Wiki Posts
Search

One Way: YYZ-MIA/FLL-Europe->Scandinavia - $550 CAD ish

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2015, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Hey guys,

Not sure if this is an error fare, but it seems extremely strange and cheap for one way Air Canada/Lufthansa/Swiss Air/United fares.

I needed to get to Scandinavia one way pronto and began looking for deals using ITA. I know Norwegian flies out of JFK for pretty cheap but the last minutes from Toronto to JFK or any NY airport were actually priced the same or more than JFK-OSL/ARL/CPH on Norwegian + luggage etc, coming out to over $600 one way.

I then did a radius scan from anywhere in north america to CPH/ARL/OSL and stumbled on a very weird fare from MIAMI to any of the Scandinavian capitals (Oslo, Stockholm, Copenhagen...as well as Billund and Bergen and Goteborg....but not Helsinki for some reason). Basically MIA-CPH/ARL/OSL/BLL/BGO were all about $350 CAD/$300 USD one way, either going via Toronto (MIA-YYZ-CPH on Air Canada) or Zurich (MIA-ZRH-ARL/CPH/OSL on Swiss Air) or Munich (MIA-MUC-ARL/CPH/OSL on Lufthansa).

This fare, FOR SOME REASON, only shoes up on tuesdays of every week for the next few several months. There are SOME saturdays too. But for Oslo, it shows up almost every other day.

So I started thinking, hmm, a pretty solid miles run but how do I get to Miami from Toronto? I started looking for cheap one ways from Buffalo/Niagara Falls/Toronto, even a Sunwing flight to FLL etc...they were all pretty expensive last minute. So then I decided to get creative and go to Expedia/Priceline and try doing a multi-leg search involving Air Canada. I combined 2 multi-legs: YYZ-MIA/FLL, and then MIA-CPH/OSL/ARL and got a whole bunch of variations.

Some variations are Air Canada based, which is YYZ-MIA-YYZ-CPH going to Copenhagen....that's if you wanna spend a few days in the sun, get some extra miles and then off to Denmark. Some are Lufthansa/Swissair based, and they are YYZ-MIA/FLL-MUC/ZRH-ARL/OSL/CPH/BLL/BGO etc.

Any one way out of Toronto to Scandinavia on any big airline was coming out to ridiculous amounts, but with this multi-leg combination, I paid $560 CAD for

YYZ-MIA-MUC-ARL on Air Canada + Lufthansa combination. Lots of miles + 3 days in the sun in Miami in between. Love it.

I realize this deal is not crazy insane like JFK-MXP-ASIA was early last year, but still pretty decent.

Good luck if you need to buy it. If you need screen shots, msg me and I'll post them.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K
You're right that it's very unusual to see a one-way economy fare posted by the Star Alliance.

United has posted one-way fare KXONC49S MIA-OSL with base fare $2, example a/i price $280.80 with routing MIA-IAH-EWR-OSL.

Effective 2/5, expires 10/31, Tuesdays and Saturdays only.

FOR TRAVEL ON/AFTER 29MAR15 AND ON/BEFORE 31OCT15
PERMITTED TUE/SAT.
SEASONALITY PERMITTED 05FEB15 THROUGH 31OCT15 ON THE OUTBOUND
TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR. SEASON IS BASED ON DATE OF
ORIGIN.
The fare allows end-on-end combination (wow) with certain restrictions.

