AA: LAX-BDL-NRT-CGK $877 (~3.3cpm)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA: LAX-BDL-NRT-CGK $877 (~3.3cpm)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2015, 11:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
There's a great drive through safari that's a little out of the city if you have the time. Zebras and other animals poked their heads in my car. Was my favorite part of CGK, otherwise the city is largely uninspiring.

Quick question, which of DFW/LAX/ORD-NRT have a better history of clearing upgrades? I'm departing Wednesday, there and back, to maximize my chances. If I had to take a stab in the dark I would guess ORD is the most difficult as it's operated by a 787, this means there are fewer seats AND paid J would prefer it to the others.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:32 am

Programs: AA EXP/Exec Citi, NZ* G, Nat EE, Avis PP, HH Gold
Originally Posted by drewp123
There's a great drive through safari that's a little out of the city if you have the time. Zebras and other animals poked their heads in my car. Was my favorite part of CGK, otherwise the city is largely uninspiring.

Quick question, which of DFW/LAX/ORD-NRT have a better history of clearing upgrades? I'm departing Wednesday, there and back, to maximize my chances. If I had to take a stab in the dark I would guess ORD is the most difficult as it's operated by a 787, this means there are fewer seats AND paid J would prefer it to the others.
Another way you might want to look at it is this: which plane would you prefer to be stuck in Y in the event your upgrade doesn't clear (if you can't find one to clear at booking)? I believe the 787 is cramped with no MCE. I took the DFW-NRT flight and scored 31B in Y, it wasn't a bad experience at all.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:00 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K

I've done well out of DFW for the upgrade as well as LAX. While not a true indicator of seats sold, I use the seat map as a guide to chances for upgrades and haven't sat in coach for years.

Oh, I think the 787 business to be poor given the seats are connected and there's a lot of motion/movement when the adjacent seat passengers moves.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:27 am

I went on a nice guided tour of the city during my 18 hours at CGK. I honestly have no idea what I'm going to do the next three times I'm there [to earn EXP], because I have very little desire to spend time in the city again. I hear there are some reasonable day trips a few hours out. One of my trips probably has enough time to take a connection to Bali.

Additional recommendation for FM7 Resort Hotel for a convenient near-airport lodging. They have a free airport shuttle, although I wound up paying the $7 to take a cab for the convenience of not waiting around for it at 12:45am.

Last edited by anothernightintheairport; Nov 23, 2015 at 2:05 am
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:56 am

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
I booked 26,944EQM for $787, yielding 2.92cpm:

LAX-IAH-MIA-ORD-NRT-CGK-NRT-DFW-MIA-LAX, outbound 2/2 and inbound 2/19.

I could have squeezed a few hundred more routing through TPA, but I'm already positioning from SXM (another ~8k). I also chose southern airports, except ORD, to avoid weather issues.

Regarding JL TOD upgrades, will it give 1.5 EQM by booking into either W/E buckets?

Originally Posted by hartlogan
I believe the 787 is cramped with no MCE. I took the DFW-NRT flight and scored 31B in Y, it wasn't a bad experience at all.
I grabbed 31B too, per your suggestion. And the 787 does have MCE when I check seatguru. I believe all newer/retrofitted planes have it.

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
I've done well out of DFW for the upgrade as well as LAX.

Oh, I think the 787 business to be poor given the seats are connected and there's a lot of motion/movement when the adjacent seat passengers moves.
I had luck with ICN-DFW earlier this year and so chose it for one of the legs. Thanks for the tip on the 787 J seats, but I went ahead anyway as I've yet to fly in a dreamliner

Last edited by drewp123; Nov 23, 2015 at 2:06 am
Old Nov 23, 2015, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA,BA
I booked 26,944EQM for $787, yielding 2.92cpm:

Regarding JL TOD upgrades, will it give 1.5 EQM by booking into either W/E buckets?

It will not; if you upgrade, you will keep you original booking code

I grabbed 31B too, per your suggestion. And the 787 does have MCE when I check seatguru. I believe all newer/retrofitted planes have it.

Yes, 787s do have the MCE...leg space is good, but quite narrow seats.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by IncaTrails
Yes, 787s do have the MCE...leg space is good, but quite narrow seats.
This was what I meant. The MCE on the 787 is still in the 3-3-3 config, which means the same seat/shoulder width as Y. And width is the bigger concern to me, because if you have flexibility in booking you can generally always find a bulkhead or exit row with legroom.

