UA: YYZ-HKG $864 ai RT (4.7cpm; June)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA: YYZ-HKG $864 ai RT (4.7cpm; June)

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2013, 11:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by garykung
Please be aware that it is codeshared with AC.

UA's K class may realign with AC's Tango, which is eligible for 50% only.

Hence, the cpm will increase to 5.4 cpm.

It is still a good find.
K class on Aeroplan will earn you 100% miles.

As long as it not N, G, P, E, A or O class, you're fine.
Old May 13, 2013, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
I just had one realization. On the dates I checked, the touring was YYZ-SFO-HKG with YYZ-SFO in K on AC. Tango fares on AC earn zero qualifying miles in MileagePlus. That pushes up the CPM quite a bit.

Nonetheless, a good find. Especially, if you can credit a tango fare somewhere or get UA metal for the first leg.
Old May 13, 2013, 12:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by astroflyer:20744003
I just had one realization. On the dates I checked, the touring was YYZ-SFO-HKG with YYZ-SFO in K on AC. Tango fares on AC earn zero qualifying miles in MileagePlus. That pushes up the CPM quite a bit.

Nonetheless, a good find. Especially, if you can credit a tango fare somewhere or get UA metal for the first leg.
Iirc K on AC earns 100% EQM in MP, as does TPAC Tango.
Old May 13, 2013, 12:19 pm

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by astroflyer
K is not Tango on North American routes. 100% MP accrual.
Old May 13, 2013, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F
Too bad UA doesn't fly YYZ-SFO...
Old May 13, 2013, 1:20 pm

NA flights on AC are fine if they book into K. 100% accumulation.

It's only overseas flights where K, L & T drop to 50%.
Old May 13, 2013, 8:11 pm
formerly BackSlash3

Programs: AC P25, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond AMB
Interline Mileage?

Originally Posted by rehoult

but are you talking about how Aeroplan credits K as ticketed by AC on AC metal, or how K as ticketed by UA on AC metal is credited?

Just because UA tickets it as K, and K on UA metal credits 100% to AP doesn't mean that K ticketed by UA on AC metal wouldn't map to (for instance) P.

Because it's the operating carrier fare bucket that matters for crediting but we have the least visibility of that.

Aeroplan does state that K on UA credits 100% regardless of region. http://www3.aeroplan.com/earn_miles/...Partner=United

Does anyone have any insight on what the carrier bucket is when booking UA K on AC metal?
Old May 13, 2013, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by BackSlash3
but are you talking about how Aeroplan credits K as ticketed by AC on AC metal, or how K as ticketed by UA on AC metal is credited?

Just because UA tickets it as K, and K on UA metal credits 100% to AP doesn't mean that K ticketed by UA on AC metal wouldn't map to (for instance) P.

Because it's the operating carrier fare bucket that matters for crediting but we have the least visibility of that.

Aeroplan does state that K on UA credits 100% regardless of region. http://www3.aeroplan.com/earn_miles/...Partner=United

Does anyone have any insight on what the carrier bucket is when booking UA K on AC metal?
It should map to K; AC & UA have deliberately aligned their economy fares. To my knowledge, UA doesn't have any fares that remap into NA Tango fares.

Of course with 24 hour cancellation it's easy enough to book, call AC to check and cancel if required.
Old May 13, 2013, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by kwflyer
K class on Aeroplan will earn you 100% miles.

As long as it not N, G, P, E, A or O class, you're fine.
Originally Posted by pewpew
Iirc K on AC earns 100% EQM in MP, as does TPAC Tango.
Originally Posted by TelFunku
K is not Tango on North American routes. 100% MP accrual.

If you book it with AC and the flight is operated by AC, then K earns 100%.

But if you book it with UA and the flight is operated by AC, UA's K does not necessary mean AC's K. AC will need to re-map your fare class.

Until it is confirmed re-mapping to K (for those who have booked this), I stand my original opinion that it will earn 50% for YYZ-SFO.
Old May 14, 2013, 12:55 am

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F
It seems I cannot use UA TCV voucher for an ex-YYZ itinerary on all united metal (no AC codeshare whatsoever). I don't find anywhere in T&C that requires US departure. What's wrong?
Old May 14, 2013, 1:36 am

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold

But if you book it with UA and the flight is operated by AC, UA's K does not necessary mean AC's K. AC will need to re-map your fare class.

Until it is confirmed re-mapping to K (for those who have booked this), I stand my original opinion that it will earn 50% for YYZ-SFO.
Just take a look at the AC site. AC doesn't publish Tango fares for travel between YYZ and SFO. Therefore it's extremely unlikely that a UA codeshare will book into Tango. I'd also like someone to reconfirm but I'd be shocked. I think it's pretty safe to assume 100% credit if routing via SFO (or any other markets without published Tango fares).

Of course you can book + confirm with AC as necessary. If it's Tango, cancel within 24 hours without penalty.

Plus, North American Tango gets you 0% credit to MP and 25% non-status credit to Aeroplan. The 50% only applies to AC transpacific sectors -- not your destination. If you book YYZ-YVR-NRT all on AC metal, all in Tango N/G/P/E/A-class, YYZ-YVR would get you 0% MP/25% Aeroplan and YVR-NRT would get you 100% MP / 50% Aeroplan. That is to say there's no way for you to get 50% credit on YYZ-SFO, it's either 0%/25% or 100%/100%.

Originally Posted by cloudybw
It seems I cannot use UA TCV voucher for an ex-YYZ itinerary on all united metal (no AC codeshare whatsoever). I don't find anywhere in T&C that requires US departure. What's wrong?
I've never had a voucher fail to apply for Canadian departures. Are you doing this online? If so, make sure that you haven't selected any options during the booking that would cause you to incur additional fees (such as E+ seating). When you do, you can no longer apply vouchers. Just do that after you've booked and all should be fine. If that's not it, let us know...

Last edited by arcticbull; May 14, 2013 at 1:48 am
Old May 14, 2013, 2:17 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by cloudybw
Saw this following note on a sticky thread in the CC forum:

SKIP SEAT SELECTION UNTIL YOU HAVE PROCESSED YOUR RESERVATION USING A VOUCHER

Please let us know if it is the root cause of your problem.
Old May 14, 2013, 7:37 am

Programs: FT
Just stay out of the core and its quite affordable. HR Sha Tin is wonderful and can easily be had for $100 per night; plus its ~50m from the University East Rail station.
the YMCA http://www.ymcahk.org.hk/sales/html/hst001e.htm is clean and cheap and centreally located as is the Traders (not as centreal but on the island) hotel that you can often get around 120 a night with breakfest or even the cosmo and many other places...at this time of year esp. i would not worry about the cost but the heat.
Old May 14, 2013, 9:06 am

Programs: UA MP - 1K
Originally Posted by mkjr
the YMCA http://www.ymcahk.org.hk/sales/html/hst001e.htm is clean and cheap and centreally located as is the Traders (not as centreal but on the island) hotel that you can often get around 120 a night with breakfest or even the cosmo and many other places...at this time of year esp. i would not worry about the cost but the heat.
+1 on the Traders hotel. I stay there every now and then, prices are always around 120 a night, in my eyes dirt-cheap compared to other HK hotels.....
Old May 14, 2013, 10:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Alway AVOID flying Air Canada

after you book the ticket call UA and change the routing to yyz-ord or EWR and avoid all AC metal so if your UNited flyer you get free domestic upgrades and E+ seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.