END-ON-END
END-ON-END COMBINATIONS PERMITTED. VALIDATE ALL FARE
COMBINATIONS.
PROVIDED -
COMBINATIONS ARE FOR CARRIER UA/AC WITHIN AREA 1.
END-ON-END
END-ON-END COMBINATIONS NOT PERMITTED WITH
INTERNATIONAL FARES FROM/TO SIERRA LEONE/FROM/TO
GUINEA/FROM/TO LIBERIA. VALIDATE ALL FARE
COMPONENTS. SIDE TRIPS PERMITTED WITH NO
RESTRICTIONS.
END-ON-END
END-ON-END COMBINATIONS PERMITTED. VALIDATE ALL FARE
COMBINATIONS.
PROVIDED -
COMBINATIONS ARE FOR CARRIER UA/LH/LX/OS/SN/AC
WITHIN AREA 2
OR FOR CARRIER UA/LH/LX/OS/SN/AC BETWEEN AREA 2
AND AREA 3.
COMBINATIONS ARE FOR CARRIER UA/NH IN ANY RULE
FOR TRAVEL VIA THE PACIFIC.
OPEN JAWS
FARES MAY BE COMBINED ON A HALF ROUND TRIP BASIS
-TO FORM SINGLE OR DOUBLE OPEN JAWS
MILEAGE OF THE OPEN SEGMENT MUST BE EQUAL/LESS THAN
MILEAGE OF THE LONGEST FLOWN FARE COMPONENT.
PROVIDED -
WHEN THE OPEN SEGMENT OCCURS
-BETWEEN AREA 2 AND AREA 3
-WITHIN AREA 1/WITHIN AREA 2 OR WITHIN AREA 3
COMBINATIONS ARE WITH ANY FARE FOR CARRIER UA/LH/
LX/OS/SN/AC IN ANY RULE AND TARIFF.
ROUND TRIPS/CIRCLE TRIPS
FARES MAY BE COMBINED ON A HALF ROUND TRIP BASIS
-TO FORM ROUND TRIPS
-TO FORM CIRCLE TRIPS
A MAXIMUM OF TWO INTERNATIONAL FARE COMPONENTS
PERMITTED.
PROVIDED -
COMBINATIONS ARE WITH ANY FARE FOR CARRIER UA/LH/
LX/OS/SN/AC IN ANY RULE
FOR TRAVEL VIA THE ATLANTIC.
COMBINATIONS ARE WITH ANY FARE FOR CARRIER UA/NH
IN ANY RULE
FOR TRAVEL VIA THE PACIFIC.
NOTE - THE CITY PAIRS BELOW ARE CONSIDERED THE SAME
POINT -
NYC-EWR
Routing rules are typical transatlantic routings, with lots of flexibility.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
The return versions of this have been posted on a couple of the cheap travel sites. It's weird and frustrating as a Canadian to see these, but we get some of them in the other direction too. It's just a b**** to sit in Vancouver seeing YVR-HKG at well over $1200 when SFO-YVR-HKG is like $600 on sale...damn you airline pricing structures! Just makes you wanna game them a bit more, sometimes you can, sometimes you can't.

If you're in YYZ and wanting to get to MIA, just see if you can get something on SPIRIT or whatever from Buffalo or Detroit. I know Spirit has lots of flights from DET and of course a hub for them is FLL so the price/frequency probably wouldn't be too bad. Then maybe a bus to DET? or drive, or get a ride? Sometimes you have to REALLY go out of your way to do these, but the deal still works out in your favor.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Was waiting for someone to bring this up...

basically all OW hubs in the US are pricing the same, it is competition against Norwegian.

As an example, look at oneways from LAX to CPH, which are hitting under $350 in some weeks. ! Have already booked a couple myself.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 3:36 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Waiting for ST to match.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 3:40 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black

$350 cad = $280 us
Old Feb 6, 2015, 5:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
Originally Posted by FlightWhite

basically all OW hubs in the US are pricing the same, it is competition against Norwegian.

As an example, look at oneways from LAX to CPH, which are hitting under $350 in some weeks. ! Have already booked a couple myself.
Where were you able to book it? I saw a whisper of it on ITA, then it disappeared.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by FlightWhite

How do you plan to get back to LAX cheap? I have one on hold on this one.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 4:40 am

I've seen similar one-way fares ex-YYZ to DUB, since AC Rouge is competing with WS on this route (fare allows you to route via other *A hubs to avoid Rouge)
Old Feb 7, 2015, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"If you're in YYZ and wanting to get to MIA, just see if you can get something on SPIRIT or whatever from Buffalo or Detroit. I know Spirit has lots of flights from DET and of course a hub for them is FLL so the price/frequency probably wouldn't be too bad."

Southwest offers seasonal BUF-FLL nonstops, bookable at southwest.com.

Spirit flies IAG-FLL nonstop. Watch out for ancillary fees.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by mherdeg

The fare allows end-on-end combination (wow) with certain restrictions.

Routing rules are typical transatlantic routings, with lots of flexibility.
This right here folks. Nice. Very nice.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
What's the STAR fare class? Ks tend not to earn miles if LH/LX metal in MP and Aeroplan, 25% in M&M. 50% or less on SK and AC metal in most programs. And after March 1st, putting flights into MP similar low amounts of miles...not to mention if UA metal, with a $2 base fare, the mileage could be next to nothing, even for a 1K (22 RDMs albeit 8K PQMs).

Last edited by Shareholder; Feb 8, 2015 at 10:34 am
Old Feb 7, 2015, 8:31 pm

Finding a cheap one way fare to Europe is really useful now with Westjet about to start it's DUB-YYT route. Starting in May, one-way flights from DUB-YYT-YYZ/YUL will be CA$230 (~US$185)!!!
Old Feb 7, 2015, 11:57 pm

Are there any affordable *A oneways from continental Europe to Canada? (not interested in Rouge)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.