Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] DL: SFO-ATL/JFK-NRT-SIN $1,232.30 ai RT (25,318 mi; 4.9 cpm)

Old Oct 24, 2015, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Wiki/How-To/FAQ: Start here if this is your first time visiting this thread
If you have done this trip please help improve the wiki!

Why would a DL SkyPesos member do this now that RDMs are earned on ticket cost?

Either for the MQMs, or to actually visit SIN FWIW there are posts in the thread about similar itineraries on AA.

How do I search for dates/prices?

One way is to use ITA Matrix. Click on "Advanced routing codes" and enter something along the lines of:
  • outbound: dl+ dtw nrt
  • inbound: dl+ nrt dtw

NOTE: Basic Economy (E) fares have been spotted on this route and come with heavy restrictions. If you want to exclude E fares from your search you can add f ~bc=e in the separate "extension codes" box

See post 1329 for some screenshots (which are now out of date, the routing codes and extension code have been split into two separate input boxes)

You may wish to experiment with things like dtw,atl or x or even x+. Read the advanced routing codes help for more ideas. (DL no longer flies JFK-NRT nonstop)

I found an itinerary that works for me, how do I book it?
  • you can try a multi-city booking on Kayak or Google Flights and click through to Delta (you can save some effort by omitting the implicit/forced connection through NRT for example)
  • if you are comfortable installing add-ons etc. you can use the ITA userscript (see the wiki at the top of that thread)
  • for the less technically-inclined there is also the Book with Matrix helper site (and its related FT thread)
  • call in if none of the above methods work or e.g. you want to add a stopover

Do I need a visa?

No visa is needed for transits (or in fact for visiting up to 90 days, subject to qualifications)
You can get your boarding passes for your Delta return flight at Transit Lounge D, which opens 3 hours before departure.

What are the best seats?

Assuming you're stuck in Y (no GUCs etc.)
Picking a seat (Delta One, Boeing 777)
Master A330-300 (A333) Best Seats Thread

Will there be wifi on the international legs?

DL now touts International Wi-Fi is available on 100% of all wide body, long-haul aircraft providing near global coverage. Given "long-haul" this may not apply to NRT-SIN.

777s should all have wifi: thread #1, thread #2; although it is still subject to coverage/availability, seems to drop out in the far northern parts of the route, and coming down the Russian coast it seemed like http was slow but working and anything else like https took forever and/or was blocked

Delta doesn't seem to sell the Gogo global day pass on their web site but you can buy it directly from Gogo. You can use the same pass on both domestic and international flights in any order as long as it is within 24 hours.

FlexPerks VISA single-flight passes can NOT be used on international flights (they do not appear as a redemption choice when you sign in to Gogo in flight)

Other related threads:

Delta 763 International Wifi Installation Progress (especially posts #7 and #9)

Delta to add Gogo WiFi to international fleet

SIN airport facilities

If you are doing a quick turn, you can remain airside the whole time. There are a number of 24-hour food outlets in the transit mall areas (center of each terminal)

Each of the 3 terminals has their Transit Hotel on Level 3. Prices are similar for all:
-Terminal 1 - Plaza Premium Lounge recently opened Aerotel. Book at: Aerotel Terminal 1
-Terminal 2 and 3 - Harilela Hospitality runs an Ambassador Transit Hotel in each Terminal, above the Orchid Garden and Movie Theater, respectively. Book at: Ambassador Transit Hotels

Note that you can actually stay in either of the 3, regardless of which Terminal you arrive in. However, when leaving the airport, you need to exit through the same Terminal as that you arrived in.

FT thread on Singapore Airport Lounges

Airport website links:
NOTE: even though the DNATA Sky View lounge lists "Delta Airlines" on the airport web page and appears on a skyteam.com lounge search, it is considered by Delta to be third-party-operated, thus if you are STE+ in Y you will not have access. People have reported gaining access on an upgrade to J but YMMV.

There is free wifi either by receiving a text message code, or by scanning your passport. Previous posts mention just giving an email address, maybe try at the info desks. There are also free Internet stations.

NOTE for U.S. and other ~110V travelers: Singapore uses 230V/50Hz. There are plenty of USB charging ports in the seating areas, and most wall adapters for electronics these days are dual voltage (look for writing on the plug like "Input: 100V-240V") but if not or if you need to plug something else in, bring plug and voltage adapters to be safe.

Things to do in SIN

In descriptions of things to see/do airside, when you see "garden" read "smoking area" especially if you won't be there during daylight, the only other main reason people go there is to smoke.

