Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

Ua: Sfo-icn-gum-hnl-lax-sfo ($757.20/14,522)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ua: Sfo-icn-gum-hnl-lax-sfo ($757.20/14,522)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2014, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Great find -- particularly whatever it is that makes UA's system parse it as a domestic one-way for upgrades. This also works out SFO-HNL-GUM-ICN-SFO, for those who want to take the old and busted 777 domestic-ish F seats on the way there, then sleep on the lay-flat BF seats on the way back. I booked it, successfully upgraded it with miles, but ended up canceling as I wasn't able to make it work with my schedule.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by staeiou
This also works out SFO-HNL-GUM-ICN-SFO, for those who want to take the old and busted 777 domestic-ish F seats on the way there, then sleep on the lay-flat BF seats on the way back.
I wish I had thought of this, since I'd appreciate the BF seat much more on the way back. On the bright side, I don't have to clear Immigration/Customs on the way back. Get off the plane and head straight to work.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by staeiou
Great find -- particularly whatever it is that makes UA's system parse it as a domestic one-way for upgrades. This also works out SFO-HNL-GUM-ICN-SFO, for those who want to take the old and busted 777 domestic-ish F seats on the way there, then sleep on the lay-flat BF seats on the way back. I booked it, successfully upgraded it with miles, but ended up canceling as I wasn't able to make it work with my schedule.
Don't understand how system can see this as domestic. Asked for upgrade options in GUM for GUM-HNL-IAH-LGA and was quoted same 30k + $600. Annoying but good for you to get it!
Old Nov 2, 2014, 11:41 pm

What dates are people finding? Using ita and google best I get is 1200 ish
Old Nov 3, 2014, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by anandrag
I did something kind of similar last week: EWR-NRT-GUM-MNL-GUM-HNL-IAH-LGA but wasn't offered anything as sweet as 20k +$75!! I was told 30k+$600 each way. Don't understand why so different
Your route is neither a circle nor a loop because you go through GUM twice. If you have a route like EWR-NRT-GUM-HNL-IAH-LGA/EWR, your upgrade will not cost that much.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Your route is neither a circle nor a loop because you go through GUM twice. If you have a route like EWR-NRT-GUM-HNL-IAH-LGA/EWR, your upgrade will not cost that much.
OK understand. Unfortunately I had to be in MNL so had to go via GUM both ways. No other option. Still wonder why wasn't offered cheaper option on return for just GUM-HNL-IAH-LGA
Old Nov 3, 2014, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by anandrag
OK understand. Unfortunately I had to be in MNL so had to go via GUM both ways. No other option. Still wonder why wasn't offered cheaper option on return for just GUM-HNL-IAH-LGA
That is international one-way upgrade although GUM is part of USA. GUM-HNL requires a GPU with W fare. My RPU does not work on this segment if I have a circle/loop route. But miles +copay work for all segments. UA computer programers forgot to make a simple check (if a segment requires W fare for upgrade). lol.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 5:20 pm

I have a newbie question on this itinerary, specifically what counts toward PQD.

The situation
I bought a ticket on this UA route, or close to it: LAX-SFO-ICN outbound, the reverse for return. I bought the ticket last week and leave next week. All in, the fare was about 840$. When I booked it, the itinerary said that it was approx. 735 fare + 105 taxes, which was fine. When I received the email with ticketing information, however, it says the breakdown between fare and fees is rather different, something like 50% each-- 420 fare and 420 in fees& taxes.

What actually counts toward the PQDs? I called United and the rep I spoke with couldn't tell me what amount actually counted toward my PQDs for next year. I need to spend about 1k before the end of the year still and thought I would get about 700 of that on this ticket. Now I am not so sure since the domestic flights I have had this year have credited PQDs based on my base fare.

Thoughts?

EDIT:
I called United back and spoke with a different representative, who explained that a 300$ international charge that is levied by United (and thus stays with United) also counts toward the PQDs. It's called a YQ fee, the rep said. With that, everything lines up with what I thought I was buying initially. Thanks, all.

Last edited by tvrec; Nov 3, 2014 at 5:44 pm Reason: called united again
Old Nov 5, 2014, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM.
Originally Posted by Kmxu
That is international one-way upgrade although GUM is part of USA. GUM-HNL requires a GPU with W fare. My RPU does not work on this segment if I have a circle/loop route. But miles +copay work for all segments. UA computer programers forgot to make a simple check (if a segment requires W fare for upgrade). lol.
Maybe the programmers fixed it.

I would jump on those flights for a low miles+co-pay upgrade (for the PQMs). Can anyone give an example for dates/flights. I can't make that work either.

Thanks!
Old Nov 6, 2014, 3:36 am

just booked ewr-iad-nrt-icn-gum-hnl-iah-ewr for $970 1118 to 1120
was able to use 1 rpu and upgraded ewr-iad, icn-gum, hnl-iah-ewr segments
Old Nov 6, 2014, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Just finished the trip this morning. Having BF/First the entire way definitely makes this trip more bearable. It would have been an extremely long 48 hours otherwise.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by kryshakm
Just finished the trip this morning. Having BF/First the entire way definitely makes this trip more bearable. It would have been an extremely long 48 hours otherwise.
Lucky you! I had to do it in coach a few weeks ago!
Old Nov 15, 2014, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Deal still exists. I just booked another due to a work trip being cancelled. Not too many dates left at the original price, but there are some $800+ fares available in December.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 10:29 pm

My upgrade cost is $5926 haha. Pass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.