Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] DL: SFO-ATL/JFK-NRT-SIN $1,232.30 ai RT (25,318 mi; 4.9 cpm)

Old Oct 24, 2015, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Wiki/How-To/FAQ: Start here if this is your first time visiting this thread
If you have done this trip please help improve the wiki!

Why would a DL SkyPesos member do this now that RDMs are earned on ticket cost?

Either for the MQMs, or to actually visit SIN FWIW there are posts in the thread about similar itineraries on AA.

How do I search for dates/prices?

One way is to use ITA Matrix. Click on "Advanced routing codes" and enter something along the lines of:
  • outbound: dl+ dtw nrt
  • inbound: dl+ nrt dtw

NOTE: Basic Economy (E) fares have been spotted on this route and come with heavy restrictions. If you want to exclude E fares from your search you can add f ~bc=e in the separate "extension codes" box

See post 1329 for some screenshots (which are now out of date, the routing codes and extension code have been split into two separate input boxes)

You may wish to experiment with things like dtw,atl or x or even x+. Read the advanced routing codes help for more ideas. (DL no longer flies JFK-NRT nonstop)

I found an itinerary that works for me, how do I book it?
  • you can try a multi-city booking on Kayak or Google Flights and click through to Delta (you can save some effort by omitting the implicit/forced connection through NRT for example)
  • if you are comfortable installing add-ons etc. you can use the ITA userscript (see the wiki at the top of that thread)
  • for the less technically-inclined there is also the Book with Matrix helper site (and its related FT thread)
  • call in if none of the above methods work or e.g. you want to add a stopover

Do I need a visa?

No visa is needed for transits (or in fact for visiting up to 90 days, subject to qualifications)
You can get your boarding passes for your Delta return flight at Transit Lounge D, which opens 3 hours before departure.

What are the best seats?

Assuming you're stuck in Y (no GUCs etc.)
Picking a seat (Delta One, Boeing 777)
Master A330-300 (A333) Best Seats Thread

Will there be wifi on the international legs?

DL now touts International Wi-Fi is available on 100% of all wide body, long-haul aircraft providing near global coverage. Given "long-haul" this may not apply to NRT-SIN.

777s should all have wifi: thread #1, thread #2; although it is still subject to coverage/availability, seems to drop out in the far northern parts of the route, and coming down the Russian coast it seemed like http was slow but working and anything else like https took forever and/or was blocked

Delta doesn't seem to sell the Gogo global day pass on their web site but you can buy it directly from Gogo. You can use the same pass on both domestic and international flights in any order as long as it is within 24 hours.

FlexPerks VISA single-flight passes can NOT be used on international flights (they do not appear as a redemption choice when you sign in to Gogo in flight)

Other related threads:

Delta 763 International Wifi Installation Progress (especially posts #7 and #9)

Delta to add Gogo WiFi to international fleet

SIN airport facilities

If you are doing a quick turn, you can remain airside the whole time. There are a number of 24-hour food outlets in the transit mall areas (center of each terminal)

Each of the 3 terminals has their Transit Hotel on Level 3. Prices are similar for all:
-Terminal 1 - Plaza Premium Lounge recently opened Aerotel. Book at: Aerotel Terminal 1
-Terminal 2 and 3 - Harilela Hospitality runs an Ambassador Transit Hotel in each Terminal, above the Orchid Garden and Movie Theater, respectively. Book at: Ambassador Transit Hotels

Note that you can actually stay in either of the 3, regardless of which Terminal you arrive in. However, when leaving the airport, you need to exit through the same Terminal as that you arrived in.

FT thread on Singapore Airport Lounges

Airport website links:
NOTE: even though the DNATA Sky View lounge lists "Delta Airlines" on the airport web page and appears on a skyteam.com lounge search, it is considered by Delta to be third-party-operated, thus if you are STE+ in Y you will not have access. People have reported gaining access on an upgrade to J but YMMV.

There is free wifi either by receiving a text message code, or by scanning your passport. Previous posts mention just giving an email address, maybe try at the info desks. There are also free Internet stations.

NOTE for U.S. and other ~110V travelers: Singapore uses 230V/50Hz. There are plenty of USB charging ports in the seating areas, and most wall adapters for electronics these days are dual voltage (look for writing on the plug like "Input: 100V-240V") but if not or if you need to plug something else in, bring plug and voltage adapters to be safe.

Things to do in SIN

In descriptions of things to see/do airside, when you see "garden" read "smoking area" especially if you won't be there during daylight, the only other main reason people go there is to smoke.

