Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

9K: STL⇄MWA €6,58/€6,69 ($9) 1.8 cpm (500 mile minimum)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

9K: STL⇄MWA €6,58/€6,69 ($9) 1.8 cpm (500 mile minimum)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2014, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: SkyTeam Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Where are you based, brumbrum?

Almost all Dutch "Pinpas" cards are Maestro cards. (They may even all be Maestro cards, as I don't know of any Dutch bank that issues cards that are NOT Maestro). The system is almost as ubiquitous in Germany. In Europe, Belgium, Poland, Austria, Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, and the UK all issue Maestro cards. The old Laser card system in Ireland that was discontinued earlier this year was also a Maestro system.

Exactly. There is no point reasoning with this guy; he thinks he is right although facts and the law say different...
Old Jul 29, 2014, 5:15 am

Programs: KLM, UA, Emirates, Marriotts
Originally Posted by brumbrum
Maestro is NOT widely used anywhere.
You are funny - I have 4 of them in my wallet from my 4 bank accounts (BE+NL)

It is good to be a bit sceptic when prices are this low, but as a system of payment, there is absolutely nothing wrong or scammy about Maestro. You might not get the same customer protection as with a credit card, but hell in this case we are talking about $10.

And I have never heard of anyone getting their Maestro blocked by paying on these websites, though I guess there is a first for everything.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:11 am

BK: everything legal is fine? Sorry, my opinion is different, and I use my own brain, like on this example. I enjoyed these sites enough, as will you after buying few tickets and realizing the block. Just wanted to tell the folks here that it's not so easy and fair as it looks.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
If each and every one of the booking sites you mentioned have "blocked your card/name", then perhaps you are doing something wrong at the booking stage.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:38 am

I think you can credit these to AS for RDM only. Beyond that, is there a use for the miles? I don't think Cape Air has a loyalty program of its own

I'll tell you this - I wish they'd start flying PWM-BOS. I think they do BGR-BOS now and I'd love to check my bags and park for $13 at PWM, rather than driving 2 hrs to BOS.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:02 am

If each and every one of the booking sites you mentioned have "blocked your card/name", then perhaps you are doing something wrong at the booking stage.
All these sites have (surprisingly) 1-2 owners together. They only try to look like separate sites to look even more cheaper between their own pages. Easier than to have one trustful site. They're starting by blocking cards, after more cards being blocked they simply block the name. People are also reporting e-mails about "suspicion that they buy the tickets (issued with their names) for commercial purposes" and therefore they're blocked.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: SkyTeam Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
All these sites have (surprisingly) 1-2 owners together. They only try to look like separate sites to look even more cheaper between their own pages. Easier than to have one trustful site. They're starting by blocking cards, after more cards being blocked they simply block the name. People are also reporting e-mails about "suspicion that they buy the tickets (issued with their names) for commercial purposes" and therefore they're blocked.
So even if this was true, the message should be: enjoy it while you can, then move on. No harm no foul.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Here are the sites you mentioned earlier:

These scam sites (opodo, edreams, govolo, tripsta, bravofly, rumbo and many more)
Opodo, Edreams, and GoVolo are brands that are now all owned by eDreams Odigeo, based in Barcelona, and Europe's largest travel agency. Opodo was initially formed by a consortium of European airlines, and was later sold to Amadeus. The brands have been consolidated over the years by mergers and acquisitions: Europe's online travel market is still far more fragmented than, say that of North America.

http://www.edreamsodigeo.com/our-brands/

Tripsta is a brand owned and operated by Greek-based travel agency TravelPlanet24.

http://www.travelplanet24.com

Bravofly Rumbo is a Swiss-based travel agency

http://www.bravoflyrumbogroup.com

If these 3 companies are all connected/owned by the "same 1-2 owners" I can find no such evidence. And what does it matter?

Personally, I have used opodo (various country versions for over 10 years) and tripsta (various country versions) many times, without any difficulty, trouble, or problems, and your characterisation of all these brands and agencies as "scammers" is completely inaccurate.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Maestro is NOT widely used anywhere.
Maestro is one of the most widely used back end processing standards/companies in the world. Over 12 million merchants globally use terminals that will accept Maestro.

These scam sites (opodo, edreams, govolo, tripsta, bravofly, rumbo and many more) and their own aggregators (exbir/skycheck, jetcost) are simply advertising prices, which cannot be achieved. Sometimes you can achieve them with any very obscure card (the types are constantly changing), but even in this case these scammers let you buy some two tickets and then your card/name is blocked with no more possible purchases on all these sites.
uh-huh.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:10 pm
Suspended

Got *anything* to back up that claim?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:12 pm
Suspended

What use are Cape Air miles to European fliers?

Or do people genuinely want to see St Louis and Williamson County?
Cape Air credits to AA.

ETA: Opps, no it doesn't.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by BobKop
2. I have used some of them (Bravofly, Opodo) before with the low rates and had no problem; taxes did not have to be paid at the airport (ridiculous statement). when checking in the airliner shows the normal price, so nobody will ever come after you for any money later.
Actually, you might want to read the US DOT regs before you call something ridiculous. If the OTA is paying the taxes and eating those costs then the taxes are paid. If the taxes aren't paid then they could ask for them, IF they notified prior to purchase that changes in fees and taxes are possible.
§ 399.88 Prohibition on post-purchase
price increase.
(a) It is an unfair and deceptive
practice within the meaning of 49 U.S.C.
41712 for any seller of scheduled air
transportation within, to or from the
United States, or of a tour (i.e., a
combination of air transportation and
ground or cruise accommodations), or
tour component (e.g., a hotel stay) that
includes scheduled air transportation
within, to or from the United States, to
increase the price of that air
transportation, tour or tour component
to a consumer, including but not limited
to an increase in the price of the seat,
an increase in the price for the carriage
of passenger baggage, or an increase in
an applicable fuel surcharge, after the
air transportation has been purchased
by the consumer, except in the case of
an increase in a government-imposed
tax or fee.
A purchase is deemed to have
occurred when the full amount agreed
upon has been paid by the consumer.

Last edited by skunker; Jul 30, 2014 at 10:47 am
Old Jul 31, 2014, 1:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Trust me the OTAs issue the tickets correctly and eat the difference internally as marketing costs. So besides the above example, there can be a few bargains made booking short trips. For example I booked a domestic Indian segment for 23€ instead for 53 on fluege.de
The same flight is still available for 31€ less than list price for a random date in October: https://www.kayak.de/flights/BOM-CCU...26-2h-flexible

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.