SkyTrain between terminals runs from 5am-2:30am but you can always walk between any of the terminals as well.

Little More than 24 Hours in Singapore especially post #5 in that thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25605453-post1047.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24452870-post836.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24064053-post794.html
Best practices for ~5 hour turnaround at SIN
3 perfect days in Singapore
Singapore's MRT (Mass Rapid Transit)
Destinations > Asia > Singapore FT forum
cheap transportation to Marina Bay Sands (or any hotel) for S$9

Things to do on a long connection through NRT:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24426838-post835.html

Narita Int'l. Airport (NRT) Layover & Hotel Master Thread

There is free wifi in NRT.

Returning to the US

Even if you don't have Global Entry, CBP has a Mobile Passport Control app -- see program info and app website for d/l and list of participating airports which includes ATL (but not DTW)

You will have to pick up checked bags if any, and then everyone has to go through TSA security. International connections usually have their own checkpoint but it may not have PreCheck or CLEAR. If you want to take advantage of either of these, see airport-specific info below.

Through Delta's partnership CLEAR is free for DM, $79 for other Medallions, and $99 for General Members. Click here for more info on the partnership or to sign up.

Relevant FT threads:
Returning via ATL:

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

CLEAR is now open in ATL but only at the domestic end.

For PreCheck, if you arrive in F, when you exit the hallway from customs there is a ticket desk in front of you. Normally the belt for re-checking bags on the left, and TSA screening beyond that. For PreCheck turn instead to the right (away from the drop-off luggage belt) and exit into the arrivals area, go up the escalators, and then you use the regular F terminal security checkpoint.

(It seems like NRT-ATL usually lands in E though... anyone have info to share?)

Returning via DTW:

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread

When you exit customs normally you are directed to the right for rescreening. For PreCheck or CLEAR exit to the left as if you are an local Detroit arriving passenger and you will see some escalators in front of you. Go up 3 sets of escalators (there is a security checkpoint after the 2nd set but it does not have PreCheck). There is also an elevator.

The configuration as of Jan 2017 was, CLEAR without PreCheck was near the top of the escalators. If you have both CLEAR and PreCheck, there is a separate CLEAR lane on the right.

Duty Free Liquids

This post from 2014 says liquor etc must be checked as they cannot pass through screening in NRT/TSA. However this may have changed since then, and duty-free purchases in a Sealed Tamper-Evident Bag (STEB) might be permitted:

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/secu...ection_ss.html

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...g/liquids-rule

FT: Bringing Duty-Free Liquids into USA with a Connecting Flight

If you have any experience with this, please share!

IRROPS handling:

Good at least for one DM: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21923836-post7.html

Trip Reports/Tips:

2016: Dec, Nov, Oct #1, Oct #2, Oct #3, Sep, Apr, Feb

2015: Nov #1, Nov #2, Oct, Sep

2014: Dec, Nov #1, Nov #2, Nov #3, Nov #4, Nov #5, Oct, Sep #1, Sep #2

2013: Oct
Print Wikipost

[FARE GONE] DL: SFO-ATL/JFK-NRT-SIN $1,232.30 ai RT (25,318 mi; 4.9 cpm)

Old Oct 22, 2013, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 2.6 MM
Originally Posted by UKbritt
For those doing these runs..was it worth grabbing EC seats? The back of the plane looks wide open, and I envision myself being able to grab 4 seats back there to sleep..knowing my luck, I will get stuck with a family with a crying baby...I am doing my run Thanksgiving w/e...hopefully most sane folks will be with their families celebrating the holidays...
I usually choose EC and try to have an open seat beside me but they often will fill these seats with those who don't yet have assigned seats, EC is free for me but if you check a day or two before the flight and there is an opening in back you can always change your seat or go back once you get on the plane. If you are blessed enough to get four together that of course is better but your odds might be higher with three. Let me know how it works out as the planes have been pretty full when the flight is ready to go. At the present I have selected a bulkhead aisle EC but could move if there are two open seats with an aisle if seat beside is filled. When my wife goes with me we usually pick an aisle and window if it is 3-4-3 and if not a full load sometimes both aisles of middle section. It is always a big guessing game and depends on load factors. Happy travels and Good Luck on your seats! Cheers!
Old Oct 23, 2013, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Prices on Oct 23

Prices same for LAX, up for SMF and SFO 4.82 - 5.3 cpm

LAX Departures + $.10
$1209.40 ai 25,096 MQM 4.82 cpm LAX JFK NRT SIN NRT JFK LAX

for Nov 10-13, 11-14, 17-20, 18-21. Jan 2014, other dates are higher!

