AA/US: PIT-LAX Feb 22-24/25 $238 RT 5.5 CPM minimum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2014, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BA Bronze, A3 Silver, TK Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Executive, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, M Plat

AA is running a long weekend PIT-LAX. As a straight mileage deal, it's good for 5.5CPM on the direct flights outbound and inbound. However, with the US Airways promotion (50% bonus when crediting to US but flying AA metal) you could increase the miles from 4260 to 6,390. If you add stops for a little bit more (DFW on the return) you could reach 6,880 or a CPM of 3.45CPM. If you are an elite, this could be an extremely lucrative weekend trip.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP
These are not EQM earned via the crediting to US DM, so its a little misleading to say not for elites.

In fact, a US divident miles CP would get a 100% mileage bonus plus the 50%, so they'd get a better deal still.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 8:51 pm

Programs: I miss US Airways
^^ Nice find out of PIT. From time to time SFO fares get this low but haven't seen it yet in 2014.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BA Bronze, A3 Silver, TK Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Executive, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, M Plat
Originally Posted by FlightWhite
These are not EQM earned via the crediting to US DM, so its a little misleading to say not for elites.

In fact, a US divident miles CP would get a 100% mileage bonus plus the 50%, so they'd get a better deal still.
Flightwhite - Maybe I should have clarified in the title. I was trying to convey that even without elite status, (simply crediting to US but flying AA) on this fare you could achieve a very good CPM for RDM miles. Though we are both EXPs on AA, some mileage runners may be interested just in the miles and not necessarily the status like we are.

I could not agree more with you regarding the bonus being even better for US CPs. Total mileage would be 11,460 if they can swing a connection in DFW both ways (I could only find one way connecting for $11 more but I didn't look very hard) and get to 2.07CPM.

I personally dislike posts that only pass on great CPMs when you have specific elite status with that carrier. I would rather assume it's for a non-elite and if an elite receives an extra bonus it's that much better for them.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold SPG Gold HHonors Gold
is this available on a same day turn or with just one night in LA?

Can't find it on the matrix
Old Feb 13, 2014, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG, FB Gold
Originally Posted by kstewart10
I personally dislike posts that only pass on great CPMs when you have specific elite status with that carrier. I would rather assume it's for a non-elite and if an elite receives an extra bonus it's that much better for them.
It is the time-honored convention in this forum to post CPM figures that are calculated only against EQMs, not total RDMs, regardless of whether available to elites or earned by promotional offers such as you cite here. Also not to post CPMs in thread titles at all, per the Welcome to the Mileage Run Forum sticky. You should review this.

Within one's post, it is cents per EQM that moderator BiziBB is referring to as "normal cents per mile amount" in his post under the Welcome sticky.

I imagine you probably "dislike posts that only pass on great CPMs when you have specific elite status with that carrier" because they violate this practice. Unfortunately, your citing 3.45 cpm in the thread title itself introduces just this sort of confusion -- contrary to what I believe you were trying to accomplish.

Mileage runners want to know how many cents a given fare will cost them per EQM. They can figure out their own "cents per RDM" -- if that matters to them. It usually doesn't: most do MRs to attain status (EQMs), not to rack up RDMs.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rdrnnr
It is the time-honored convention in this forum to post CPM figures that are calculated only against EQMs, not total RDMs, regardless of whether available to elites or earned by promotional offers such as you cite here. Also not to post CPMs in thread titles at all, per the Welcome to the Mileage Run Forum sticky. You should review this.

Within one's post, it is cents per EQM that moderator BiziBB is referring to as "normal cents per mile amount" in his post under the Welcome sticky.

I imagine you probably "dislike posts that only pass on great CPMs when you have specific elite status with that carrier" because they violate this practice. Unfortunately, your citing 3.45 cpm in the thread title itself introduces just this sort of confusion -- contrary to what I believe you were trying to accomplish.

Mileage runners want to know how many cents a given fare will cost them per EQM. They can figure out their own "cents per RDM" -- if that matters to them. It usually doesn't: most do MRs to attain status (EQMs), not to rack up RDMs.
I guess by the letter of the law, it should have been to EQMs. For that I apologize. But if the purpose is to gain EQMs and not RDMs doesn't that make it a status run and not a mileage run?
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG, FB Gold
Originally Posted by kstewart10
...doesn't that make it a status run and not a mileage run?
Just from the two words and their individual meanings, I'll give you that -- except that I don't recall ever seeing the term "status run" used anywhere on FT. Not that my 15 months or so on board make me any sort of expert: your join date predates mine by a couple years, for that matter.

I suppose you could launch a campaign to introduce it, but you'd be swimming upstream. (Here in the Northwest, that would make you a prize catch, of course.)

But my point is that communities -- like this one -- develop terminology over time, which is agreed upon by those who belong. It just makes interaction easier when those terms are used consistently -- not to mention less contentious. Most of this is covered or at least mentioned in the Welcome sticky.

Btw, you probably noticed that your 3.45 cpm figure disappeared from the thread title. I messaged the Moderators with a request that one of them edit it out. Anyone can alert the Mods by clicking the exclamation point in the red triangle under the poster's name, in the left column. They're there to keep the community -- there's that word again -- running smoothly.

Last edited by rdrnnr; Feb 14, 2014 at 11:12 am
Old Feb 14, 2014, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Fair enough

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.