I don't believe you get 1.5x EQM for the JAL counter upgrade. At least, I didn't. I believe it's the same as a sticker upgrade, which means it's not really in that upper fare class. And because I don't think you can buy a AA-codeshare flight in Premium Economy, I don't see how that would work. I think the 1.5 bonus is only for EQP, anyway.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 1:23 am

I've got a 24-hour hold for April:

April 20
SNA-ORD-BOS-NRT-SIN
CGK-NRT-DFW-SNA
23870 $671.50 2.81cpm

Looks like I'll spend some time in SIN before taking a $35 flight on TigerAir from SIN to CGK
Old Nov 25, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by nyckid
I've got a 24-hour hold for April:

April 20
SNA-ORD-BOS-NRT-SIN
CGK-NRT-DFW-SNA
23870 $671.50 2.81cpm

Looks like I'll spend some time in SIN before taking a $35 flight on TigerAir from SIN to CGK
Not sure what metal that is on or your turn-around schedule but I see similar route for $619. Using multi-city on aa.com with same sched I got $631 fare but you know they are aa flight numbers then.

(Apologies if I am screwing something up, first post. Been EP for three years on segments but likely will only be able to keep it based on miles with couple runs like this next year)

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...016-04-24;tt=m
Old Nov 25, 2015, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by badkneeski
Not sure what metal that is on or your turn-around schedule but I see similar route for $619. Using multi-city on aa.com with same sched I got $631 fare but you know they are aa flight numbers then.

(Apologies if I am screwing something up, first post. Been EP for three years on segments but likely will only be able to keep it based on miles with couple runs like this next year)

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...016-04-24;tt=m
Thanks! I tried multiple routes and see lower rates but when I go through the continue process on AA's site it goes into a loop and won't let me purchase for some reason. I'll try again. I found some flights for ~$600 routing through JFK in April. These are AA-metal but codeshares flights on JAL.

Got it to hold. Thanks. 2.59cpm at $619

Last edited by nyckid; Nov 25, 2015 at 10:28 am
Old Nov 25, 2015, 10:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond

Awesome. I live in the middle of the country and Singapore/Jakarta seems to be a cheap place for mileage run I want to do in February. My numbers are in the 3.8 cpm range, but those are flights I can use my SWUs on the Narita leg (which raises price a little).
Old Nov 25, 2015, 3:05 pm

Thanks! I tried multiple routes and see lower rates but when I go through the continue process on AA's site it goes into a loop and won't let me purchase for some reason. I'll try again. I found some flights for ~$600 routing through JFK in April. These are AA-metal but codeshares flights on JAL.

Hopefully they are JL-metal but AA-codeshare. JL flight numbers likely won't earn you 1.0 EQM.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 1:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
These fares are definitely the best MR opportunities for next year, IMO.

I did a CGK trip with six days in Bali last week and I found the airport pretty easy despite the location. I would not hesitate to do a quick turn-around here.

What's killing me is the JL metal NRT-JFK (no EVIP) and the AA ORD-NRT flight. It seems like the 787 Dreamliner is an obvious EVIP miss given the terrible Coach:Business seat ratio compared to the DFW-NRT 777 flight.

Any upgrade success on ORD-NRT or is it as bad as it looks?
Old Nov 26, 2015, 2:36 am

Doubt there's much EVIP availability on ORD-NRT, but first row in Main cabin isn't too bad.

I found a better one I have on hold.

04/13 - 04/18
http://goo.gl/flights/lt42
SNA-PHX-ORD-NRT-SIN
CGK-NRT-DFW-PHX-SNA
22953 $599 2.61cpm

Jan 20
http://goo.gl/flights/TDfv
SNA-DFW-MIA-ORD-NRT-SIN
CGK-NRT-DFW-PHX-SNA
24536 $623.00 2.54cpm
Old Nov 26, 2015, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by hartlogan
Hopefully they are JL-metal but AA-codeshare. JL flight numbers likely won't earn you 1.0 EQM.
Yes These are JL Flights with AA flight numbers 8800+. I've done a couple of these runs already and they earn you the full 1.0 EQM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.