SFO Departures + $137.40
$1332.40 ai 25,318 MQM 4.72 cpm SFO JFK NRT SIN NRT JFK SFO

for Nov 10-13,11-14, 17-20, 18-21, 24-27, 25-28. Jan 2014, other dates fare higher!

SMF Departures + $137.10
$1301.40 ai 24,542 MQM 5.30 cpm SMF ATL NRT SIN NRT ATL SMF

For Nov 11-14, 24-27, Jan 2014, other dates are higher

Prices up $137.10 for SFO and SMF, LAX essentially the same.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Prices on Oct 26

Prices same for LAX, much better for SMF and SFO today 4.6-4.82 cpm

LAX Departures - $.10
$1209.30 ai 25,096 MQM 4.82 cpm LAX JFK NRT SIN NRT JFK LAX

SFO Departures - $168.00
$1164.40 ai 25,318 MQM 4.6 cpm SFO JFK NRT SIN NRT JFK SFO

for Nov 10-13,11-14, 17-20, 18-21, Jan 2014, other dates fare higher!

SMF Departures - $167.10
$1134.30 24,542 MQM 4.62 cpm SMF ATL NRT SIN NRT ATL SMF

For Nov 11-14, 24-27, Jan 2014, other dates are higher

Prices pretty good, less dates. For SFO 24-27 and 25-28 price is $16 higher at $1180.40. If you need MR probably won't get much better, not much more time!
Happy travels! Cheers!
Old Oct 27, 2013, 1:47 pm

Programs: DL-GLD, IHG-PLAT
Thanks for the update - a huge service to the community and especially this Sacramento-based traveler!
Old Oct 28, 2013, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bedderbidder
Thanks for the update - a huge service to the community and especially this Sacramento-based traveler!
Am glad that it is of value to you and whoever else reads the thread. Be sure to get your flu shots ASAP, best price is Costco Pharmacy and it is only $14.99 and you don't have to be a member to go to the pharmacy. If you have Medicare show your card and it is free. It will be $25 - $30 at most other pharmacies. If you are over 60 and have never had the pneumovax immunization for pneumonia you should also get that one as well. Flu shot is also good for children as well and especially important for those with diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease or any other chronic disease. Just tell the person at the door you want to go to the pharmacy and they will let you in! Planes are a great place to be exposed to bugs and stimulate your immune system.

Drink lots of water, move around and sleep in between especially on the long flights. My MR is Nov 11-14 LAX JFK NRT SIN NRT JFK LAX, if anyone is flying those days or at JFK on morning of Nov 12, let me know, can meet at SC in LAX on evening of 11th or JFK morning of 12th or NRT or SIN.

For more information about flu Read USA TODAY for Oct 28 and or also go to
www.CDC.gov/flu

Happy Travels, get your flu shot before your trips. Cheers!

Last edited by Csfing1; Oct 28, 2013 at 2:11 pm Reason: Add information about reasons for immunizations and flu
Old Oct 28, 2013, 8:48 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Csfing1
Am glad that it is of value to you and whoever else reads the thread. Be sure to get your flu shots ASAP, best price is Costco Pharmacy and it is only $14.99 and you don't have to be a member to go to the pharmacy. If you have Medicare show your card and it is free. It will be $25 - $30 at most other pharmacies. If you are over 60 and have never had the pneumovax immunization for pneumonia you should also get that one as well. Flu shot is also good for children as well and especially important for those with diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease or any other chronic disease. Just tell the person at the door you want to go to the pharmacy and they will let you in! Planes are a great place to be exposed to bugs and stimulate your immune system.

Drink lots of water, move around and sleep in between especially on the long flights. My MR is Nov 11-14 LAX JFK NRT SIN NRT JFK LAX, if anyone is flying those days or at JFK on morning of Nov 12, let me know, can meet at SC in LAX on evening of 11th or JFK morning of 12th or NRT or SIN.

For more information about flu Read USA TODAY for Oct 28 and or also go to
www.CDC.gov/flu

Happy Travels, get your flu shot before your trips. Cheers!
Flu shot? I've never got the flu, but also never got the shot before either but you do have a point..
Old Oct 28, 2013, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

You are very blessed to have never had the flu but it wouldn't be too cool to get the flu on a MR or have a MR to make and be too sick to make it or worse yet give it to someone because you made the trip! Also it is recommended for healthy children as you will see from reading the information in USA today and the CDC website healthy children get the flu and unfortunately some of them die, don't let it be a friend or member of your family because they were not immunized. Happy Travels! Cheers!

