Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA: EWR-MXP $404 RT Must buy 2 tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TVSportsGuy
Yep, still there. Just pulled up Feb 9-13 and it still priced out at $404 a person.

Remember, this is for 2 or more people...single tickets will cost more.
Yeah, searching for 2 people. Finding the sub-$450 fares but only on partners. I'm guessing it's just sold out on my dates (was looking in April, where it was available earlier this morning).
Old Jan 20, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Silver
Originally Posted by lushwave
Yeah, searching for 2 people. Finding the sub-$450 fares but only on partners. I'm guessing it's just sold out on my dates (was looking in April, where it was available earlier this morning).
I'm looking at UA's website...did the flexible search for April for a 6 day trip (sorry, I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for).

Cheapest option comes up as $413 (couple of Sun-Sat trips). But almost the whole month is priced at $450 or less per person. Without going into each day/trip, I don't know if it's the nonstop option or not. But if you have a little wiggle room, it looks like there's still plenty of availability (albeit at a slightly higher price...$10-40 more)
Old Jan 21, 2015, 1:50 am

Programs: UA Gold, TK Elite, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, SW Preferred, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Etihad Gold Elite
Booked EWR-MXP 830 RT for 2, 3/21-3/29

Worked for us. 2 tix. Clearly CPM isn't liked it used to be but still getting PQM which is most important. I originally booked the flight/connection back in ZUR but canceled due to no PQM.

Easy jet has flights to Africa from MXP for $100 RT so adding it all together (albeit on separate PNR) is A GREAT DEAL.

Safe travels!!
Old Jan 21, 2015, 5:36 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by hobo13
So what happens if you ticket it, then split the reservation, then cancel one of the tickets....
Did anyone try this and did it actually work?

I'm a solo traveler. Any other solo travelers out there who want to travel with me on a quick turn around on the weekend of Jan 30?
Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:47 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Just try it. If it doesn't work,cancel within 24 hours anyway.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BlindPilot
Did anyone try this and did it actually work?

I'm a solo traveler. Any other solo travelers out there who want to travel with me on a quick turn around on the weekend of Jan 30?
I can't do it that weekend, but tempted to do it any of the weekends in February. It is a very quick turn - so having an FTer in the other aisle would be neat.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: United 1K, AA Exec P, Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Avis Pres. Club, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by aacharya
I can't do it that weekend, but tempted to do it any of the weekends in February. It is a very quick turn - so having an FTer in the other aisle would be neat.
hey-

I could do a quick turn aroundin feb on a weekend as well if you would like to split a ticket with me.

Im ok with doing a 2 for 1 on the business class ticket as well
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: UA Gold/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott Plat
I'd be up for doing a quick turn with someone if the dates line up.

Last edited by AndrewT84; Jan 21, 2015 at 11:19 am
Old Jan 21, 2015, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is probably the first UA ticket I won't be buying because of the new mileage earning rules -- and I'm even a 1K! I was looking at a long weekend in May (I don't have time then for a real vacation). They don't have the nonstop available, and the routing will be a bit of a hassle. Under the old rules, I'd earn 16,000 miles for this trip, and I would take it on a lark. Now, if I'm doing the math correctly, it would be about 4000 miles. I think I'll stay home. I doubt UA cares they're losing this business, though.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 4:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx
This is probably the first UA ticket I won't be buying because of the new mileage earning rules -- and I'm even a 1K! I was looking at a long weekend in May (I don't have time then for a real vacation). They don't have the nonstop available, and the routing will be a bit of a hassle. Under the old rules, I'd earn 16,000 miles for this trip, and I would take it on a lark. Now, if I'm doing the math correctly, it would be about 4000 miles. I think I'll stay home. I doubt UA cares they're losing this business, though.
If you're confident you'll requalify for 1K in 2015, there's no point. Stay home.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 5:03 pm

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
On Emirates, it's one PRN number for both tickets, doubt you can cancel one and have other stand.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Trying to find this on ITA to understand what base fare and taxes are. Doesn't come up with UA even though .bomb comes at $419/person.
Anyone know what base fare / tax split is?
Old Jan 21, 2015, 7:22 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by anandrag
Trying to find this on ITA to understand what base fare and taxes are. Doesn't come up with UA even though .bomb comes at $419/person.
Anyone know what base fare / tax split is?
Here's the fare split in Canadian dollars (exchange rate is currently about 81 cents). Itin is through Munich on the way there and YYZ on the way back, thus some Canadian taxes in there. Would have been an amazing fare to fuel dump!

Fare Breakdown
Airfare: 64.00 CAD
Canada Harmonized Sales Tax: 0.52
Canada Airport Improvement Fee: 4.00
U.S. Customs User Fee: 6.80
U.S. Immigration User Fee: 8.60
U.S. APHIS User Fee: 6.20
U.S. Federal Transportation Tax: 43.60
September 11th Security Fee: 6.90
Switzerland Airport Passenger/Security Charge: 26.60
Italy Security Bag Charge: 1.30
Italy Council City Tax: 9.30
Italy Embarkation Tax: 25.10
Italy Passenger Service Charge: 1.80
Italy Security Charge: 3.80
International Surcharge: 315.60
U.S. Passenger Facility Charge: 5.50
Per Person Total: 529.62 CAD
eTicket Total: 1,059.24 CAD

(As I copy this out, I notice that I was charged a Switzerland Airport tax. I was originally routed through Zurich, but the LX segment wouldn't confirm, so they changed the ticket to go through MUC instead. Does anyone know if the German security charge will be higher or lower if I were to call back to try to get the tax refunded?)
Old Jan 21, 2015, 7:42 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by DebitNM
On Emirates, it's one PRN number for both tickets, doubt you can cancel one and have other stand.
1) This is UA, not EK.

2) If you mean PNR, not PRN, well, that's why people have been talking about splitting the PNR first.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:04 pm

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
Yes, I meant PNR. And I was just commenting about EK, I know this is UA. Carry on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.