SkyTrain between terminals runs from 5am-2:30am but you can always walk between any of the terminals as well.

Little More than 24 Hours in Singapore especially post #5 in that thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25605453-post1047.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24452870-post836.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24064053-post794.html
Best practices for ~5 hour turnaround at SIN
3 perfect days in Singapore
Singapore's MRT (Mass Rapid Transit)
Destinations > Asia > Singapore FT forum
cheap transportation to Marina Bay Sands (or any hotel) for S$9

Things to do on a long connection through NRT:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24426838-post835.html

Narita Int'l. Airport (NRT) Layover & Hotel Master Thread

There is free wifi in NRT.

Returning to the US

Even if you don't have Global Entry, CBP has a Mobile Passport Control app -- see program info and app website for d/l and list of participating airports which includes ATL (but not DTW)

You will have to pick up checked bags if any, and then everyone has to go through TSA security. International connections usually have their own checkpoint but it may not have PreCheck or CLEAR. If you want to take advantage of either of these, see airport-specific info below.

Through Delta's partnership CLEAR is free for DM, $79 for other Medallions, and $99 for General Members. Click here for more info on the partnership or to sign up.

Relevant FT threads:
Returning via ATL:

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

CLEAR is now open in ATL but only at the domestic end.

For PreCheck, if you arrive in F, when you exit the hallway from customs there is a ticket desk in front of you. Normally the belt for re-checking bags on the left, and TSA screening beyond that. For PreCheck turn instead to the right (away from the drop-off luggage belt) and exit into the arrivals area, go up the escalators, and then you use the regular F terminal security checkpoint.

(It seems like NRT-ATL usually lands in E though... anyone have info to share?)

Returning via DTW:

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread

When you exit customs normally you are directed to the right for rescreening. For PreCheck or CLEAR exit to the left as if you are an local Detroit arriving passenger and you will see some escalators in front of you. Go up 3 sets of escalators (there is a security checkpoint after the 2nd set but it does not have PreCheck). There is also an elevator.

The configuration as of Jan 2017 was, CLEAR without PreCheck was near the top of the escalators. If you have both CLEAR and PreCheck, there is a separate CLEAR lane on the right.

Duty Free Liquids

This post from 2014 says liquor etc must be checked as they cannot pass through screening in NRT/TSA. However this may have changed since then, and duty-free purchases in a Sealed Tamper-Evident Bag (STEB) might be permitted:

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/secu...ection_ss.html

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...g/liquids-rule

FT: Bringing Duty-Free Liquids into USA with a Connecting Flight

If you have any experience with this, please share!

IRROPS handling:

Good at least for one DM: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21923836-post7.html

Trip Reports/Tips:

2016: Dec, Nov, Oct #1, Oct #2, Oct #3, Sep, Apr, Feb

2015: Nov #1, Nov #2, Oct, Sep

2014: Dec, Nov #1, Nov #2, Nov #3, Nov #4, Nov #5, Oct, Sep #1, Sep #2

2013: Oct
Print Wikipost

[FARE GONE] DL: SFO-ATL/JFK-NRT-SIN $1,232.30 ai RT (25,318 mi; 4.9 cpm)

Old Jun 27, 2016, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 2.6 MM
Originally Posted by Mileage Lover
For the 10/17 itinerary through MSP on the outbound, do the MQMs take into account that MSP-NRT and NRT-SIN are the same flt number and therefore don't give the aggregate miles for those 2 segments but rather MSP-SIN direct?

Some amazing SIN fares leaving from LAX and SFO!

I have 2 booked -- ZERO GUC upgrades cleared so far.
Am not sure of the answer to your question, I added up the segments to get the total used. Did you get the $650 fare? How did you book your tickets? Couldn't get much help from the DM desk, will try someone else later.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 3:24 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 2MM, HHonors Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Csfing1
Am not sure of the answer to your question, I added up the segments to get the total used. Did you get the $650 fare? How did you book your tickets? Couldn't get much help from the DM desk, will try someone else later.
Sorry for the confusion. I booked a couple of great SIN runs but not this specific one.

What I was asking about was the MQMs. Since MSP-NRT and NRT-SIN have the same flight numbers, I believe, doesn't it count as a direct flight (even though there is a change of aircraft) and provide less MQMs that the total of the 2 segments?
Old Jun 27, 2016, 3:31 pm

Sorry for the confusion. I booked a couple of great SIN runs but not this specific one.

