Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] AA: MSP-MAO (Manaus, Brazil) $359 rt ai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2013, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA

AA: MSP-MAO (Manaus, Brazil) $359 rt ai 4.5cpm.

Looks like the MAO fares may be back. Not a perfect MR from a cpm standpoint, but an excellent price to Brazil.

Finding dates in May -- shows up on Kayak.com (which transfers to AA.com), but not on Matrix.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 6:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Remember that Brazil requires visas for USA citizens. Check health requirements, including for any close future travel.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 6:44 am

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
Does it work from the West Coast?
Old Mar 7, 2013, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA
Looking at this again -- this is I think a bit of a retaliation against the DL fares from MIA. Try your DL hubs and check -- for example, it is available from SLC for $405 rt.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by freezefactor
Looking at this again -- this is I think a bit of a retaliation against the DL fares from MIA. Try your DL hubs and check -- for example, it is available from SLC for $405 rt.
Wow! That's an amazing fare to Brazil. Does anyone know the full scope (city pairs) involved here?
Old Mar 7, 2013, 8:54 am

Available next winter

It is also available ex MSP for next Dec. 27 at $406 round trip. Put one on hold but I am not sure the Amazon in the humid South American summer during the rainy season is somewhere I want to go. Inexpensive TAM tickets from MAO to places like Brasilia are available.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 9:59 am

$340ai -- AA DTW-MAO 4/12-13 7108 mi/4.8 cpm per ITA

Originally Posted by freezefactor
Old Mar 7, 2013, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Remember that Brazil requires visas for USA citizens. Check health requirements, including for any close future travel.
Are there specific health requirements for manaus because it's by the amazon?
Old Mar 7, 2013, 4:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan - SkyMiles - HHonors
YELLOW FEVER Vaccination

Originally Posted by kmzandrew
Are there specific health requirements for manaus because it's by the amazon?
Little known to many, unless you are a FT to BR, is that Inmigration in BR requires (and BR Consulate before issuing a Visa!), Yellow Fever Vaccination:

Quote...
If the applicant has traveled within the last 90 days to any of the Yellow Fever Countries an International Certificate of Vaccination for Yellow Fever will be required.
...un-quote.

Below, the list of countries, and as you may see (underlined) there are locations that usually you may NOT think about.

Also, if you decide to have the shot, there Certificate is ONLY valid 10 days after the shot!

Just to let everyone thinking on a BR MR, did saw some-one denied boarding due to this requirement.

Yellow Fever Countries
=================
Yellow Fever Immunization International Certificate is required only if the applicant has traveled within the last 90 days to any of the following countries: Angola, Benin, Bissau Guinea, Bolivia, Burkina Faso,
Burundi, Cape Verde, Cameroon,
Central African Republic, Colombia, Congo, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ecuador, Equatorial Guinea, Ethiopia, French
Guiana
, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guiana, Guinea, Ivory
Coast, Kenya, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger,
Nigeria, Panama, Peru, Rwanda, Sao Tome & Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sudan, Surinam, Tanzania, Togo, Trinidad and Tobago, Uganda or Venezuela.

Yellow Fever Immunization International Certificate is advisable if applicant's destination in Brazil includes any of the following States:

Acre, Amapá, Amazonas, Federal District, Goiás, Maranhăo, Mato Grosso, Mato
Grosso do Sul, Pará, Rondônia, Roraima and/or Tocantins.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 4:57 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by carlos_canada
Little known to many, unless you are a FT to BR, is that Inmigration in BR requires (and BR Consulate before issuing a Visa!), Yellow Fever Vaccination:

Quote...
If the applicant has traveled within the last 90 days to any of the Yellow Fever Countries an International Certificate of Vaccination for Yellow Fever will be required.
...un-quote.

Below, the list of countries, and as you may see (underlined) there are locations that usually you may NOT think about.

Also, if you decide to have the shot, there Certificate is ONLY valid 10 days after the shot!

Just to let everyone thinking on a BR MR, did saw some-one denied boarding due to this requirement.

Yellow Fever Countries
=================
Yellow Fever Immunization International Certificate is required only if the applicant has traveled within the last 90 days to any of the following countries: Angola, Benin, Bissau Guinea, Bolivia, Burkina Faso,
Burundi, Cape Verde, Cameroon,
Central African Republic, Colombia, Congo, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ecuador, Equatorial Guinea, Ethiopia, French
Guiana
, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guiana, Guinea, Ivory
Coast, Kenya, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger,
Nigeria, Panama, Peru, Rwanda, Sao Tome & Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sudan, Surinam, Tanzania, Togo, Trinidad and Tobago, Uganda or Venezuela.

Yellow Fever Immunization International Certificate is advisable if applicant's destination in Brazil includes any of the following States:

Acre, Amapá, Amazonas, Federal District, Goiás, Maranhăo, Mato Grosso, Mato
Grosso do Sul, Pará, Rondônia, Roraima and/or Tocantins.
No mention of any of this when I applied for multi-year Brazilian VISA last year. I wonder if they check your passport stamps for these countries while in their possession and don't say anything if you haven't been to these places in the past 90 days?

Denied boarding? I can't imagine a gate agent checking all of your passport stamps to see where you've been the last 90 days.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 6:32 pm

From the Consulate General of Brazil in New York:

As of May 2010, Brazil does not require a yellow fever International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis for entering the country.

Source: http://novayork.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/visas.xml
Old Mar 7, 2013, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by The Mileage Millionaire
Denied boarding? I can't imagine a gate agent checking all of your passport stamps to see where you've been the last 90 days.
I got denied boarding last year by Avianca trying to board an MDE-BOG domestic flight with an onward connection to El Salvador because of a lack of yellow fever certificate.

It ended up being quite a hassle.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG/Marriott Plat, WOH Diamond, IHG Plat Ambassador, HHonors Gold, jetBlue Mosaic
Flew MIA-MAO last June for the weekend on AA and there were no issues whatsoever. Nice place to visit, we did an Amazon boat tour that was really interesting and worthwhile. Never once heard any mention of yellow fever vaccinations etc... The immigration line at MAO is unusual in that its in the terminal, so you literally walk off the jetbridge into a sequestered line to clear immigration/passport control before getting bags. We stood in the line for about 15 minutes and everyone ahead of us went through without incident and I didn't notice any agents inspecting stamps or interrogating people. Not saying it couldn't happen, just that it wasn't my experience. Recommend going, will probably go bak for World Cup next summer...quick flight from MIA also.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 11:10 pm

Oddly enough, each Brazilian consulate in the US makes their own rules. So be sure to check with which ever one your part of the country is assigned to on current rules. When I got my visa in November in Atlanta, the pre-interview checklist included the requirement for Yellow Fever (I had been in Ecuador the month before). But when I showed up for the interview, the consulate official said they no longer needed to see a YF certificate. What they absolutely did require was a copy of my last bank statement.

While in Brazil I got bit by a huge tiger mosquito, despite having put on deet just ten minutes earlier. So required or not, I was glad to have had the shot.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 12:00 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1
I got denied boarding last year by Avianca trying to board an MDE-BOG domestic flight with an onward connection to El Salvador because of a lack of yellow fever certificate.

It ended up being quite a hassle.
That's surprising. I've had no issues with this in the past. For me the problem is that on this run I'm going from the EU to US to Brazil and I enter Brazil on an EU passport that doesn't have a US visa. It always takes forever for the agents to issue my ticket since they think it will be a problem for some reason.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.