Reload this Page >

AA: LAX-BKK from $797 a.i.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA: LAX-BKK from $797 a.i.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2014, 11:31 am

I called them. The problem is with the JAL flights from NRT to BKK. There's an issue with that. If you try to book any of the flights not including a JAL leg, those will work. Unfortunately they're also much more expensive. The AAgent and I tried a bunch of stuff and he ended up deducing that the discount was the result of the JAL flights publishing a deeply discounted fare which AA can actually not sell, hence the error.

Too bad, was an awesome run.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 11:39 am

Programs: TK Elite+, *A Gold, ITA Executive, SkyTeam Elite Plus, HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Wyndham Diamond
Also, JAL flights in Q only earn 30% on AA or US.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by retsamhgiht
I called them. The problem is with the JAL flights from NRT to BKK. There's an issue with that. If you try to book any of the flights not including a JAL leg, those will work. Unfortunately they're also much more expensive. The AAgent and I tried a bunch of stuff and he ended up deducing that the discount was the result of the JAL flights publishing a deeply discounted fare which AA can actually not sell, hence the error.

One thing you could try is booking through one of the international AA sites some of which use a different booking engine.

For example, if you go to www.americanairlines.de (you can set the language to English in the top right corner), LAX-NRT-BKK-NRT-LAX all with AA flight numbers 1/26 -1/29 prices out as 633 Euros (US$787) all the way up to the passenger details screen. I did not proceed further but you could try.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by finlandokie
Also, JAL flights in Q only earn 30% on AA or US.
Not if booked as an AA code.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by retsamhgiht

This in an AA fare, not a JL fare. This error comes up quite a bit. Do a search and you'll see it's been discussed before.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by SST
Aa monitors flyertalk and kills the fare. This happens reliably to Asia. Sometimes you can still book it thru travelocity or cheapoair--- but that disappears in an hour or so, too. Go!
AA doesn't kill the fare, the lowest fares just sell out. After all it is AA that has put the price there in the first place...this isn't a glitch.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 9:02 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by Shareholder
AA doesn't kill the fare, the lowest fares just sell out. After all it is AA that has put the price there in the first place...this isn't a glitch.
Re: glitch

Then why does the U.S. site often have an "this flight is no longer available" error but the .de site allows you to book the identical itn?
Old Nov 29, 2014, 1:15 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by tkelvin69

Then why does the U.S. site often have an "this flight is no longer available" error but the .de site allows you to book the identical itn?
I think it had something to do with JL pulling the fare from AA. I was having a slight problem booking because of the return leg being so close connecting. I fixed this by booking that leg as JL. It only cost $3,- more. Total cost for the flight was $899,- a/i, which is (just under 6 CPM for MR purposes) still a great deal IMHO since I'm leaving next weekend.

P.S. Everything was booked as an AA flight or AA (operated by JL) except the return leg BKK to NRT, which was booked in code S (50% instead of 100%, but who cares at this point).
Old Nov 29, 2014, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by tkelvin69

This is a well known and well documented system problem which has existed for over a year. I circumvent it by using the Hong Kong AA site.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 9:26 am
uxb

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
This is a well known and well documented system problem which has existed for over a year. I circumvent it by using the Hong Kong AA site.
Wow. Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to look into using that the next time, but I'm less certain that I would've gotten a cheaper fare given my travel dates.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 2:44 am

Programs: QF WP, QR GOLD, TK GOLD, EY GOLD, AF/KLM GOLD
Is there any routing that would earn 30,000 miles?
Old Dec 3, 2014, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by zainman
Is there any routing that would earn 30,000 miles?
No, the routing I posted is about the max.
Routing Details

Search: Departing LAX on 02/01/15 for BKK
Fare basis code QLX7F8N1
Flying AA
Routing via Pacific
V FARE BASIS BK FARE TRAVEL-TICKET AP MINMAX RTG
1 QLX7F8N1 Q‡R 236.00 T31DE 7/3 3/ 6M PA01
PASSENGER TYPE-ADT AUTO PRICE-YES
FROM-LAX TO-BKK CXR-AA TVL-01FEB15 RULE-PA05 IPRP/3
FARE BASIS-QLX7F8N1 SPECIAL FARE DIS-E VENDOR-ATP
FARE TYPE-XPN RT-INSTANT PURCHASE NONREFUNDABLE-TYPE FARES
USD 236.00 MPM E24SEP14 D-INFINITY FC-QLX7F8N1 FN-25
SYSTEM DATES - CREATED 23SEP14/1028 EXPIRES INFINITY

PUBLISHED RTG LAX-BKK/AA EF-24SEP14 DIS-INDEF

/VIA THE PACIFIC/ MPM 9907
MILEAGE SYSTEM APPLIES BETWEEN ORIGIN AND DESTINATION
MILEAGE SYSTEM APPLIES ORIGIN TO DESTINATION
TICKETED POINT DEDUCTION OF 800 MILES APPLIES
WHEN TRAVEL IS VIA HNL
TICKETED POINT DEDUCTION OF 300 MILES APPLIES
WHEN TRAVEL IS VIA LAX
Old Dec 3, 2014, 11:51 am
uxb

Originally Posted by skunker
I think RJ flies from BKK back to AMM. That may help the OP make up some of the gap.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 2:21 am

Programs: QF WP, QR GOLD, TK GOLD, EY GOLD, AF/KLM GOLD
Originally Posted by skunker
Thanks for your response skunker. Thinking about doing a US airways Chairman preferred challenge to get to 30,000 flown miles quickly with minimum flights. Thinking of booking a flight with the routing you proposed and adding a LAX-DCA-LAX mileage run to make up the difference.

Any tips on if there could be a better way to hit the 30k target? Should I be looking at shorter flights on US airways metal rather than AA to increase my chances of upgrades etc?
Old Dec 4, 2014, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zainman
Thanks for your response skunker. Thinking about doing a US airways Chairman preferred challenge to get to 30,000 flown miles quickly with minimum flights. Thinking of booking a flight with the routing you proposed and adding a LAX-DCA-LAX mileage run to make up the difference.

Any tips on if there could be a better way to hit the 30k target? Should I be looking at shorter flights on US airways metal rather than AA to increase my chances of upgrades etc?
The JL operated NRT-BKK-NRT legs in the routing posted by skunker wouldn't count towards the challenge, only US/AA operated flights do. If you can route DFW-HKG-BKK rather than DFW-NRT-BKK, you'd get more challenge qualifying miles, but still not enough to make up the rest with a single LAX-DCA-LAX run (LAX-DCA-DFW-HKG-[BKK]-HKG-DFW-DCA-LAX is 23,251 miles excluding HKG-BKK-HKG, and watch out to avoid the same flight number for DCA-DFW and DFW-HKG otherwise you'd only get the DCA-HKG mileage rather than the DCA-DFW and DFW-HKG mileage). DFW-HKG would be a long flight in coach, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.