EU and US passport and started my trip in the EU, connecting through ORD and DFW. Since I need to enter the US on the US passport that did not have a Brazilian visa, the check-in agent at the airport of origin only checked me in as far as DFW. Once I got to ORD, an Admirals Club agent was able to swap the passport information to indicate I would enter Brazil with my EU passport and checked me in for the flight to GRU. When boarding the plane, I showed my EU passport.[/QUOTE]
Old May 25, 2015, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA GS, TK Gold
Originally Posted by tonykline1947
I'm travelling to GRU on 23rd and will have 15 hrs turnaround. I will try to check in and board with US passport without Brazil visa just to see what will happened. I also have valid EU passport which lets me into BRA visa free, so I'm not risking anything.

I will report back to FT.
I’m on a final stretch of nested run DFW-JFK-GRU-MIA-SFO-MIA-GRU-MIA-DFW.

AA agents at two locations, DFW D check-in and MIA AC D15, have refused to check me in without Brazilian visa in US passport after I showed then return itinerary which indicated 15 hrs. turnarounds at GRU. At GRU however, I was presented with an option to bypass immigration and proceed to international connection area after I showed my itineraries.

I stayed at Slaviero GRU. Good basic hotel with refillable shuttle service to GRU. Free breakfast was great considering the hotel price point; selection of pastries was excellent. Will be happy to answer any PMs.
Old May 25, 2015, 10:19 pm

I’m on a final stretch of nested run DFW-JFK-GRU-MIA-SFO-MIA-GRU-MIA-DFW.

AA agents at two locations, DFW D check-in and MIA AC D15, have refused to check me in without Brazilian visa in US passport after I showed then return itinerary which indicated 15 hrs. turnarounds at GRU. At GRU however, I was presented with an option to bypass immigration and proceed to international connection area after I showed my itineraries.

I stayed at Slaviero GRU. Good basic hotel with refillable shuttle service to GRU. Free breakfast was great considering the hotel price point; selection of pastries was excellent. Will be happy to answer any PMs.
Wait... you didn't have a visa but you were able to leave the airport in Sao Paulo for an overnight stay ? Was the hotel airside?
Old May 26, 2015, 2:41 am

Sorry for a confusion. I used EU passport at GRU, and the hotel is landslide. I was trying to see how much can I do with just a US passport.
Old May 26, 2015, 9:04 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Mariott Gold, AMEX Plat, US CP
Sorry for a confusion. I used EU passport at GRU, and the hotel is landslide. I was trying to see how much can I do with just a US passport.
So did you find one who would or did you end up just showing the EU passport?
Old May 26, 2015, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by william142
So did you find one who would or did you end up just showing the EU passport?
Yes, I used EU passport to get me through. Glad this exhausting trip is over now even though I flew in J except SFO-MIA segment. There is also a slight feel of regret for blowing 4 SWUs over one long weekend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.