Last edited by Csfing1; Oct 29, 2013 at 1:17 am Reason: Correct spelling
Old Oct 29, 2013, 8:31 am

Programs: IC.Spire Amb. Turkish Elite
What is this--FT aviation medicine forum ?
Old Oct 29, 2013, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by havepointswilltravel
What is this--FT aviation medicine forum ?
No, but that could be an idea for another thread although flu shots would be under the area of public health and not aviation medicine. At least the comments are stirring up a response and hopefully getting individuals to become aware and consider their personal health.

If you have any serious questions regarding international travel and health, I would refer you to www.cdc.gov/travel as a good place to start.

Have a great day, thanks for your comments. Happy travels! My all your MR be enjoyable and pleasant and get you to the level you desire! Think Big!
Cheers!
Old Oct 30, 2013, 2:11 pm

Csfing1 , is this same run available out of Atlanta?
Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

MR from ATL

Originally Posted by engineerjohn
Csfing1 , is this same run available out of Atlanta?
The run is available from ATL but the prices are much higher $1480+ or higher! Take a repositioning flight to LAX or SFO and prices are better but cost of those flights will definitely run up your cpm cost. How many miles do you need?

If my comments about flu shots help even one person avoid the getting the flu, my objective is accomplished and of course if it helps more avoid the flu, even better!

Happy Travels! Cheers!

Last edited by Csfing1; Oct 30, 2013 at 9:19 pm Reason: Spelling correction
Old Nov 2, 2013, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Last chances for MR for 2013 LAX SIN

LAX Departures + $.30
$1209.60 ai 25,096 MQM 4.82 cpm LAX JFK NRT SIN NRT JFK LAX

Fares from SFO and SMF are $1300 and more.

Making my MR Nov 11-14 LAX JFK NRT SIN NRT JFK LAX, is anyone on on those flights, 9:30 pm dep LAX. Let me know or will meet at transit desk in SIN.
HAPPY TRAVELS! Get your flu shot, have a great week! Cheers!
Old Nov 2, 2013, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Last chances for MR for 2013 LAX SIN

LAX Departures + $.30
$1209.60 ai 25,096 MQM 4.82 cpm LAX JFK NRT SIN NRT JFK LAX

Fares from SFO and SMF are $1300 and more, too high for MR.

Making my MR Nov 11-14 LAX JFK NRT SIN NRT JFK LAX, is anyone on on those flights, 9:30 pm dep LAX. Let me know or will meet at transit desk in SIN.
HAPPY TRAVELS! Get your flu shot, have a great week! Cheers!
Old Nov 5, 2013, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Prices on Nov 5, Go for your dreams, better late than never

Not the best prices but if you need miles fast, consider these for MR.
Prices back up with less dates, if you have procrastinated, you can still get a good MR in but it will cost you more. Remember for next year you will probably get the lowest prices for these runs in July and if they are anything like this year you may be able to make the MR for less than $800 as that is when I got mine for Nov 11-14.

You will also need MQD unless you have a $25,000 spend on an AMX Delta card to get your level for 2015.

Plan ahead, don't wait to the last few months of the year, build up your FlexPerks points and you can get these MR for $00. Reminder if you make charitable contributions and you can use your FlexPerk's credit card, every $1 is worth 3 points therefore a $5000 donation is worth 15,000 FlexPerks points!

LAX departures
$1289.60 ai 25,096 MQM 5.14 cpm LAX JFK NRT SIN NRT JFK LAX
Nov 10-13, 11-14, 17-20, 18-21

SFO departures
$1332.60 ai 25,318 MQM 5.26 cpm SFO JFK NRT SIN NRT JFK SFO
Nov 10-13, 11-14, 17-20,18-21
SMF departures
$1301.60 ai 24,542 MQM 5.3 cpm SMF ATL NRT SIN NRT ATL SMF
Nov 11-14

If anyone is making LAX JFK NRT SIN NRT JFK LAX MR Nov 11-14, let me know!

Get your flu shots! Happy Travels! May all your trips be pleasant and enjoyable! Cheers!
Old Nov 6, 2013, 7:21 am

Thanks, Csfing1. Here is another option from LAX,
LAX departures:
$1071.40 ai 25,274 MQMs LAX JFK MSP NRT SIN NRT JFK LAX Nov 15-20. This itinerary requires a long layover in MSP.

I don't mean to steal your thunder Csfing1.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.