Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA:LAX-DFW-HKG-CGK-HKG-DFW-LAX $627.80/2.9 cpm

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2015, 4:26 am

Programs: UA 1.5MM 1K, AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by mikelat
Just to nit pick - CPM is usually quoted in terms of EQM and not RDM. For LAX-JFK-NRT-SIN-CGK-NRT-LAX you got 22161 EQM, right? So 7.41 CPM.
Ah, thanks for the clarification. You are correct. The lowest ticket price for this MR would have been $661, but I changed the Q fare to V fare for the return in order to go from .5 EQP to 1 EQP for EXP Challenge purposes (the reason for the mileage run in the first place).

Last edited by daberlin; Mar 24, 2015 at 4:35 am
Old Mar 24, 2015, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by zainman
How did you enrol into an EXP challenge? Existing status with DL or UA? I would do it for EXP! Also what was the fee for that challenge?

Thanks
I had existing 1K status on UAL. Called in mid January to AA and they in turn sent me an email 'offer'. I had to scan and email back a copy of my 1K card and a .jpg of my 2014 UAL Statement. EXP Objective - 25K EQP in three months. There was no fee for the EXP challenge. To my knowledge there is a fee for the Silver and Platinum Challenge. Thanks in large part to this MR I posted, I just qualified for EXP from now until the end of February 2016. AA just deposited 8 System Wide upgrades into my account. The challenge was well worth it; I've been upgraded on every flight except one so far on AA and I'm back to collecting 100% miles not UAL's lousy revenue calculation.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Just read that Indonesia is waving the $35 Visa-on-entry charge for several more countries' passport holders, including the US and Canada. As for the departure fee, doesn't everyone take U$s, though not sure one pays it on transit flights unless you actually enter the country.
Where did you read this? I certainly paid the $35 VOA (USA Passport) when I was in Jakarta three weeks ago. You pay the departure fee in IDR and only pay it if you actually enter the country.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks - was worried I had to find local currency on the spot. Will only be in transit and not leaving the airport.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold (OWS)
Originally Posted by daberlin
Where did you read this? I certainly paid the $35 VOA (USA Passport) when I was in Jakarta three weeks ago. You pay the departure fee in IDR and only pay it if you actually enter the country.
http://loyaltylobby.com/2015/03/23/i...in-april-2015/
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:34 pm

Wonderful news, thank you! The Mrs. and I are in Bali in May, and I'm thrilled to no longer have to pay this ahem, 'fee'. ^
Old Mar 25, 2015, 3:45 pm

Programs: Most....Four elite air/ Three hotel elites - UA MillionMiler - DL RWT alum
The visa on arrival may be deleted for these 30 countries, but the Rupiah 150,000 will be still payable on exit / departure for most airlines (including JAL).
Old Mar 25, 2015, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by sancann
No, my upgrade did not clear. There were over 30 EXP's on the list for about 8 spaces on the morning of. That individual leg was brutal and my back reminded me it was not happy for a couple days.

I've heard you have a better chance if you have purchased your ticket a few months out. But since I had purchased my ticket about ten days before I had no chance.
My upgrades (SWU) cleared both ways, but on the outbound from DFW to HKG, it literally cleared at boarding. The potential of a 17 hour flight in coach (even MCE) was not exciting!

I had requested the upgrade in December for a March flight. Most EXP's who had upgrades that cleared did it well in advance.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
I transited in Jakarta several times while doing MR on LH and CX, I always (without exception) had to pay the departure fee in cash even though i did not enter the country. Mind you, it's a pain in the ... to transit there and i would not do it without having ample time.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
I transited in Jakarta several times while doing MR on LH and CX, I always (without exception) had to pay the departure fee in cash even though i did not enter the country. Mind you, it's a pain in the ... to transit there and i would not do it without having ample time.
I transited in CGK as well on a MR, and had to pay the 150,000 IDR departure fee (about $10) as well even though I was only there for a few hours. I didn't find it a pain to transit there at all, as the customs officer was very nice, and I didn't have to get the visa on arrival when transiting.

I've actually been to Jakarta 3 times in the past few months, and I don't enjoy the airport or the lounges there at all, but I never had a problem transiting there.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by MarkP24
I transited in CGK as well on a MR, and had to pay the 150,000 IDR departure fee (about $10) as well even though I was only there for a few hours. I didn't find it a pain to transit there at all, as the customs officer was very nice, and I didn't have to get the visa on arrival when transiting.

I've actually been to Jakarta 3 times in the past few months, and I don't enjoy the airport or the lounges there at all, but I never had a problem transiting there.
Thanks guys. I stand corrected. My mother and father in law were originally from Jakarta and they confirmed the 150,000 IDR is required even for transit.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 3:51 pm

Doubled price of ticket for V class return for EXP challenge purposes.
congrats! Love those 8 eVIPs
Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:08 pm

Just returned from this flight combination and had to pay for the visa eventhough I had a connecting flight and was not staying in Jakarta. The fellow said we were going out of the terminal (which is necessary to connect to the next flight) and must have a visa. The price was 1,400 Bhat or $35.00 US and the change would be in the local currency. When connecting to the Cathay flight, there was a fee of $15 per ticket for the departure tax. On the ticket it is Rp. 150,000 which is actually $11.52 but for them to take US, the price was $15. Hope this helps.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 7:42 am

Yeah, this added cost is definitely something to consider for a MR. Their exchange rate at the VISA fee desk wasn't favorable, so make sure you have $35 flat (not $40 or $50 etc).

VISA fee is no longer required soon which is good and hopefully they include the departure tax in the airfare as well.

It's a great place to visit regardless (probably except the rainy season )
Old Apr 2, 2015, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Made it back on Monday evening and had the same experience in CGK - they wouldn't accept my transit from Thai to Cathay and immigration forced me to leave and come back in. Was a bit frustrating and I even got hauled into the immigration office to sort it out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.