UA R: IAH-HKG this weekend -$1033

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2014, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler,Hyatt-Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson, National-Exec.

Found a r/t from IAH-HKG leaving Fri. 5/9 return 5/11. total including taxes $1033 on UA website.
Old May 6, 2014, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you refer to "R" booking class, e.g. upgrade to business class for $1033 a.i.?
Old May 6, 2014, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler,Hyatt-Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson, National-Exec.
R is MR

Sorry meant to say MR.

Still a decent fare for alomst 19K miles and as 1K, I will double that!
Old May 6, 2014, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓

Sorry, but not a MR material.

5.2 CPM is too high...
Old May 6, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: 1K
Anything else out of IAH? Have a free weekend for once!
Old May 6, 2014, 5:32 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador, Marriott Gold
ITA doesn't pull it up but UA site does. Looks like there's a 56 min connection in HNL and 40 min connection in GUM. So if you miss either of those, will be fun :P
Old May 6, 2014, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by Rusdude
ITA doesn't pull it up but UA site does. Looks like there's a 56 min connection in HNL and 40 min connection in GUM. So if you miss either of those, will be fun :P
^ If I had the time, I wouldn't mind a forced layover on a tropic island...
Old May 6, 2014, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by downhillcrasher
IRROPS=Opportunities!
Old May 7, 2014, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by downhillcrasher
Originally Posted by BumpMe!
IRROPS=Opportunities!
+1

Especially seeing as how United NEVER lets you have a stopover in GUM on most flights you connect through, it would be quite nice to be "forced" to stay there for a day/night ^
Old May 7, 2014, 6:08 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by garykung
Sorry, but not a MR material.

5.2 CPM is too high...
That's traditionally true, but sometimes for a last-minute deal it's nice to know about a bargain like this - doubly so in the age of PQD. YMMV, of course.
Old May 7, 2014, 6:40 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by TheHolyCobra
+1

Especially seeing as how United NEVER lets you have a stopover in GUM on most flights you connect through, it would be quite nice to be "forced" to stay there for a day/night ^
I heard that they would sometimes hold the flight in GUM to wait for the late incoming connecting flight. So there is not much of a chance!
Old May 7, 2014, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lax2010
I heard that they would sometimes hold the flight in GUM to wait for the late incoming connecting flight. So there is not much of a chance!
If it happens, it's a nice add-on bennie, so the tight connections mentioned should not be a distraction in this case, as they usually might be. But, I agree the MR per se has to make sense in the first place.
Old May 8, 2014, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Rusdude
Don't worry.

In most of the case, the same aircraft for UA 201 IAH-HNL will continue to UA 201 HNL-GUM. Also, when HNL-GUM is delayed, a ground stop will be put for all departing GUM flights so that everyone can make it.

This means delay, but no IRROPS.

Originally Posted by discoverCSG
That's traditionally true, but sometimes for a last-minute deal it's nice to know about a bargain like this - doubly so in the age of PQD. YMMV, of course.
Setting aside all mistake fares, there are always last-minute MR that is less than 5 CPM.

I stand correct.
Old May 8, 2014, 12:49 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by garykung
In most of the case, the same aircraft for UA 201 IAH-HNL will continue to UA 201 HNL-GUM. Also, when HNL-GUM is delayed, a ground stop will be put for all departing GUM flights so that everyone can make it.
Maybe it's different now, but year and a half ago it was the SFO-HNL that continued to GUM, and a $10 meal voucher with arrival at hotel when it's dark and 12 noon departure for airport does not give you much time in Waikiki

And of course our plane was late the next day, though they did hold the 737 in GUM.

Oh, and before we left IAH, they told us that "THEY WILL HOLD GUM PLANE FOR US"

But I'm sure the new "Flier Friendly" United is better now
Old May 8, 2014, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Maybe it's different now, but year and a half ago it was the SFO-HNL that continued to GUM, and a $10 meal voucher with arrival at hotel when it's dark and 12 noon departure for airport does not give you much time in Waikiki

And of course our plane was late the next day, though they did hold the 737 in GUM.

Oh, and before we left IAH, they told us that "THEY WILL HOLD GUM PLANE FOR US"

But I'm sure the new "Flier Friendly" United is better now
It is difficult to know where exactly the HNL-GUM flights are being continued from nowadays.

But UA has to hold all GUM flights, as not all GUM flights have a 7-day schedule.

Like UA 179/180 GUM-HKG, it runs on Sundays, Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays (IIRC). So do you really think this friendly airline will give you hotel for 2 nights, meal vouchers, possible compensations, and/or rebooking to partners (like BR's GUM-TPE-HKG or UA's GUM-NRT and NH's NRT-HKG)?

Holding the flights, in this case, is the most economical.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.