SVO-JFK SU $386 rt. Feb/Mar

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Location: AA-Plat 7 Mil, UA-Plat 2 Mil, BA - Silv., KLM/AF- Plat, Bonvoy-Plat.

Just looking at fares w Aeroflot and there seems to be some cheap fares due to basically the collapse of the Ruble. Moscow-JFK is a base fare of $86 plus $300 taxes. Probably doesn't earn full mileage credit if any. None on Delta. Books in R class. CDG-BKK for instance is $560 rt with a N booking class. Not really mileage run worthy I think but pretty cheap.

Last edited by MileTex; Dec 16, 2014 at 1:11 pm
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:02 am

PRG to BKK was under 400 USD if you bought in Roubles....
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:16 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, Herz Gold, Regus Businessworld Gold
The question is, what will be the Russian ruble exchange rate when the credit card payment will be finally accounted for (after two - three days)...?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by burito
The question is, what will be the Russian ruble exchange rate when the credit card payment will be finally accounted for (after two - three days)...?
Doesn't matter with a non-Russian point of sale, as you capture the exchange rate at the time of booking and are quoted/billed in a consistent external currency without risk.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
in general many great fares out of Russia, even on non-russian carriers. I don't know how long it takes for the fares to be recalculated with thenew (rapidly declining) exchange rate but I wouldn't wait. As said, no risk with a foreign cc imo.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Medallion , LH Frequent Traveller , Hilton Gold , Prirority Club Platinum
Thanks to the exchange rate with the ruble all SU tickets are pretty much cheap right now , you can buy on the SU site of your country and select the currency you want to pay with .
Old Dec 16, 2014, 12:51 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Any thoughts as to how I could work this for a star alliance flight.

I tried using Lufthansa and changing the site to Russia, but it just ended up changing the currency and location to Canada anyway.

Swiss did the same. United showed me the price in Rubles but it was still super high (that said, when I changed it to Canadian the CAD price was like $300 more)

Last edited by drvannostren; Dec 16, 2014 at 12:56 pm
Old Dec 16, 2014, 1:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
AA shows a price in Rubles which at the exchange rate is a nice savings...
Old Dec 16, 2014, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by drvannostren
Any thoughts as to how I could work this for a star alliance flight.

I tried using Lufthansa and changing the site to Russia, but it just ended up changing the currency and location to Canada anyway.

Swiss did the same. United showed me the price in Rubles but it was still super high (that said, when I changed it to Canadian the CAD price was like $300 more)
Use "incognito" window (Chrome) "New Private Window" (Firefox) or "InPrivate Browsing" (Internet Explorer). Works for me (tried with Swiss and United).
*A doesn't have great fares, but I find some nice ones on Delta (equivalent of $312).
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:19 pm

Is a transit visa required for simply transitting through Moscow?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by noamaan
Is a transit visa required for simply transitting through Moscow?
No Visa required if you stay airside for 12 hours or less. Some sources say 24hours.
If changing airports, you need a Transit Visa, can be requested online https://visa.kdmid.ru/
Old Dec 16, 2014, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by jjclancy
Doesn't matter with a non-Russian point of sale, as you capture the exchange rate at the time of booking and are quoted/billed in a consistent external currency without risk.
This morning the Rouble was moving 2/USD every 15 minutes.....how exactly do you figure you are locking in some sort of exchange rate?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 3:29 pm

Be careful is all I can add to this. It moved from 66 to 58 to 79 back to 68ish....just today. Who knows what you are going to be charged at.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by largeeyes
This morning the Rouble was moving 2/USD every 15 minutes.....how exactly do you figure you are locking in some sort of exchange rate?
Visa calculates the rate based on some average rate from the day before. But it's the date that Visa receives the transaction from the merchant (which isn't always the day you used your cc) that is used. See http://usa.visa.com/personal/card-be...-rates-faq.jsp
Old Dec 16, 2014, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Ghentleman
Visa calculates the rate based on some average rate from the day before. But it's the date that Visa receives the transaction from the merchant (which isn't always the day you used your cc) that is used. See http://usa.visa.com/personal/card-be...-rates-faq.jsp
So in other words, in a day with where it goes 58 to 79 and all around, there is no telling what rate you will get.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.