Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

AA: ORD-DFW-HKG-CGK (Jakarta) r/t ~$920 in Sept/Oct (4.2 cpm)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2014, 9:00 am

MCI-DFW-HKG-CGK-NRT-ICN-DFW-MCI is over PLAT challange according to AAdvantage customer service rep. But she says she cannot confirm that the CX flight HKG-CGK will earn elite points. She told me that her screen only shows operating carrier flight numbers, not AA code share numbers. I was told CX flights do not earn elite points. Normal reservation agent sees AA code share and says it will earn elite points. What has been others experience with CX flights using AA code share to book? $968 Nov 18-25.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 9:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Emirates
As long as it has an AA flight number u r good 2 go

ANY fare basis on that route will get you at least 10k EQP's & at least 20k RDM's

Last edited by EKinBigD; Sep 24, 2014 at 9:19 am
Old Sep 24, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum, AA million miler, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver
JL versus AA metal - ORD-NRT / NRT - LAX

I found a routing LAX-DFW-ORD-NRT-CGK--NRT-LAX that gets be back just in time for Thanksgiving.

Any thoughts on taking the JL or AA 777 on the ORD - NRT and NRT - LAX routing? Which is better? I will be in Y class. I am AA Gold, but it appears that the main cabin extra is not available on that AA 777.

Also, am I able to use the Admirals Club at NRT if I am flying on JL metal? I have the AA executive credit card.

Thanks.

David
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver
Originally Posted by go4bal
I found a routing LAX-DFW-ORD-NRT-CGK--NRT-LAX that gets be back just in time for Thanksgiving.

Any thoughts on taking the JL or AA 777 on the ORD - NRT and NRT - LAX routing? Which is better? I will be in Y class. I am AA Gold, but it appears that the main cabin extra is not available on that AA 777.

Also, am I able to use the Admirals Club at NRT if I am flying on JL metal? I have the AA executive credit card.

Thanks.

David
Yes - as I am on that same routing (origin ORD) and studied this for many days before making it a go next week. The AA ORD-NRT codeshare segments on JL metal are very heavily booked as compared to the AA metal segments. However, and this is important, the lack of MCE on the 777-200 is worrisome. I am also booked in Y.

I just flew an identically configured 777-200 without MCE from MIA-LAX as a 'test drive' and actually could not believe the small seat pitch (exit row/bulkhead is an obvious choice here). The JL 777-300 has a premium economy section but not sure you would qualify as Gold.

In the end my decision was based on price - the AA codeshare segments on JL did not price the same as AA metal (significantly higher, +$300). Plus I have a very small shot at an upgrade on AA. Have a great trip!
Old Sep 29, 2014, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by mmthomas44
MCI-DFW-HKG-CGK-NRT-ICN-DFW-MCI is over PLAT challange according to AAdvantage customer service rep. But she says she cannot confirm that the CX flight HKG-CGK will earn elite points. She told me that her screen only shows operating carrier flight numbers, not AA code share numbers. I was told CX flights do not earn elite points. Normal reservation agent sees AA code share and says it will earn elite points. What has been others experience with CX flights using AA code share to book? $968 Nov 18-25.
As said above, if it has AA flight number, you'll earn EQM/EQP.

As far as a challenge goes, it has to be AA metal (not codeshare) if I remember correctly.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by go4bal

Thanks.

David

Yes, as it is actually an Admiral's club as opposed to a contracted lounge, you can use the club if you have the World Elite Mastercard that grants Admiral's club access.

I would take the AA 777 if you can grab 31A, B, H, or J. I flew NRT-DFW on the 772 and those are really the only Y rows I would want.

You do not get Premium Economy on JAL regardless of your AA status.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by offtheglass
As far as a challenge goes, it has to be AA metal (not codeshare) if I remember correctly.
Nope, it doesn't matter who's metal it's on. As long as it's AA, US, BA, IB, AY, QF or JL marketed, it's OK for the challenge.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by offtheglass
As said above, if it has AA flight number, you'll earn EQM/EQP.

According to http://www.flyerguide.com/Challenge_(AA)

UPDATE: As of February 2014, US flights as well as flights marketed and operated by certain partners will also be eligible to earn points that count toward the completion of a Challenge: British Airways, Iberia, Japan Airlines and Qantas. (Cathay Pacific is notably missing.) The specific language from the challenge confirmation says "And now you have more opportunities to complete your Challenge because points earned on qualifying flights on American Airlines, American Eagle, the AmericanConnection® carrier, British Airways, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas and their eligible codeshare flights count toward your Challenge."
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by usmsbow
That is only available in designated places in Indonesia. I don't believe Jakarta is one of them. I've only flown into Surabaya and I know you cannot get one there. According to this link, only two places in indo have it: http://www.east-indonesia.info/plann...rmalities.html
The list of airports on the Chicago consulate includes CGK:

7. Soekarno-Hatta (in the Special Region of the Capital City of Jakarta)

This was also confirmed by the Toronto consulate.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 12:23 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, former AA EXP, AS Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Plat.
... delete
Old Oct 1, 2014, 4:31 pm

Cheaper 7 day visas for $15 are now only available to those only visiting the Riau islands of Batam and Bintan!
Old Oct 1, 2014, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ericgdukie44

You do not get Premium Economy on JAL regardless of your AA status.
Unfortunately not but it may be available for a fee. $200 on my CGK-NRT leg and I found this money well spent. The seats are quite comfy and the service reminded me of Ambassador class of an airline gone by.

Side note: This trip was my first on JL and I was quite impressed. From the opening ceremony at the ticket counter (yes, there's like a 30 sec ceremony, ending with the ringing of a bell) to the sparkling clean (and i mean clean) lavs for the duration of the flight!
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Jakarta Hotels

For those of you who have done this trip or researched the hotels, what is a good hotel option for a 2-3 days stay?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by aktchi
For those of you who have done this trip or researched the hotels, what is a good hotel option for a 2-3 days stay?
I am planning on this one

http://www.booking.com/hotel/id/alil...rta.en-us.html
Old Oct 4, 2014, 7:56 am

Programs: AA EXP

I'm going in November, but hopping a quick flight to Bali for two nights 21-23 to make it an even more enjoyable mileage fun run. anyone else going? I did TPA-DFW-HKG (overnight) -CGK (Bali in air Asia) then CGK-HKG-DFW-LAX for thanksgiving ai $1078. Bit brutal, but took care of my exp miles and got me to Bali and LA!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.