What I was asking about was the MQMs. Since MSP-NRT and NRT-SIN have the same flight numbers, I believe, doesn't it count as a direct flight (even though there is a change of aircraft) and provide less MQMs that the total of the 2 segments?
ML, you are correct.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

u
Originally Posted by Dalat767
ML, you are correct.
That would be another reason to book ATL DTW NRT SIN outbound as you would get a few more MQMs. Thanks for your comments! Happy Travels! Blessings!
Old Jun 28, 2016, 11:20 am

Programs: DL DM/2.9M, AA EXP, *A Gold
Didn't take it all the way through the final payment process, but I had no problem forcing this routing (using DTW in both directions) on ITA and getting through to the booking process on DL.com for $652.96.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NecessaryIndulgences
Didn't take it all the way through the final payment process, but I had no problem forcing this routing (using DTW in both directions) on ITA and getting through to the booking process on DL.com for $652.96.
Haven't gotten ITA to cooperate for me will try again tonight
Old Jun 29, 2016, 8:31 pm

Programs: DL ✈️
https://www.priceline.com/airlines/l...ernalSearch%3E

That's a working link for the $644.96 both ways
Old Jun 30, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: DL DM/2.9M, AA EXP, *A Gold
Originally Posted by tomasdev
https://www.priceline.com/airlines/l...ernalSearch%3E

That's a working link for the $644.96 both ways
That's a good price, but the routing only produces 23,400 MQMs at 2.76cpm.

The $652.96 I referenced is for Csfing1's LAX SFO ATL DTW NRT SIN NRT DTW JFK LAX routing which produces 25,668 MQMs and 2.54cpm.

Those incremental 2,268 MQMs for $8.00 more come out to 0.35cpm .
Old Jun 30, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Nov 7-10 that goes LAX-ATL-DTW-NRT-SIN and return is ~750 right now. It is ~24,500.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 10:32 am

Also September 17 - 20 for SFO-ATL-DTW-NRT-SIN-NRT-JFK-MSP-SFO is available for $690
Old Jun 30, 2016, 6:33 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
LAX Dep
$650 ai 2.55 cpm Oct 17-20 LAX SFO ATL MSP NRT SIN NRT DTW JFK LAX 25,532 MQM BEST PRICES
$653 ai 2.54 cpm Oct 17-20 LAX SFO ATL DTW NRT SIN NRT DTW JFK LAX 25,668 MQM BEST PRICES

$769 ai 2.96 cpm Oct 31-Nov 3 LAX SFO ATL DTW NRT SIN NRT SEA JFK LAX 25,944 MQM
$766 ai Oct 24-27
$800 ai 3.2 cpm Sep 19-22 SFO ATL DTW NRT SIN NRT ATL LAX SFO ~ 25,000 MQM
$805 ai Sep 26-29
$848 ai Sep 21-24 LAX SJC ATL NRT SIN NRT ATL LAX
$850 ai Sep 21-24 LAX SFO ATL NRT SIN NRT ATL LAX
$857 ai LAX CMH ATL NRT SIN NRT DTW ATL LAX
$863 ai Nov 14-17 LAX ATL DTW NRT SIN NRT ATL LAX
Fares from Google.com/flights dates not given prices higher. If you get lower prices please post.

Happy Travels! Blessings!
I am 0/2 for DTW-Asia GUCs right now. The 747s for business are too popular.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by keitherson
I am 0/2 for DTW-Asia GUCs right now. The 747s for business are too popular.
I have 2 SIN runs booked and am waitlisted on every international segment. I'm being told they are really holding back DTW-NRT-DTW and I know NRT-SIN-NRT often clear close to the flight or, in my experience, often at the gate.

Good luck to us all!
Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your help

Thanks for your help and comments, also tried extending time in SIN for 5 or 6 days and was able to get same price if you pick the correct dates.
Happy Travels! Blessings!
Old Jul 1, 2016, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I have 2 SIN runs booked and am waitlisted on every international segment. I'm being told they are really holding back DTW-NRT-DTW and I know NRT-SIN-NRT often clear close to the flight or, in my experience, often at the gate.

Good luck to us all!
Odd because the Nov 7-10 run both ways there is 1 lay flay booked, currently.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Odd because the Nov 7-10 run both ways there is 1 lay flay booked, currently.
My DTW-NRT-SIN leaves on 11/11 and my SIN-NRT-DTW return is 11/13. Not quite as empty but not too booked,

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.